Jim King chat 20/06/11

Guest rory_oh

Please direct your questions to Jim here for his live chat on Monday.

Please try and keep disscussions and repeat questions out of it (take a couple of seconds to see if yours has already been posted), this will allow him to get through as many as he can.

thanks.

my question is.

How do you feel the festival went this year compared to others? (please answer as honestly as you can)

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Are yo happy you may lose alot of the original Rockness crowd who saw Rockness as an alternative to TITP? IMO 2009 was the model the festival should've been based on but obviously commerciality is more important which is fine, it is a business you'r running of course.

hi Jim,

I apologise in advance for the long winded question!

Despite what some people people are saying I really enjoyed RockNess this year. Generally, I think the festival had great vibes and it was a lot more smoothly organised and compact this year which made the site a joy to walk around. It clear to see that RockNess HQ really do read the forums etc.

I think the crowd was a little more TITPish but that is to be expected with big headliners and Glasvegas.

My question is: A few of the stages this year were a huge success. Arcadia and Sub Club soundsystem spring to mind. With one less "large" tent now. Is more money pumped else where in the festival? Or is the money going into bulking up the main stage and Goldenvoice line ups?

Personally, I'd like to see a bit more decoration in the tents and impressive lighting rigs. If this means some money has to be sacrificed on the line up front I'd be fine with that, but I realise the line up is usually what sells tickets.

Echoing what Poleski has just said - I had an awesome RN11.

My question is:

I was very disappointed in the lack of advertisement for the 'Sound City' stage: why weren't these bands publicised better.

(With this in mind, I was reminded of a E-mail from 'Letters' to AEG re: this very subject found here)

Edited by themangus

i had a great time at my first Rockness. My only gripes were...

1/ Trapped on site for final 40 hours of Festival with no pass outs after mid-day saturday

2/ Day tickets on the door for £75 even though the face value was £65

Can the first point be adjusted? even if it is only upped to a 6pm pass out deadline on saturday, that would give everyone time to go into town and get essentials that they may have forgotten to bring on the friday.

Can the 2nd point be justified?

cheers for reading.

Edited by wayupnorth

I had a great time at Rockness again this year :)

I usually camp in the general campsite but this year me and my group of mates decided to go VIP and have to say we were left feeling pretty disappointed.

We arrived on Friday afternoon and were told the VIP carpark was full so ended up parking in the general carpark which we had to pay for. There was a lack of showers and toilet facilities for the amount of people in the campsite which resulted in spending a lot of time in queues. Security didnt bother checking wristbands so day and general tickets holders were able to come and go from the vip areas as they pleased.

Overall VIP didnt really live up to expectations and going by posts on the Rockness facebook page we arent the only ones!

Will this be improved upon next year?

Edited by lyndie__loo

Please direct your questions to Jim here for his live chat on Monday.

Please try and keep disscussions and repeat questions out of it (take a couple of seconds to see if yours has already been posted), this will allow him to get through as many as he can.

thanks.

my question is.

How do you feel the festival went this year compared to others? (please answer as honestly as you can)

Thanks for being frank here. This was our 1st Rockness and in my view it was simply superb. A great vibe and very well organised. Security were great, the police low key. The line up was great, and introduced an old 53 year old festy lover to some new bands and sounds.

The crack was great, and we will be back for sure next year. TA!

Pete McDougall

Leith

layout wise, not sure which bits you think are best from 2010 and/or 2011 but very happy to hear your views on the good and bad. overall i thought it worked better only having the main stage in the lower field but we're not set on the layout.

thanks

j

hi Jim,

I apologise in advance for the long winded question!

Despite what some people people are saying I really enjoyed RockNess this year. Generally, I think the festival had great vibes and it was a lot more smoothly organised and compact this year which made the site a joy to walk around. It clear to see that RockNess HQ really do read the forums etc.

I think the crowd was a little more TITPish but that is to be expected with big headliners and Glasvegas.

My question is: A few of the stages this year were a huge success. Arcadia and Sub Club soundsystem spring to mind. With one less "large" tent now. Is more money pumped else where in the festival? Or is the money going into bulking up the main stage and Goldenvoice line ups?

Personally, I'd like to see a bit more decoration in the tents and impressive lighting rigs. If this means some money has to be sacrificed on the line up front I'd be fine with that, but I realise the line up is usually what sells tickets.

Echoing what Poleski has just said - I had an awesome RN11.

My question is:

I was very disappointed in the lack of advertisement for the 'Sound City' stage: why weren't these bands publicised better.

(With this in mind, I was reminded of a E-mail from 'Letters' to AEG re: this very subject found here)

i had a great time at my first Rockness. My only gripes were...

1/ Trapped on site for final 40 hours of Festival with no pass outs after mid-day saturday

2/ Day tickets on the door for £75 even though the face value was £65

Can the first point be adjusted? even if it is only upped to a 6pm pass out deadline on saturday, that would give everyone time to go into town and get essentials that they may have forgotten to bring on the friday.

Can the 2nd point be justified?

cheers for reading.

I had a great time at Rockness again this year :)

I usually camp in the general campsite but this year me and my group of mates decided to go VIP and have to say we were left feeling pretty disappointed.

We arrived on Friday afternoon and were told the VIP carpark was full so ended up parking in the general carpark which we had to pay for. There was a lack of showers and toilet facilities for the amount of people in the campsite which resulted in spending a lot of time in queues. Security didnt bother checking wristbands so day and general tickets holders were able to come and go from the vip areas as they pleased.

Overall VIP didnt really live up to expectations and going by posts on the Rockness facebook page we arent the only ones!

Will this be improved upon next year?