Tips on using your coolbox.

Guest JodiB

• Replies 177
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm thinking of loading my coolbox up with refridgerated / frozen meat, pre-chilled beer, bags of ice cubes etc.

I don't reckon it'll last the full festival so I'm thinking of driving out to the Sainbury's just past Glastonbury town to get fresh supplies and new bags of ice. About an hours round trip on a normal day. I'm thinking of going friday morning. Can you see any problems with me getting off then back on site? How easy do you think it'll be to fight against, and then with the traffic arriving on site at that time. I know I'll get a more distant parking spot on my return but I'm guessing that most people will already have arrived by that time and that the traffic queuse won't be so bad. Can somebody who typically arrives around that time share their experience with me.

I'm using an Igloo this year for the first time, looks about 150litres so yes its big, about 5ftx2ftx2ft. Any advice on using this will be greatly appreciated. I want to take meat and beers for about 3 or 4 barbies for 5 adults. At the mo I'm stocking up on freezing all different sizes of plastic water bottles. It has a water outlet but should I not use this once things begin to melt?

I'm using an Igloo this year for the first time, looks about 150litres so yes its big, about 5ftx2ftx2ft. Any advice on using this will be greatly appreciated. I want to take meat and beers for about 3 or 4 barbies for 5 adults. At the mo I'm stocking up on freezing all different sizes of plastic water bottles. It has a water outlet but should I not use this once things begin to melt?

Ok thanks, but whats the point of the drain plug then? Just ease of use when cleaning/emptying?

And most of the meat will be fresh prepacked and then frozen (from sainsburys) anyway, pretty sure that'll be waterproof enough? How much in litres of frozen water bottles do you recommend putting in this box, maybe a third? I've got about 25 litres in my freezer so far of many various sizes and am going to buy some of the big 5 litre bottles as well, probably 3 or 4.

Yeah the plug is really just for cleaning, I also leave it open when I'm storing mine when not in use, to allow any residual moisture to escape,

Most meat from supermarkets will be packeged in waterertight containers (they're air tight and filled with gasses that inhibit bacteria growth).

Last year I froze about 1/3 of the the toolbox capacity (I didn't freeze water I froze cider & beer and fruit juice cartons, this means your not carting excess weight in ice that won't get used)

Buying the 5l bottles is deff a good idea as the bigger the chunk of ice the longer it will take to thaw.

Also put everything else your goining to put in the box that won't be frozen into the fridge(set the fridge temp to the lowest possible)

Nice one thanks. Yea I've also got mine slightly ajar at the mo to keep fresh smelling. Good thread this. One other thing, re the 5 litre bottles...do you think I'm good with those or just bear slabs of ice the same size? Basically what would stay colder the longest, ice in the bottle or ice out of the bottle? Is bottle plastic a good conductor of cool temperature?

Ok thanks, but whats the point of the drain plug then? Just ease of use when cleaning/emptying?

And most of the meat will be fresh prepacked and then frozen (from sainsburys) anyway, pretty sure that'll be waterproof enough? How much in litres of frozen water bottles do you recommend putting in this box, maybe a third? I've got about 25 litres in my freezer so far of many various sizes and am going to buy some of the big 5 litre bottles as well, probably 3 or 4.

Edited by StoneCircle

Nice one thanks. Yea I've also got mine slightly ajar at the mo to keep fresh smelling. Good thread this. One other thing, re the 5 litre bottles...do you think I'm good with those or just bear slabs of ice the same size? Basically what would stay colder the longest, ice in the bottle or ice out of the bottle? Is bottle plastic a good conductor of cool temperature?

Edited by StoneCircle

I really want to get one of the ones recommended here but finding it hard to justify the £55.

My mate who had massive coolbox last year (and can't make it this year for wedding commitments) has looked and the one he had is around that mark, but says he no way paid that much for it.

Last year it kept everything cool and they brought it in by wheel barrow.

This year we won't have wheel barrow so it needs transporting.

Plus the other fear is that they f*cking block off the roads again this year. We camp in Park Home. They blocked us and stopped us from going near the West Car Parks at 9ish Weds morning so shunted us to the absolute furthest parking in East that they could find.

Took an hour each way to the car. Which was a killer in the heat trying to carry everything.

Are there any smaller options close to the £30-40 mark?

Just got one from Costco for £42. A few quid cheaper than has already been mentioned. It's the Igloo Maxcold "Premium" and says on the label it has a 6 day rating. It is around the 60 litre mark I think and comes with wheels and a telescopic handle. Looks like the island breeze

Could anyone advise me on freezing wine? Am planning to freeze 500ml plastic water bottles with say 450ml wine in each and take out of coolbox as required. Does that sound like it should work?

Just did a test pack of my new igloo and managed to cram in:

2x two litre bottles of water

9x 500ml bottles of water

10x cans of guinness

12x cans of strongbow

6x cans of carlsberg

12 x cans of brothers

5x cans of rum and coke

5x cans of gin and tonic

12x 330ml cans of kopperberg

8x capri suns

Will freeze everything that is not in a can and try and fill some little holes with ice cubes or something.

Will there be enough ice there to keep everything cold for the whole festival? I'm not too sure.

My 500ml bottles are in the middle and my 2litre bottles are lying on the top. Is this the best way to pack it to ensure maximum coldness?

Edited by alan_clarke1

Ive done it and it's fine tbh may alter the tase a little but I can't say I've ever noticed. Your right to not full the bottle, to allow for expation, but before you put screw the lid on squish the bottle so that the liquid comes up to the top, so that there isn't a air gap but the bottle isn't full to capacity. This will minimise oxidisation.

Just a thought, but if you plan on making ice that is not going to be used to drink etc. Then why not add salt as this will mean the ice will be cooler than 0C?