U2 might not be at Glasto!

Guest wilko8

This might not be true, but I'm just putting it out there.

I've been doing some contracting work at Live Nation Entertainment, U2's promotions company, and a guy I got talking to in the dept that takes care of bookings etc. said that the deal for U2 wasn't done yet and it was getting close to the wire for a contract to be finalised. Apparently there are discussions about the staging they want and money. Wouldn't go into any further detail but said it was probably 70/30 against them playing!

Here's hoping....!!!

• Replies 178
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I can believe it given that Coldplay and Beyonce have both been announced, while U2 - who theoretically should have been nailed on months ago - still haven't been confirmed.

But surely both parties really want it to happen, so I'm not sure who benefits from any wrangling? Surely fees aren't a concern, and why would their staging requirements be different from last year?

I can believe it given that Coldplay and Beyonce have both been announced, while U2 - who theoretically should have been nailed on months ago - still haven't been confirmed.

But surely both parties really want it to happen, so I'm not sure who benefits from any wrangling? Surely fees aren't a concern, and why would their staging requirements be different from last year?

If they were already on tour last year, somethings will have already been in place so would have been cheaper to play the festival. If they're not in the middle of touring this year it could be more expensive and so are haggling over those kind of arrangements. Would be surprising though if they didn't play.

I haven't bothered to look up their touring arrangements for last year or this year, so that might all be completely irrelevent of course

Wasn't there loads of theory last year that Dizzee was only on before U2 because it involved very little changeover time from his set up to U2's because he's essentially a couple of mics, decks and a guitarist? Maybe the act booked before U2 this year is more heavily laden instrument-wise which means that U2's stage will be a bit harder to set up in the 30 minute changeover.

Wasn't there loads of theory last year that Dizzee was only on before U2 because it involved very little changeover time from his set up to U2's because he's essentially a couple of mics, decks and a guitarist? Maybe the act booked before U2 this year is more heavily laden instrument-wise which means that U2's stage will be a bit harder to set up in the 30 minute changeover.

What a great way to make sure there are tickets available in the resale. Keep that rumour spreading.

TBH I'd like to see them. I'm not a huge fan but I think they'd put on a great show. If not, well I've already pretty much decided to avoid the Pyramid on Saturday and Sunday. Might end up being Friday as well. Lots to see and do. Can hardly wait.

119 days 19 hours and 8 minutes to go :-)

I would be very dissapointed if U2 are arguing about money and or the stage.

They don't need the money and it's well known that Glasto don't pay big bucks.

They know they can't bring all their bells and whistles to the Pyramid. I was hoping to see them play their classics in a stripped down production. If they feel they can't produce a great performance without the bells and whistles then they really have gone too far up their own arse.

I hope the rumour is wrong but the whole stage set up stinks of why U2 havent played in the past......

Edited by the_hedge

Ok, this is a bit long winded, but, my best mate (who lives in Spain) has spoken to his (ex) wife who is a PA to one of U2. (Cant say which one, but trust me)

Anyhow, she is adamant they are playing. It's in the diary.

HTH.

that theory was knocked back as i recall.

apparently the Pyramid has, for want of a better description, 2 stages inside, one with a band playing, and another out of sight with the next band being set up. at the end of a set, the performing bands gear is wheeled off, backdrop changed and the next lot is ready to go with the minimum fuss possible.

there obviously is a changover time so it's not an instant process, but shouldn't matter too much how much gear a band has on stage with them.

I think they have to play, they will lose (more!) credibility if they dont play this year after what happened last. It would look as is they are only after the money which I do not think to be the case. The reasons being:

They were due to play last year

The Edge did play last year

The Edge said how great Glasto was last year

The U2 website subtley hinted at them playing this year

Rumour that Elbow were playing before U2 (was this real?)

They will look a bunch of arses it the ynow dont play

It would be great to hear something official though, does seem a tad strange that U2 were not confirmed first after what happedned last year

I'm sure they will play. If there is an issue I can guarantee it's NOT a money thing. Let's not start shouting accusations of Bono being a tight arse before we haven't a clue whats going on.

`

Delay is probably down to...

1. U2 are announcing some extra UK dates sometime next year and they want to wait until they are announced.

2. Q/ Guardian have a sponsorship deal where they are the first to officially announce it.

My reckon number 2 and Q will announce it officially in next months Q.

Not a f**king money thing - shut up..