2013 Headliners

Guest shangri-la_steward

Just fantastic. Mason. The most underrated drummer in rock? Considering the massive scope of the Floyds music.

I'd have Chris Frantz in there too. Been listening to a bit of the Talking Heads recently. Lovely "beatsman". Throw in Brian Downey from Thin Lizzy and John Densmore of the Doors into the underrated column while we're at it.

A lot of Radiohead fans would say similar. Same for Oasis. I've a mate who still says Oasis are the best band ever. Hes 32.

• Replies 11.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I love those pompeii clips. Russy, the DVD of that gig is available so I recommend.

I've thought Mason to be a nice bloke who always tried to keep his head down stay and out of the problems in the band. For him, more than anybody else, it was always just about the music. As long as he was behind a drum kit doing what he loved best then he was happy with that, hence why he is most keen for the reunion. He just wants to leave the past behind and play the music he so obviously loves.

His book "inside out" is also a really interesting read, and while he skips over the bad times in the band and doesn't really lay into Waters as much as he could/should, i think this avoidance of controversy just reflects his character. Its all about the music man. I respect that.

Edited by Ed209

I reckon much of Waters angst is due to him being by far the most ugly of the bunch. How cool and 60s/70s rockstar-y do they all look (Mason particularly, wonderful facial hair) and then there is Roger, all lanky, hook nosed and awkward looking.

In fact, if he does play glasto, I might put that on a flag.

"ROGER, YER HOOK NOSED LANKY TIT"

Edited by russycarps

haha

they really do think they have the tunes

as I said in a review after seeing Kasabian when they were still barely known, talking themselves up worked for Oasis and it'll probably work for these guys too.

What gets me is why people fall for it. You're meant to use your ears to listen to music, not for buying into worthless spoken twaddle.

Edited by eFestivals

Kasabian's other stage set on the 2005 was fantastic. They were confident not arragant, had great stage presence and a lot of energy. One of the highlights of the weekend. Oh, and they only had one album then, so they only played songs from their first and best album, which in my opinion was a great album

Music thrives on passion. Which is just as well cos I fucking detest Kasabian.

Did you see that cover of Q the other month, with some leggy models wrapped round them? Fucking hell. 1972 called, it wants its image back. That's the biggest fucking problem, they see themselves as the latest in this line of rock gods, alpha male types with big hair and tracky tops. I'll tell you what, Jagger you ain't, c**to. Fucking tools. Unfortunately they'll always be some twats who fall for it.

I'm basing all of this on never knowingly heard a kasabian song. The image, the interviews and fuck me, that cover, is enough to make me detest them.

Yeah, maybe I'm shallow, but the way i see it, why take the fucking risk. I'm willing to bet they don't deal in Mark Eitzel-esque confessionals or Talk Talk style mood shifts and tonal ranges.

I've been pondering this during my lesson tonight. I reckon there's been enough 2 bit chancer alpha males with that 'simian strut' a gobful of attitude and quotes for the music press. That lineage has petered out.

Anyway, Me, I'm always going to prefer a fey acoustic loser strumming about how he's never going to get laid.