issues with school

Guest chris northwest

Of course it happens. It happens rarely obviously, but I'd say with absolute certainty it happens. The difference between a pass and a fail, or a C and a D, in any given exam is one mark. And maybe that comes down to one fact that happened to be emphasised on

those three days. Obviously that's hugely unfair and we can get in to the whole "are exams really the best way to assess kids" argument. But it does happen. Same as if they'd missed a few days with the flu. There will always be borderline cases where one day will make a difference. Your kid probably isn't one, but some are.

Great in theory, but you try explaining to Mrs X that the reason her darling son isn't allowed out of school during term time so they can have a cheaper holiday in Spain, while his friends all are, is that he's a bit on the dumb side.

• Replies 128
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Lol! Of course there is! That post is just one example, what if someone else says their child went to Glasto and subsequently failed all of their exams! That would be another argument, haha!

The fact is all kids are differemt, some need everyday possible in school and others can afford a few days off to get the same results.

Some strong opinions here from people who don't work in education and/or don't have children.

I've tried to explain, using my knowledge as a teacher, but I guess in this argument the ethos is firm rooted into the individual’s personality. Each to their own, (literally).

To conclude - I'm so relieved that I'm not someone that would keep a child from the experience of Glastonbury with their family for 2 days off school just in case they have a question in 3 years time in a GCSE that means they get a C and not a B in History.

Edited by danbailey80

Some strong opionions here from people don't work in education and/or have children.

I've tried to explain, using my knowledge as a teacher, but I guess in this argument the ethos is firm rooted into the individual’s personality. Each to their own, (literally).

To conclude - I'm so relieved that I'm not someone that would keep a child from the experience of Glastonbury

with their family for 2 days off school just in case they have a question in 3 years time in a GCSE that means they get a C and not B in History.

so what about kids who already struggle? what's your perspective on those? our yr 10 really really struggles with maths. He's got a gcse module the Tuesday before Glasto, he'll be doing that, then we'll be dropping all five of them to their gran's in Wales for a week while we head to Glasto. I know already that the school is going to make me feel like satan's mother for taking him out for a week, and then add to that my own feelings of guilt that he's missing school

time. He's fine with all his other subjects, gets good grades in them, often in those does more work than he needs to, but I know that whilst we are gone, he'll miss 3 maths lessons.... a subject he already struggles with. Odds are, he's been told, he'll end up retaking it in 6th form anyway, so do I just not worry?

It's all about balance I suppose. They have all missed school in the past for what I would call life-enriching experiences, and I know that for the week they are in Wales they'll be doing equally enriching things....but there's always 'the guilt'....... I want to do the best for my kids and do right by them...... but at the same time that one week at Glasto where I just get to be...it makes me a better person, a better parent.

Gaaaarrrgggghh!!

Edited by danbailey80

Basically, it all depends on the child really. If you think that your child won't miss much (chances are that unless it's exam period they won't) then take them out, there's no problem. However if your child has exams then I'd advice not going (although I did with an exam on Monday morning) which leads me onto my next point. If you feel that your child is doing well enough and is on target for everything they'll need then missing school (which let's face it, isn't as effective as it could be) won't hinder them, I have examples if you wish. But if your child is the type that really needs to revise hard before an exam or shortly after having learnt a certain subject then I'd say Glastonbury could wait.

I also agree that it's necessary that the child has previously good attendnece as, contradictary as it seems, missing more than a few days in a row will damage your education. This is because if you're there for even a small (1-3 lessons) section of a subject, it's easier to pick up and understand than if you miss a whole week or more completely missing out a whole subject. This makes it very difficult when you come back.

I totally understand those who say school is more beneficial than Glastonbury, but I don't think they really understand the ways and faults of the current education system. It may not be the systems fault, but unless you go to a VERY good school, chances are, missing a few days won't harm you in the slightest. If your children are hard working, they'll have no problem catching up and they'll have learnt more than the majority in their class.

So, overall, I completely agree that Glastonbury is more beneficial to a child (bar pre exam revision crackdown periods), however as I've said it all depends on your child. Do what's best for your kids. And as you've said they've not got exams, then I see no reason as to why you shouldn't go if they're hardworking and their attendence is good.

