Ive Found Out Whos Headlining The Other Stage On Sunday!

Guest nufc1978

Lack of ambition in the sense that they are simply arena band bookings, they are soulless bookings, a pop diva who plays for dictators and U2 who have been a joke for years. Glastonbury festival of contemporary arts is losing both the contemporary part and the art part.

I can't think of safer more middle of the road collection of headliners they could of possibly booked, its turning the pyramid stager into f**king henman hill. Complete lack of artistic imagination or ambition to capture the Zeitgeist, its as if Jeremy Clarkson is doing the bookings.

They made a claim a few year ago they wanted more young people to come to glasto well this line up appeals to middle aged men and women and people and will keep the glasto crowd getting older and older.

f**ks sake I'm miserable.

• Replies 249
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest blackcockerel

Ed209: sadly to me Eavis's answer looks like a straightforward no to me.

Having said that I'm still desperately looking for the slightest hint of a clue to it being wrong. A message was just sent to the band's mailing list which ended with "in the meantime...keep the faith". What a sad deluded fool I have become!

there's so many bloody pulp are they/aren't they related threads that I don't know where to post this, but is it at all possible that Pulp can't be announced as playing Glasto until Reading/Leeds tickets have sold out, which they haven't (muhahahah).

Eavis didn't volunteer the information they won't be playing, he was just responding to a direct question. Benn could have him over a barrel on this one.

Or I could just be inventing things in my head

- The headliners don't really break a norm. People have said they need to take more risks, but when have they ever made risks on headliners? 2008 was hardly risky, it was obvious Jay would perform. Arguably the biggest risk taken in a long time is Jaxx headlining in '05.

I'm with Pablo here, this year's crop of headliners is pretty bland, as was last year's. The last time Glastonbury booked a current act on top of their game to headline was Arctic Monkeys, and before them probably White Stripes.

Since then we've had Bruce, Neil Young and Blur - all past it.

Gorillaz, Muse, Stevie W - Muse is hardly going to excite anyone second time round.

Jay-z was probably the last headliner I really enjoyed.

I know Glastonbury has loads of other stuff going on blah blah blah but sometimes it is nice to gather as one in front of the Pyramid and see a headline act write Glastonbury history. I think other festivals have stolen a march on Glastonbury in terms of headliners recently, Reading seems to get better headliners now, and that never used to happen.

In my opinon they missed a trick by not having Arcade Fire, the best band in the world on top of their game, headline. But they might not have excited the old farts (and I'm no spring chicken) who just seem to want to tick off the legends

This is confusing. So Young/Springsteen/Blur is inferior to Reading's line-up that year of KOL(2008 Glastonbury headliner)/Arctic Monkeys(2007 Glastonbury headliner)/Radiohead (twice previous Glastonbury headliners)? All bands that 'wouldn't excite anyone second time around?'

Reading had great headliners in 2008 but since then the only real success they've had is Arcade Fire, and as they seem to have turned down every festival in the UK this year to do their own shows it doesn't look like that was ever a possibility for Glastonbury. Could you really see Blink 182 or MCR headlining Glastonbury over U2 or Stevie Wonder?

You have to remember the constraints Glastonbury works within. They've managed to get U2 playing for probably about a sixth of what The Libertines got for Leeds/Reading last year, or The Strokes will get this year.

Gaga would have been a much more interesting and daring booking than Beyonce I think. Considering she will probably headling V/T in the Park/Wireless/or something next year (although ... maybe Beyonce will) and it would have been ahead of the game of Glastonbury had booked her this year. Much like they got her first real festival performance over un the U.K two years ago.

Beyonce was a safer bet. She's probably been virtually booked since Jay Z played.

I agree with most sentiments of what you've said, but would agree that Jay-Z was a risk.

I don't recall a Hip Hop artist headlining any of the major festivals before that point although could be wrong.

Edited by Messi30

I love reading these threads and will almost miss them once the lineup is announced - but then I'll have the next batch of why oh why threads to read so it's all good :D

I'm kinda in the camp that much as I don't like the 3 Pyramid headliners - after being super excited and blown away by Gorillaz and Stevie last year - I can see, with 2 of them at least, that they are pretty mental bookings.

Beyonce - not feeling it but she's huge. She's a more out there booking than Gaga who has already played Glastonbury - I did a quick Google and apart from coming on stage with Jay Z at Coachella she's never been near a festival (I'm waiting for someone to prove this one wrong :D ). If Gaga had been announced would anyone have been as surprised as when it was announced it was Bouncy? Admittedly I'd be happier to have Gaga but hey ho. She's obvs not doing it because she needs the money, the exposure or is on the festival express like a lot of artists. I can only think it's her experience with Jay Z that has made her WANT to do it. Imagine her wanting to do Leeds? I don't like her but I can totally see what a coup she is.

