Rockness v TITP

Guest cambyman

I've only been to Rockness once (last year), T 10 times.

I found Rockness far more friendly and laidback than T. And probably a better festival experience. The camping experience is better. It's also cheaper ticketwise.

But what T has over it is locality. 20 mins from my door. Better bands for me. I'm more a Rock fan than Dance. More to do all weekend. The searches are less strict than Rockness, meaning cheaper drink. All my mates go up as it's nearby, even on a day ticket. I meet and camp with people I know from as far away as Aberdeen, we do it every year.

Each to their own but I prefer T. Not that it's a great festival mind you, it's just good for me.

I've only been to Rockness once (last year), T 10 times.

I found Rockness far more friendly and laidback than T. And probably a better festival experience. The camping experience is better. It's also cheaper ticketwise.

But what T has over it is locality. 20 mins from my door. Better bands for me. I'm more a Rock fan than Dance. More to do all weekend. The searches are less strict than Rockness, meaning cheaper drink. All my mates go up as it's nearby, even on a day ticket. I meet and camp with people I know from as far away as Aberdeen, we do it every year.

Each to their own but I prefer T. Not that it's a great festival mind you, it's just good for me.

I well and truly believe that RockNess is a far more enjoyable experience than T in the Park. When I went to T in the Park, I seen a few fights in the campsite, there were reports of a rape incident and a stabbing... I havn't seen/heard anything of the sort at RN! I felt that the site at T was simply too big. Despite the great acts that were on over the weekend, it was impossible to catch them all due to the distance between stages..RN is a more manageable size. I think the atmosphere at T in the Park in general is less friendly, and doesn't have a social/party atmosphere like RockNess has! Don't get me wrong,I still had a great weekend at T in the Park last year seeing a range of acts from Faithless, to Two Door Cinema Club and Madness... but I think I will just stick to RockNess for the future!

at T? although T is much bigger, i think there's more to do at rockness. it has a lot of stages for such a small festival. and then you have things like howards end or the bollywood bar for something a wee bit different than just watching bands. plenty of nice wee places to just chill out and because there's not as many people, you can get around the site easier and do whatever you feel like doing. at T sometimes the amount of people makes it difficult to move around the arena. rockness has a lot more happening after the bands aswell which i think is really important at a festival.

Well there was plenty of tits in our campsite last year. :D

I can see the attraction for yous for Rockness thou Rachel, your type of music, better campsites, less fannies, same distance I think from you etc. But I just think T is handy for us, but that's just me/us.

Been to Rockness twice (the first 2 years) and T in the park 4 times and a few others around the world, i'm more of a dance music fan but I definatley prefer TITP due to the fact i think electro is cack and it tends to dominate Rockness.

The comparison between TITP and Rockness is an unfair and pointless one imo, they are different festivals for different people and TITP is massive, maybe even a victim of its own success. What I do find though from reading this forum and the genreral chat from people I know is a snobby atttiude from Rockness punters when talking about TITP. That blog sums that attitude up for me.

TITP is essentially a 'pop' festival meaning its aimed at a mainstream crowd, unfortunatley for some that attracts a certain type of person and aimed at a younger demographic. i've read alot about the experiances of some on here about TITP being full of 'NEDS' and for there being alot of trouble but I've never encountered any. I also know some friends who had a REALLY bad experiance at rockness that I dont really want to go into on here. I approach TITP like I would any night out in town and the same as i would any other festival, some people would say you shouldnt have to do that at a music festival but for me its all about common sense. I should also point out the first year I went to Rockness someone died of a smack overdose, not every festival is perfect but the TITP detractors all sound like they have some sort of axe to grind.

Musically I dont think rockness does anything TITP doesnt, apart from the electro but that doesnt bother me. All the major acts who have played rockness have at some stage played TITP. For me i'm just happy we have as much choice in festivals that we do have. The future for me personally are festivals abroad, due to other commitments I cant make Benicassim or Monegros this year but ill be saving my cash (and braincells) for foreign travel and festivals in future.

que pelters B)

Edited by Jagerman

Been to T 10 times over the years. It used to be an excellent festival, but after the last couple of years I can safely say "f**k T and all who sail in her". Crap festival with crap people and crap music. They have just went for the lowest common denominator and have zero imagination in their lineup. Witnessed so much trouble in the campsite it's just not work it. Also, it's the most expensive festival in the UK at least, possibly Europe, and I honestly can't see where the money is going. Certainly not on improving my weekend.

I've heard great things about Rock Ness and after missing out on Glasto tickets we've decided to give it a bash.

I'm a big fan of both festivals, but Rockness edges it for me. Fell in love with the festival after seeing Daft Punk in 07 and I'm a bit of a scenery geek - and obviously no festival can match Rockness for that.

One big advantage Rockness has over T though is the distance between the main arena and the campsite. The trek from the campsite to the stages at T is wayyy too long, especially if the weather is sh*t. Every year i miss acts cos of the long walk, queues, trying to round up all my mates etc.

I was also in a bit of a nick on the Saturday at Rockness last year and barely made it back to my tent to crash out....if that had been at T i would have ended up sleeping in a bin!

On the other hand, i feckin LOVE the slam tent so I'll always go to T for that alone! (Well at least until I'm in my 70s ).

I agree with Jagerman about the snobby attitude towards TITP. I think people that love a festival do tend to talk down others. I do it myself. I think the two festivals are completely different. I am more in to Dance and therefore take the Slam tent and a few other bits out of TITP and its not for me. However I can look at the line up and see why it is so popular. Couple of years ago it definately had one of the best line ups of any UK festival. Bit reptitive now as there arent that many big bands to go round all the festivals each year but Rockness has a similar problem. It has been brilliant every year but now I am feeling it is gettng to the point where they are going to start repeating some of the acts. Luckily because it is still a relatively small festival it wont seem like it as much as it does at TITP.

Can't argue that the Slam Tent still boasts an incredible line up every year but if you live in Glasgow then you will probably have seen half of them at Pressure in the last 12 months.