Ive Found Out Whos Headlining The Other Stage On Sunday!

Guest nufc1978

Look. Don't get me wrong, Pablo is being way too neg and annoying (fun police).

But, his basic point is surely right. For average music fans like myself and the people I'm going with, we have a US RnB/pop star who has (i would guess) very little following outside the teen girl demographic, a huge global band who lost all attractiveness about a decade ago, and a British band which has headlined before, done very little since it last headlined, isn't cool, and seems to have fallen behind bands it was previously ahead of.

I mean in the likes of Arcade Fire and Elbow you have bands with a proven record of making good records who are at the top of their game. I'm amazed one of these two weren't put in a headline slot. Then, instead of Coldplay, you have a bunch of bands who have stayed stronger in the hearts of the punter (Pulp, Strokes etc) or even the likes of Daft Punk, Pearl Jam, Dr Dre who could have brought something new to the party...

Edited by danbailey80

• Replies 249
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i'm sure it will be the streets none of these dream acts like daft punk, pearl jam et are going to happen, it will be someone good but no one really special, that's why i think it will be the streets, will be a good farewell gig before he gives it up, can def see this happening

Glastonbury getting older, and older? Yes this is true, but at what age

do you think you should not be allowed to enjoy Glastonbury?

The festival is 40 yes 40 years old. That means if you started going in

early days when you were a teenager, you will be pushing 60 years old!

So unless you want age limits on who can go to glastonbury, the old

faithful punters will keep returning year, after year, after year.

And imho should be catered for. The young have always liked new and

young music, but these young artists/bands although good do not have

the back catalouge or the stage craft imo to headline such a big

festival. But when they do have credits behind them to headline such

festivals, guess what? that's right, the bloody young-uns start winging

about the oldies always getting to headline.

This is how it always has been, and always will be.

P.S. Teenagers have plenty of festivals for the young. So lets just

leave Glastonbury as it is eh! It's still the best aint it?

Edited by LondonTom

I'm with Pablo here, this year's crop of headliners is pretty bland, as was last year's. The last time Glastonbury booked a current act on top of their game to headline was Arctic Monkeys, and before them probably White Stripes.

Since then we've had Bruce, Neil Young and Blur - all past it.

Gorillaz, Muse, Stevie W - Muse is hardly going to excite anyone second time round.

Jay-z was probably the last headliner I really enjoyed.

I know Glastonbury has loads of other stuff going on blah blah blah but sometimes it is nice to gather as one in front of the Pyramid and see a headline act write Glastonbury history. I think other festivals have stolen a march on Glastonbury in terms of headliners recently, Reading seems to get better headliners now, and that never used to happen.

In my opinon they missed a trick by not having Arcade Fire, the best band in the world on top of their game, headline. But they might not have excited the old farts (and I'm no spring chicken) who just seem to want to tick off the legends

We all know it's not U2 that's the problem and Beyonce would complement a Saturday headliner who was a bit more daring.

Replace Coldplay with either Arcade Fire, The Strokes, Foo Fighters or even bloody Iron Maiden and you have some interesting complements.

On the Beyonce note, I think booking her over Gaga/Rihanna is a big mistake too.

Also I love how this guy talks about middle class safe bookings and then immediately stakes a claim for Elbow.

Brilliant lets just make it exclusive to you old folk yes? Where do you think new headliners are going come from if they are never given the chance to be up there? Or if the festival will survive going forward only catering to the older generation, they won't end up with lifetime fans who keep going back over and over again. What an utter tosh post, its big enough to cater for both and that includes the Pyramid getting some the biggest younger bands a chance to have at it.

Brilliant lets just make it exclusive to you old folk yes? Where do you think new headliners are going come from if they are never given the chance to be up there? Or if the festival will survive going forward only catering to the older generation, they won't end up with lifetime fans who keep going back over and over again. What an utter tosh post, its big enough to cater for both and that includes the Pyramid getting some the biggest younger bands a chance to have at it.

The problem with Pyramid headliners now is that the festival relies on selling 170,000 odd tickets and this means a packed out field at headline time. 2008 - Jay Z year, was the first year of having the capacity at this level. You can argue that numbers were higher in the fence jumping days, but that was a very different type of punter.

Elbow, just like The Gorillaz, could appeal at headline time to a field of people who love them. At the Pyramid this means a field which is more sparsely populated and sitting round campfires from about half way back, like the old days. Selling out arenas across your own tour does not equalte to 80,000+ in The Pyramid field at Glastonbury unless you are a Radio 1 mainstay - someone whose tunes are so ubiqitous that even people who only "quite like them" have many of their tunes subliminally imprinted. All 3 of this years headlliners fall into this category.

