2012 Lineup

Guest Hart Attack

Touching on that if it is Jay Z & Kayne wouldn't it work more like how Eminem & D12 did when they headlined rather than having one sub to the other and does anyone know how long Eminem & D12 got in 2001?

the fact that Festival Republic could see Jay-Z working is proven by the fact that they booked him as headliner or sub the best part of ten years ago (tho he cancelled for some reason).

• Replies 16.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I can see it happening, watch the throne (jay z and kanye west) is going to be one of the biggest things to happen in years, both have crossover appeal, and throw in them playing the album and their own hits, you've got one memorable show. As for dizzee, he's as mainstream as it gets, and brings in the punters.

People have to bear in mind that the organisers played it safe this year, and it backfired on them, indie music in general isn't the in thing right now, it's all acts like example, swedish house mafia, and when the competition is as high as ever, with another big festival getting thrown into the fray next year, change is needed.

yep, that's about how I see it.

While I wouldn't go as far as saying this year's line-up backfired, it was certainly less immediately popular (as shown by the slower sales) than previous recent festivals have been, and they'll want to address that in some manner.

One of the ways of doing so is to make the line-up more relevant to the mainly-young crowd that attends, and rock bands whose best days were ten years ago are always going to fall flatter with those youngsters compared to acts of any type that are current today.

While Jay-Z/Kanye/Dizzy would all work on their own I just doubt they'd have all three as seperate acts on the same night.

I'm thinking that Jay-Z and Kanye would be together as one act.

I've not mentioned Dizzee, tho I guess he's about due a return. But yeah, they'd probably avoid overloading any day with rappers so as to not scare the rock crowd off completely.

You have to remember though that both kanye are jay z are huge, d12 are pals with eminem and wouldn't have anywhere near as much success if it wasn't for him colloborating with them. The reason I think it would take up two positions is that watch the throne is about an hour long, so too short for a headline performance, but throw in both of them doing a few greatest hits and you've got a big double whammy of a headliner (Plus, by all accounts, the strokes and pulp co-headlining this year seemed to be very well received).

Edited by jump

The reason I think it would take up two positions is that watch the throne is about an hour long, so too short for a headline performance, but throw in both of them doing a few greatest hits and you've got a big double whammy of a headliner (Plus, by all accounts, the strokes and pulp co-headlining this year seemed to be very well received).

Not sure how this would work - would one of them do 30/45 mins, then they do their joint thing, and then the other do 30/45 mins? Or would they just both be on stage for a couple of hours and throw in some of their own hits and when they do the other one goes off stage? Or would they do backing stuff for each other's solo hits? I can't see how it would fit into the structure of the day unless it was just one slot.

To be honest I don't really know what this joint thing is, has it been really well received? Are they doing a joint tour to promote it? It seems odd to put on a headline slot based around one album. Obviously they are big artists but year Jay-Z headlined Glasto was the year that it took a lot longer than normal to sell out and Kanye didn't sell out The Big Chill this year so this needs to be pretty bloody spectacular (objectively, not OMG I LUV THESE GUYS IT'S GUNNA BE SO IMMENSE) to be a legit headline slot.

Tour starts at the end of next month so that will give a good indication. I just find it hard to believe that they'll go on stage, perform the album and not throw in a few of their own tunes. I mentioned co-headlining since both of them have big egos, but as I said, we'll see what the shows like once the tour starts.

Had a quick look on wikipedia, the album has had positive reviews from nearly all the press, and gone platinum within a few weeks of release.

Whilst i'm a big fan of both, I get that r&l isn't usually their place, but together more than justify a headlining spot. Also have to bear in mind that if it comes off, festival republic will have an exclusive, since unless something is revealed soonish, it'll be the throne's first appearance in the uk.

Exactly the same situation I was in, wasn't going to pay stupid amounts when the only decent act was Kanye (Jessie J subbed for christ's sake) and I thought it was a given he'd be doing an arena tour. I still don't regret not buying a ticket though, I don't doubt that his set is amazing (and when I say amazing I don't mean good, I mean it would literally amaze me) but I wasn't paying the £70+ for a shorter set than if he'd done his own tour.

Kanye was absolutely dreadful at Big Chill.

His only saving grace was that he followed Jessie J - an act that could make anyone that followed, even The Smurfs, seem credible.