I sympathise greatly with your dilemma, it's a tricky situation, and a little different as he's not actually going with you. But you're right, it's all about balance and I do believe the time you have there does indirectly make you a better parent, and I'm sure he does/ will understand. I know you can't help feeling guilty, but maybe you could find out what he's missing and try to catch it up with you, 1 to 1 when you return. Means you get 1 on 1 time and Maths catch up! You'd be surprised what google could help with if you typed in, for example, 'Key Stage 2 algebra'!). Just an idea, it might not be hugely fruitful but it might ease the guilt and help you relax more over the week. Likewise, £20 will get you an hours Maths lesson with a tutor to catch up those 3 lessons. If not, just relax, accept he simply needs a little more time to pass it and sort it out for next year.

P.S. He will pass Maths, either this term, or next. Many children struggle with Maths alone. They battle through it, pass it, say f**k off Maths, and are grateful they will never be an accountant.

Hope this helps you and have a great festival.

:)

It's just so odd, he just can't seem to figure it out- when he revises maths it just wipes him out, not just mentally- it's like it physically exhausts him too- after an hour of maths revision he is completely knackered, like every bit of energy he has in him has been wiped out.

telling him he'd need maths to do this

Mind you I do believe in a kind of "maths/dyslexia" think its called "dyscalculia" but we dont talk about it much or have any real strategies to overcome it.

The more 1-1 time he does in a relaxed environment the better, and the more practice papers the better too. Even if they are different exam board, there is still big overlap. Lots of free resources on the AQA and Edexcel websites. Other games oriented websites too (google "manga maths")

www.dyscalculiaforum.com

Dan, Al......... having gone off and done a bit of research...... all I can say is thank you. So much. Reading through the symptoms, the typicalities of someone with dyscalculia - it's like they were describing my son. Talking it over with him, you could see the relief on his face- just because he cannot get his head round maths no matter how hard he tries doesn't mean he's stupid- that there may be a reason for it.

A few words written on a festival forum making all the difference. thank you thank you thank you!!

We're going to speak to the SEN co-ordinator and

maths teacher at school, and see if this can be investigated, and what extra help we can give him.

I believe I owe you both a rather large drink at the fest!!

Gosh, this will be my 3 younger girls' 5th Glastonbury & I've never asked permission. The lovely school my youngest goes to (her sisters went there until they were 11) is great. I write a note each year informing the school that they are going & get a nice note back. One year, the headteacher even checked that I had managed to get tickets when my letter was a bit late. The school my 12yo attends is hardline about absences of any sort, so I won't tell them anything. I'll just send in a note afterwards. I don't need to worry what they think as theitr inflexible attitude means she will be moving in September. My 15 year old has decided to take a term off school, so there is no 'school' issue but she may have to meet us onsite, depending on exam dates, as she's taking her maths GCSE early. To the original poster - they are your children. Ensuring they are educated is your responsibility & I'm sure you know far better than the school whether taking a few days off to go to Glastonbury would damage their education.

Dan, Al......... having gone off and done a bit of research...... all I can say is thank you. So much. Reading through the symptoms, the typicalities of someone with dyscalculia - it's like they were describing my son. Talking it over with him, you could see the relief on his face- just because he cannot get his head round maths no matter how hard he tries doesn't mean he's stupid- that there may be a reason for it.

A few words written on a festival forum making all the difference. thank you thank you thank you!!

We're going to speak to the SEN co-ordinator and

maths teacher at school, and see if this can be investigated, and what extra help we can give him.

I believe I owe you both a rather large drink at the fest!!

This all seems a bit ridiculous.

If they have exams don't take them

If they don't just do it. They are your kids, it is their future and if the school is worried about truancy they can mark it as authorised. There doesn't seem to be an issue to me. That headmaster needs to stop being a facist, no school does any real work in the last weeks of the year especially if they don't have exams.

Simples.

No I wasn't boasting about my kids! I was just making the point that you don't know what outcomes attending festivals can lead to when you are young and impressionable. It could have been a less fortunate outcome :(

As a family holiday I would rate Glastonbury higher than any Disney theme park

To conclude - I'm so relieved that I'm not someone that would keep a child from the experience of Glastonbury with their family for 2 days off school just in case they have a question in 3 years time in a GCSE that means they get a C and not a B in History.