Unfortunately - half of the people that go to Glastonbury would turn up for Elbow and pack the field out just because it's the headliner and because they like "On a day like this", and then spoil it for everyone else by talking amongst themselves for the rest of the set or loudly proclaiming how bored they are as they are as they leave halfway through.

Everyone who likes Glastonbury to be a bit edgier, or who wishes it was a bit more like it used to be, simply needs to write off the Pyramid at that time of night to a large extent and find something else to do - and everyone that's moaning actually already knows that this isn't that difficult!

The old Glastonbury is still there, but not last thing at the Pyramid. I am afraid that The Pyramid field is designed to shift twice as many tickets as any other festival - this means it needs to be mainstream. It's how it is. On the other hand, it is that income which allows Mr Eavis to build the massive site full of lots of more interesting and quirky stuff elsewhere. Beyonce & U2 are helping to bring in the money for Avalon, Arcadia, & Shangrila, and the theatre & cabaret & poetry. So it's not all bad is it?

Edited by amfy

Not sure I agree with most of that post... but I particularly don't get this point. For starters Glastonbury routinely sells out before the headliners are announced. And secondly, I think people absolutely come to glastonbury regardless of who the headliners are (in comparison to other fests) so I would have thought that gives more leeway to ME to choose whoever he wants.

The other thing I just thought of is that yes, we all put down our deposits without knowing who the headliners are, but this week we're deciding whether to pay the balance or not, and we do know who they are.

See I don't think Beyonce is that relevant to a younger crowd I think shes more early 30s wheres going have her big fans from the destiny's child error, I'd say Lady GaGa would be better (and cos shes a bit different even if its marketing seems to have a wider appeal to Beyonce). Theres a lot of wrong with Beyonce shes hardly being given a chance to shine, the masses who like her will still like and people hate her will still hate her.

See what your saying, I was a bit ratty about it and to an I am not saying put just anyone on the Pyramid, but that MD position still will eventually need someone new to take up the reigns whose never done it before, you eventually will need to take a risk on someone to continue to have people to take up that position.

there's so many bloody pulp are they/aren't they related threads that I don't know where to post this, but is it at all possible that Pulp can't be announced as playing Glasto until Reading/Leeds tickets have sold out, which they haven't (muhahahah).

Eavis didn't volunteer the information they won't be playing, he was just responding to a direct question. Benn could have him over a barrel on this one.

Or I could just be inventing things in my head

The problem with Pyramid headliners now is that the festival relies on selling 170,000 odd tickets and this means a packed out field at headline time. 2008 - Jay Z year, was the first year of having the capacity at this level. You can argue that numbers were higher in the fence jumping days, but that was a very different type of punter.

Elbow, just like The Gorillaz, could appeal at headline time to a field of people who love them. At the Pyramid this means a field which is more sparsely populated and sitting round campfires from about half way back, like the old days. Selling out arenas across your own tour does not equalte to 80,000+ in The Pyramid field at Glastonbury unless you are a Radio 1 mainstay - someone whose tunes are so ubiqitous that even people who only "quite like them" have many of their tunes subliminally imprinted. All 3 of this years headlliners fall into this category.

Unfortunately - half of the people that go to Glastonbury would turn up for Elbow and pack the field out just because it's the headliner and because they like "On a day like this", and then spoil it for everyone else by talking amongst themselves for the rest of the set or loudly proclaiming how bored they are as they are as they leave halfway through.

Everyone who likes Glastonbury to be a bit edgier, or who wishes it was a bit more like it used to be, simply needs to write off the Pyramid at that time of night to a large extent and find something else to do - and everyone that's moaning actually already knows that this isn't that difficult!

The old Glastonbury is still there, but not last thing at the Pyramid. I am afraid that The Pyramid field is designed to shift twice as many tickets as any other festival - this means it needs to be mainstream. It's how it is. On the other hand, it is that income which allows Mr Eavis to build the massive site full of lots of more interesting and quirky stuff elsewhere. Beyonce & U2 are helping to bring in the money for Avalon, Arcadia, & Shangrila, and the theatre & cabaret & poetry. So it's not all bad is it?

Edited by danbailey80

I myself thought should i go see muse?when they will probably be at next years leeds/readings,like they are.

or should i go to the west holts and see a band i wouldnt be likely to see at any other Uk festival,

and probably never see again or would never have seen had it not been at glasto.

So i wondered to the west holts to see parliament/george clinton!(right after catching most of billy bragg in the nice small sweaty left field tent!).

Was well worth it,really nice vibe there,everyone chilled and dancing,no screens,no cameras,really different and enjoyable.