2012 Lineup

Guest Hart Attack

I'm 17 and i have seen a love all 3 of those bands, and i know a lot of people of my age that also like these bands, i know they are older than a lot of the crowd, but a lot of the crowd like them.

In 2010 i was asked who bands like Arcade Fire are and they are a fairly recent band, whereas i highly doubt that there will be many people who attend the festival that haven't heard of those three bands.

I think if it is true and these three are the headliners then i would be very happy, however i would have The Prodigy subbing to Jay Z/ Kanye.

• Replies 16.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It would be having The Prodigy headline again though after a longtime out.

Green Day's 1st UK Fest headline show in a long time and fans have been calling for ages now.

Foo's again goes without saying.

Jay - Z and Kanye would be knew but Jay - Z has played before and has headlined others, so has Kanye so that doesn't figure.

This year, MCR did it but had headlined elsewhere.

Arcade Fire is the noticeable one but the crowd there made the crowd for Pendulum at NME silly,

If you look at why the conversation started, it was being mentioned that booking these headliners isn't exactly looking forward, if anything it's taking a step backwards. R+L is constantly touted as the fest which gives newer acts their chance to headline, but if Benn continuously books acts like that, he's not helping either the act or the fest to move forward.

With all respect to Dukeyy, you're too old to matter for R+L now. Of course they care about what you want etc. etc., but by now, you've already made your mind up on the fest. If R+L look at what younger people attending their first fest want (15/16 year olds) and give the bands that are popular with them (MCR etc.) their big chance, chances are, they will remember that, and always have a place for R+L.

The mainstream festival demographic appears to be in a very weird place currently, and R+L has to respond to that. While Glasto will always have the hardcore who will book without a line-up, not every fest is that lucky. With a dramatic change with regards to V Fest/T/Soni/DL over the past couple of years, and smaller festivals such as Bestival becoming massively popular, R+L needs to look at what it can do to secure younger fans for the long term, otherwise they will go to V etc. etc.

Last year it would appear the crowd rushed out to get V tickets rather than Reading, this year V will announce again first and shift a fuck load of tickets and Reading will be aiming to get people who didnt get lucky with tickets, if they like the bill they'll go if not they may go elsewhere.

Theres not a lot of major upcoming alternaive acts who are outside of the x factor mould for Reading to get, Soni and Download snap them up, V get the pop acts, Reading is getting left behind.

I believe selling a bag load of tickets and getting this festival headlined by who people actually want is the right direction. People don't want a lot of what we had this year as it took yonks to sell out. Foo's, Green Day and The Prodigy will fly. Biffy Clyro, Bloc Party and I'm going to say Mumford & Sons a subs, tickets will fly.

Who does everyone think is an act who hasn't headlined a major fest anywhere else that Reading could be the first festival to give that act a headline slot who also fits their target audience AND would make tickets fly out the door? Gotta say, im struggling.

Edited by GRichards23

Also struggling, but i can think of acts who could/should be given headline chances... Couple would prob suit headlining Soni or Download but struggling for R&L, would've considered saying Paramore but there is a lot of 50/50 about them... Maybe Nickelback? i know they are controversial but would certainly put on a great show and i think would make quite alot buy tickets, specially if the undercard was good.

Nickelback

Paramore

Green Day

The Prodigy

Foo Fighters

Biffy Clyro

Gazza

EDIT BUTTON!

Jay Z has headlined enough, the arguement that he hasn't done it with Kanye is non existant, it would be sold on Jay Z's name with Kanye on top!

Im talking about elavating talent to the next level.

Soni did it with Biffy

Download tried and failed with lostprophets

Glasto did it with Kings of Leon

Download did it with Slipknot

Glasto/V/TITP all did it the same year with The Killers

TITP/V did it with Kasabian

The last ones I can rememeber Reading did it for was Arctic Monkeys and Arcade Fire.

Who does everyone think is an act who hasn't headlined a major fest anywhere else that Reading could be the first festival to give that act a headline slot who also fits their target audience AND would make tickets fly out the door? Gotta say, im struggling.

A guess taking the idea of Jay & Kanye as 3rd headliners rather than The Prodigy:

Friday

Main:

Jay-Z & Kanye West

Daft Punk

Mumford & Sons

The Maccabees

We Are Scientists

The Black Keys

R1/NME:

Pixies

Death Cab For Cutie

The Subways

Saturday

Main:

Green Day

The Prodigy

Florence + The Machine

The XX

Bombay Bicycle Club

The Vaccines

R1/NME:

Chase & Status

Justice

Bon Iver

Sunday

Main:

Foo Fighters

Biffy Clyro

Avenged Sevenfold

Lostprophets

You Me At Six

The Blackout

R1/NME:

Foals

Two Door Cinema Club

Magnetic Man

Would probably be very expensive to book though and all 3 headliners would have to get 2 hours each probably making it possibly unrealistic.

A guess taking the idea of Jay & Kanye as 3rd headliners rather than The Prodigy:

Friday

Main:

Jay-Z & Kanye West

Daft Punk

Mumford & Sons

The Maccabees

We Are Scientists

The Black Keys

R1/NME:

Pixies

Death Cab For Cutie

The Subways

Saturday

Main:

Green Day

The Prodigy

Florence + The Machine

The XX

Bombay Bicycle Club

The Vaccines

R1/NME:

Chase & Status

Justice

Bon Iver

Sunday

Main:

Foo Fighters

Biffy Clyro

Avenged Sevenfold

Lostprophets

You Me At Six

The Blackout

R1/NME:

Foals

Two Door Cinema Club

Magnetic Man

Would probably be very expensive to book though and all 3 headliners would have to get 2 hours each probably making it possibly unrealistic.

Gazza

EDIT BUTTON!

Jay Z has headlined enough, the arguement that he hasn't done it with Kanye is non existant, it would be sold on Jay Z's name with Kanye on top!

Im talking about elavating talent to the next level.

Soni did it with Biffy

Download tried and failed with lostprophets

Glasto did it with Kings of Leon

Download did it with Slipknot

Glasto/V/TITP all did it the same year with The Killers

TITP/V did it with Kasabian

The last ones I can rememeber Reading did it for was Arctic Monkeys and Arcade Fire.

Edited by thesecretingredientiscrime

With regards to the above posted line-up, too many headliners/big bands. Daft Punk are too big (and would probably turn it down) to sub, Black Keys would headline NME at least, Death Cab are too big to sub, Justice are too big to sub and you've got three NME headliners on the Sunday.

Which makes me wonder why you didn't go Download last year? You have them tattoo across your back but you went to IOW & Leeds instead i hope the rest of your body is covered in tattoos of bands that played them 2 festivals :banghead: