Tips on using your coolbox.

Guest JodiB

On ice packs -- why is nobody recommending purpose-made coolbox ice packs -- the ones filled with blue gel?

Presumably these stay cold for longer than water does, since they're engineered for the purpose.

• Replies 177
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1) Most are not filled with blue gel and most do not stay frozen much longer than ice. (especially the value ones from supermarkets)

2) They take up valuable space and you cannot drink them when they defrost.

3) My recommendation is to half fill your box with frozen stuff so using purpose made cool packs is idiotic and wasteful. Instead use something just as effective as cool packs but which you can use after defrosting, i.e water bottles.

are you being a bit thick or something ?

Edited by robith

A frozen 500ml bottle of water lasts longer IMHO, and you get the beauty of drinking it. An ice pack is just extra weight on the way home. I take just 6 of these as we have a small freezer in the caravan fridge so they are a good shape and size to freeze in there. :)

Are you seriously of the opinion that nothing whatsoever is added to the standpipe water at G ?

"The supply and quality of potable water at an event such as Glastonbury Festival is hugely important and the plumbing team have an outstanding record in providing water around the site and meeting all test requirements."

How do they reach the test requirements if they do nothing to it? If it should fail what do they do? Cancel the festival? I think you will find they will treat it until it passes.

Edited by ukslim

Okay I get your point.

My point was that G water goes through more treatment than pilton tap water and it sounds like you agree.

Fact remains that I think due to this G water mostly tastes like shit and you dont. That I can accept.

Hope you have a great festival whatever water you end up drinking.

Not a cool box but a light weight, budget alternative that I used last year and it worked really well.

Line an empty beer box with an insulated carrier bag (the tye with the plastic clip together handle) half fill it with water and no shit this would cool warm cans to an enjoyable temperature within an hour or so and keep milk nice. I'll be doing this again this year.

thinking of buiying one of the weeheled varietries - possibly igloo maxcold island breeeze 62 - am slightly concerned about the durability of the wheels over the glastonbury bumps ... can anyone reassure?

thinking of buiying one of the weeheled varietries - possibly igloo maxcold island breeeze 62 - am slightly concerned about the durability of the wheels over the glastonbury bumps ... can anyone reassure?

Edited by JodiB

Does anyone own any of the following:

Coleman xtreme 70

Coleman xtreme 50 with wheels

Igloo legend 54

Igloo maxcold 60 with wheels

If you do, how many 440ml cans does your cooler hold? They all say capacity in 330ml and I'm sceptical that a simple conversion will give me a true reflection!

.thanks

Edited by 4th time lucky?

Does anyone own any of the following:

Coleman xtreme 70

Coleman xtreme 50 with wheels

Igloo legend 54

Igloo maxcold 60 with wheels

If you do, how many 440ml cans does your cooler hold? They all say capacity in 330ml and I'm sceptical that a simple conversion will give me a true reflection!

.thanks

Sorry but I just don't get your logic at all!!!

4x 2Litre coke bottles half filled with vodka and coke (tastes disgusting but you can get nice and drunk!) Plus you don't need to go the toilet every other second and when watching bands in the middle of a big crowd it sucks if you need to go the toilet!

Buy some beers from the bar, they are ice cold and cost £4 a pint... I drink about 6 beers per day from the bar, so that's about £100 over the weekend for fresh cold beers... Plus my arms/shoulders are not worn out from carrying a load of canned beer around!

Its Glastonbury FESTIVAL not a local campsite... Go and see stuff, not sit around your tent for hours on end!

The food stalls at Glasto are amazing, don't even bother wasting time or effort trying to cook at your campsite, there's just no point.

The tap water tastes perfectly fine, I've drunk litres of the stuff and still here today, big whoop, it may not be spring fresh but hey its crystal clear, its cold and its water!

Yep I see your point. But some festy goers including myself also love the actual camping part. I enjoy camping out with my mates and our camp is not just somewhere to crash, It's our comfortable home from home for 5 days. There is nothing better than being woken up with the smell of cooking bacon in the morning. Especially when it's coming from your own tent and you see your partner cooking it up for you along with a fresh cuppa. To be able to do this without getting up and walking about a mile every morning and queuing up for ages is bliss.

I also love coming back to the tent late afternoon to change into night time gear, get a quick breather, freshen up again then grab a few cold beers before heading out for the night again. On that trip back to the tent you get all the smells of BBQ's going on,you get to connect with your neighbours again, and also get a fresh buzz of excitment and anticipation for the night ahead. I would not miss that.

I also love coming back to the tent at the end of the night and sitting round a camp fire with your mates, inviting the neighbours over and cracking open a few cold tinnies and chatting shit about what you ended up seeing and doing that day.

What I take in my coolbox represents a saving of about £300+ over the 5 days which I find completely worth it. I queue up less and make fewer trips to the bars. You say it sucks having to go to the loo in the middle of a big crowd but it also sucks when you need to go get drinks for 8 people in the middle of a big crowd.

How many pints of fresh cold beer can you fit in your rucksack without spilling it?