Tips on using your coolbox.

Guest JodiB

Tesco have an offer on at the moment. Highland spring 12 x 500ml spring water, Two for £4.

Morrisons also do value water (not spring water) for about 10p each.

If you have a Makro near you you can get a 24 pack of Rioba spring water for about £2.70.

• Like 1

• Replies 177
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Do you mean because you are travelling a long way you reckon ice bags on Tuesday night will be more effective than the method I suggested?

I reckon that would be a mistake. Trust me. Do what I explained on the original post and you will be laughing, especially do the precharging. Ice melts loads faster than frozen water bottles or large ice blocks.

Last year we left home on Tuesday morning and stayed over in Street. (down the road from Glastonbury) We still had ice cold cans and half frozen water by Monday afternoon and the weather was sweltering most of the time. I also recommend filling it at least one third to half with ice bottles. You will inevitably have too much beer to cool in one go so leave some out and as you drink the cold ones replace with the tepid ones. This method is way way better than filling with beers and only having a bit of ice.

You have a brilliant coolbox (coleman xtreme get much better reviews than igloo) but if you don't precharge it and use just small ice cubes to cool it you may be disappointed with it.

Have a cool fest. lol.

Edited by hashcity

yes it is worth filling small gaps with ice. Beware though if you do use bagged ice the print on the bag can tend to stick and stain onto the inside of your box for some reason.

I agree the tap water is awful especially in your tea/coffee.

Also the Glastonbury tap water is hard to use as a frozen water bottle !

We've brought a Coleman 70 Qt too, brought a slab of 20 Strongbow for £10 from Morrissons and will be taking advantage of a couple slabs of 20 Carlsberg for £10 from Sainsbury's all of which will be in my Nan's spare fridge by tomorrow the bladders from the boxed wine will be getting frozen along with the flavoured Vodka so taking on board the advice of the thread of charging I think a refreshing Glasto is on the cards (just need last years weather)!

Roll on the 22nd!

Are you French or something? Every Englishman likes his tea. :P

I doubt the stalls are using tap water, but if they are, they must be filtering it. Last year I made myself some teas with the tap water and they were horrid. So I went and bought myself some tea from the tea tent, and it tasted perfectly normal. Wouldn't be surprised if they brought in their own water barrow.

If I'm bothering with cold beers, I think I will be bothering with drinkable water. Trying to quaff tap water last year, with a banging hangover, was a bilious experience. :huh:

You serious? So Glastonbury Festivals Ltd has a contractual arrangement with a company to supply tankered drinking water to the site and the stalls that supply drinks decide to bring their own at additional expense. Get real and stop being so naive.

Water snobs do my f**king nut. IT'S WATER.

Are you French or something? Every Englishman likes his tea. :P

I doubt the stalls are using tap water, but if they are, they must be filtering it. Last year I made myself some teas with the tap water and they were horrid. So I went and bought myself some tea from the tea tent, and it tasted perfectly normal. Wouldn't be surprised if they brought in their own water barrow.

If I'm bothering with cold beers, I think I will be bothering with drinkable water. Trying to quaff tap water last year, with a banging hangover, was a bilious experience. :huh:

From the O.S.

Glastonbury Festival requires more than 1 million gallons of water over a period of five days. There are over 700 hand basins and 100 standpipes are located around the site to provide fresh water for drinking and washing.

As the Festival has grown, so has its demands for water. During the Festival period the local population increases by around 175,000 people, and Pilton's modest mains water supply simply couldn't cope with the demand. In 1997 a water mains was laid from the main A361 down to Worthy Farm. And although this has helped to overcome the problem, it is still insufficient to deal with the peak demand times (between 10.00am and midday.)

To make up the shortfall, the Festival imports water from a Water Authority Reservoir some 7 miles away. Milk tankers carrying 2000 to 5000 gallons of water run between the reservoir and the Festival site 24 hours a day, starting a day or two before the Festival up until the Monday after closedown. There is a 25,000 gallon storage facility at Worthy Farm which is continuously replenished by tankers and there are five other Oxfam emergency reservoirs - each holding 5000 gallons of water - scattered around the site. The water is then pumped across the site through nearly ten miles of pipework that is laid down each year especially for the Festival.

All the water supplied to the site via the tankers is from a Water Board Installation and is guaranteed by the Water Board to be of high quality. In the week before the Festival, the water supply's chlorine content is rigorously checked and samples are taken for bacteriological testing at a Certificated Public Health Laboratory. The supply and quality of potable water at an event such as Glastonbury Festival is hugely important and the plumbing team have an outstanding record in providing water around the site and meeting all test requirements.

I always drink the on site water and haven't noticed any real difference to the water anywhere else, it's still a mystery to me why people spend good money buying old water in plastic bottles when they can get perfectly good fresh water free from a tap.

If you are the sort of person who can't bring themselves to drink tap water at home without filtering it -- and you're not willing to slum it for a weekend either -- then you can bring your own water.

But water is *heavy*. I certainly don't recommend it.

I tend to buy two small bottles of spring water when I arrive. Once I've drunk the first one, I use it to carry around wine from my wine box. The second one, I'll keep topped up with tap water.

Edit: in addition, bottled water is hugely wasteful in environmental terms.

The tap water at the festival is not comparable to the tap water you get at home. It tastes quite strongly of chemicals. As this thread proves, many people don't mind that - but the two are not the same.