Ditto U2. Insanely huge coup. And again there is no other reason for them to be arsed doing Glastonbury apart from the fact they want to. Deffo don't need the money or exposure. Could probably do with the 'cool' points it'll rack them up <_< . But again I can't see them being arsed about doing any other festival, why would they?

I suppose when there are so many festivals out there now and so many of the same bands go round and round the merry go round appearing at them off and on, to maintain your edge, maintain your difference must be hellish difficult for the organisers. I suppose Glastonbury could go the easy obvious route and book the current big thing (oh Arcade Fire, how wrong you are, how very very wrong!) but if they did we'd all be moaning our faces off about that.

I'm deliberately not mentioning Coldplay - the one 'lazy' booking if you ask me (but what do I know?). The GF keeps saying she likes them and I keep having to remind her that she's having another Muse moment - likes the earlier stuff, gets a bit confused and thinks that means we should go see them :D

I love reading these threads and will almost miss them once the lineup is announced - but then I'll have the next batch of why oh why threads to read so it's all good :D

I'm kinda in the camp that much as I don't like the 3 Pyramid headliners - after being super excited and blown away by Gorillaz and Stevie last year - I can see, with 2 of them at least, that they are pretty mental bookings.

Beyonce - not feeling it but she's huge. She's a more out there booking than Gaga who has already played Glastonbury - I did a quick Google and apart from coming on stage with Jay Z at Coachella she's never been near a festival (I'm waiting for someone to prove this one wrong :D ). If Gaga had been announced would anyone have been as surprised as when it was announced it was Bouncy? Admittedly I'd be happier to have Gaga but hey ho. She's obvs not doing it because she needs the money, the exposure or is on the festival express like a lot of artists. I can only think it's her experience with Jay Z that has made her WANT to do it. Imagine her wanting to do Leeds? I don't like her but I can totally see what a coup she is.

Ditto U2. Insanely huge coup. And again there is no other reason for them to be arsed doing Glastonbury apart from the fact they want to. Deffo don't need the money or exposure. Could probably do with the 'cool' points it'll rack them up <_< . But again I can't see them being arsed about doing any other festival, why would they?

I suppose when there are so many festivals out there now and so many of the same bands go round and round the merry go round appearing at them off and on, to maintain your edge, maintain your difference must be hellish difficult for the organisers. I suppose Glastonbury could go the easy obvious route and book the current big thing (oh Arcade Fire, how wrong you are, how very very wrong!) but if they did we'd all be moaning our faces off about that.

I'm deliberately not mentioning Coldplay - the one 'lazy' booking if you ask me (but what do I know?). The GF keeps saying she likes them and I keep having to remind her that she's having another Muse moment - likes the earlier stuff, gets a bit confused and thinks that means we should go see them :D

Fair play, I have good reason not to know they headlined though, was only 16 in 1999 and didn't have festival going mates :P

I did know about Eminem headlining Leeds/Reading, but had forgot when typing before.

I'd still stand by Jay-Z being a risk though, given the fact that the only act in the 10years between was Eminem who was very "commercial" in comparison to Jay-Z.

Acts like U2 and Bouncy playing is only a good thing, in my eyes. These are artists that are phenomenally popular and prepared to head the bill for a very low fee compared to what they are used to merely because they 'get it', understanding that there is a big difference between glastonbury, an annual event in our national heritage now, and a music festival. U2 are anything but a festival band, clearly they are playing because it is something that they really want to do and view it as more than just another gig.

Coldplay are also playing, but meh. I expect that is because they have been badgering the eavii constantly every year, I've always suspected that a large part of ME's explanation of having sorted headliners for the following years is where he is offering a spot to artists who couldn't fit that year into their schedules.

We are still no closer to discovering who that last OS headliner is though. I get the feeling that people would be disappointed with underworld, Lady Gaga could pull it off maybe (alot of buzz about her performance in 2009, but I was elsewhere).

I see I'm not the only one who refers to Ms Beyoncé Knowles as "Bouncy" and I just had a flash of inspiration as to just who the perfect Glastonbury Pyramid Stage headliners would be and it would be Radiohead then a fully-reformed, one-time-only, The Jam and, finally, a reformed Pink Floyd; just who wouldn't want to see that?

That wasn't the same year The Darkness headlined, Jay Z was supposed to play about 3rd top on the Main Stage in 03 and was replaced by The Darkness. The Darkness headlined in their own right in 04, for the life of me I don't know why.

• 3 weeks later...