2013 Headliners

Guest shangri-la_steward

• Replies 11.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Do you really think the majority of what mainstream musicians put out, is showcasing their actual musical talent?

For many, yes I do - cos their talent is that low.

Whether that applies to Jessie J I don't know, and neither do I care. What I care about is my ears being assaulted by what she does, and not what she doesn't do.

It's throwaway pop dross. I hope you eventually realise that, if you can't see it now - otherwise you'll be moving on to the deep and meaningful stuff like Westlife. ;)

To be honest, stuff like Jessie J and alike is catchy, that's a big reason I like it. But i like how she has an egde to her voice too.

LaGa I think is great. She's still very huge, her shows will sell out easily quick next year and you get a huge performance from her. Her latest album has tracks that have won awards on it so defo not a no hoper and matching The Fame would've been a task.

For many, yes I do - cos their talent is that low.

Whether that applies to Jessie J I don't know, and neither do I care. What I care about is my ears being assaulted by what she does, and not what she doesn't do.

It's throwaway pop dross. I hope you eventually realise that, if you can't see it now - otherwise you'll be moving on to the deep and meaningful stuff like Westlife. ;)

Edited by thesecretingredientiscrime

Lady Ga Ga will still be huge in 2013. She's hugely popular and won't be going anywhere for a long time. I'd actually quite like to watch her headline.

As for the Daft Punk predictions. I would never predict them to play as they're just too secretive and inconsistant. One week there's rumours they'll never tour again the next they're going to do a 3D tour. If they're gonna play it'll come out the blue I'd imagine. A headline set on The Other Stage would be fantastic though.

If you could be an incredible musician, but struggle to get signed/sell records/make money, or throw it away, make throwaway pop music, and sell hundreds of thousands of records, which do you think most people would do? We all know the best stuff never gets signed etc. etc., where as the majority of the time, it's the awful stuff which is made famous, not their actual talent, just what they know will sell records.

what you've laid out there is the difference between an artist and a salesman.

Again, the original conversation was about what's behind the music, not what they actually put out, which you may well see, and would be right to, Jessie J and Westlife etc. etc. as meaningless dross etc.

From you saying that, I'd clearly mistaken what was meant by "what's behind the music", and gave a reply to what I took it to mean.

But from the meaning you're using, why do you much care? Are you interested in her music, or are you interested in her?

If the later, why? What makes her of more interest that (say) the man who sells you beer at your local corner shop, aside from her being famous?

Edited by eFestivals

Catchy stuff has its place, in a teenage girls bedroom and something easy to dance along while getting drunk and trying get in the next birds panties. Apart from that it has no place and should stay well away from the live arena as if that gives some sort of credit.

When you see proper acts play live, they are often infinity better live than on record when you see pop acts live, they are infinity worse.

I do understand most of what your saying, but festivals are no longer all about us who like the instruments! It's a lot wider audience so of course the Eavis and co have to appeal to the wider masses.

Yes we are going to have to put up with some people being on the lineup that we don't like but lets be fair there is enough going on to not have to go see them!

http://www.nme.com/news/arctic-monkeys/60523

When asked what he'd like to do in his career that he hadn't yet achieved, he replied:

I mean, there's many things. There's a lot left, yeah. I'd really like another shot at headling
http://www.nme.com/artists/glastonbury' rel="external nofollow">
. I don't think we got that quite right when we did it.

The amount of cash that the Stones would directly get from playing the festival is a fraction of what they'd take at their own show (or at HRC, IOW, etc). If the Stones ever do play, it'll be because they've realised that the TV coverage drives sales. Glastonbury will be publicity for whatever they're trying to sell. Not the other way round.