2012 Lineup

Guest Hart Attack

• Replies 16.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Am I right in saying he didn't turn up or was delayed? Really had to drag my arse out of my tent to get up to see them that morning, on a massive comedown after LCD Soundsystem & the night before antics but Futureheads managed to get me over it.

I still can't believe that people would think The Cure would even half consider headlining the tent whilst a band like Kasabian is headlining the main stage. Its only going to happen if they get some sort of special deal (I.e They Headline Latitude and also get to do a special show in the R+L tent, they get get to curate the stage for the day or if they play one of their straight album shows), none of which are likely to happen at Reading+Leeds where they have never played near the top of the lineup before. It would only ever happen as some sort 'favour' for the promotors and quite frankly, The Cure and Melvin Benn don't have that sort of connection.

I still can't believe that people would think The Cure would even half consider headlining the tent whilst a band like Kasabian is headlining the main stage. Its only going to happen if they get some sort of special deal (I.e They Headline Latitude and also get to do a special show in the R+L tent, they get get to curate the stage for the day or if they play one of their straight album shows), none of which are likely to happen at Reading+Leeds where they have never played near the top of the lineup before. It would only ever happen as some sort 'favour' for the promotors and quite frankly, The Cure and Melvin Benn don't have that sort of connection.

Metallica are a popular metal band. Are they pop metal?

Yes they are.

Nowadays they're popular because they're popular, not because their current-output music makes them popular. That has long gone.

Same with Green Day.

Popularity that is fashion led and not music led is pop music.

Edited by eFestivals

I think the original poster was using the term pop as a derogatory one rather than using an accurate description of the term pop/popular, so it needs to be treated with the contempt it deserves rather than actually trying to find a way to agree with him.

Foos can be heavier than Metallica, Kasabian can be as experimental and inventive as Primal Scream and The Cure could put together a set that's 'poppier' than either of them. Using sweeping generalisations as insults makes you look stupid if you don't actually know what you're insulting.

Edited by mrtourette

I think the original poster was using the term pop as a derogatory one rather than using an accurate description of the term pop/popular, so it needs to be treated with the contempt it deserves rather than actually trying to find a way to agree with him.

:lol: - I'm treating it with exactly that sort of contempt. And I'm treating the popularity of the likes of Metallica and Green Day with that contempt.

The songs that their 'fans' like most of those acts are maybe decades old, and didn't gain them the levels of pupularity they have today at the time of release - which would have been their music driving their popularity.

It's become 'cool' to like these bands, a fashion. That's why their popularity today is greater than at the time of the release of those songs.

And that's why they're pop music, because pop music is about fashion and not output.