2013 Headliners

Guest shangri-la_steward

Fans of the Rolling Stones hoping the band will one day headline at Glastonbury Festival, pricked up their ears when they heard festival founder Michael Eavis refer to the band in a Dutch interview carried on Youtube.

When the interviewer asked how booking headline acts is done, Mr Eavis replied: "Well I phone up Chris Martin, or do the Stones, or phone up Paul McCartney, so I do that myself."

The impromptu interview happened while Mr Eavis was in Holland to receive a Lifetime Achievement Award at this year's European Festival Awards. Back at his dairy farm at Pilton, near Glastonbury, yesterday Mr Eavis admitted the Stones: "are on a wish list".

"It would be brilliant if they came, and brilliant for them too. They are the only band in the world that we haven't had play the festival. Everyone else wants to play." But he added: "I would not ring the band myself – I have known the agent all my life." Mr Eavis is giving the Glastonbury Festival a year off this year.

Seems a good interview.

• Replies 11.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm far from sure about that. The Stones essentially auction their tour dates to the highest bidder, and I can't see them changing that for what will be their last tour and so their last chance of earning. They love their money too much.

Having said that, I don't see it as impossible - but I'm a very long way from having the same certainty as you about it.

Pretty sure (could be wrong, maybe someone can confirm) but they were using solo for the Bigger bang tour, hence the reason they played IOW,

yep, they were, and they've had a very long association with Giddins so felt they could trust him to fulfil all their wants - which included their own special stage structure, which Glasto would be very unlikely to do I'd have thought.

Cos they haven't ever booked "money grabbing twats" before? Last year we had U2 and Beyonce headline well known before Glasto for doing low paid things... (and i have to say I think the stones for me will be much like that.

We know the stones are slightly more twatish when it comes to money, but if they was attaching it to a tour and it wouldn't cost them anything to get a full set broadcast across the nation then why not?

A lot more twattish. U2 can charge what they want and will sell out wherever as it's been show. The different is they wanted to play Glasto and paid as I remember though might be wrong for a fair bit of their show themselves. Jagger I doubt cares wether he plays or not, he's not bothered in 50 years, it doesn't give him his money. I'd be sceptacle about Glasto wanting to reach their demands rather than get a more accepting better lie act.

Yeah John Giddings who runs IOW is also the head? (may be wrong) of Solo who are a music agent and promoter who happpened to be working on the stones last tour, which helps explain why they've only ever played the IOW so far,

I still reckon given the status of Glasto, and the fact a 50th tour will ensure they break all previous records for highest grossing tour, a stop at worthy farm will happen as money won't be an issue, and it's the last big musical event they've not yet achieved!

Keep the faith!

Yeah John Giddings who runs IOW is also the head? (may be wrong) of Solo who are a music agent and promoter who happpened to be working on the stones last tour, which helps explain why they've only ever played the IOW so far,

I still reckon given the status of Glasto, and the fact a 50th tour will ensure they break all previous records for highest grossing tour, a stop at worthy farm will happen as money won't be an issue, and it's the last big musical event they've not yet achieved!

Keep the faith!

But how long was Eavis trying get U2 for? :P Anyway, I am not really arguing for them just saying some of your reasoning for it isn't quite as it seems.

I think its 55,000 and she had two presales this week, but impressive enough. Not seen an extra date added yet which seems odd!

Lady GaGa doesn't really have any other space near her 2 UK dates before going into the rest of europe and southern europe. Maybe 1, 2 at a push after MEN date and same before, but I can't see why they wouldn't have been announced. It will shock me very much if she doesn't have a deal to play T/Oxygen and Glasto next year, as well as Wireless or V.

Hm, think I would be gutted if the Stone Roses headline Glastonbury next year after how much they have whored themselves out this year. They're everywhere. Although sadly I can see it happened for reasons already discussed in this thread. What about Arctic Monkeys, new album out in 2013 and they haven't done Glastonbury since 07 (I think?), or are they past their stock now? I think they would a pretty good booking myself, much more mature and better musicians since their 07 set which seemed to go down well, judging only from what I saw when I was younger on TV and youtube videos. Couldn't really say on the 3rd headliner, which I guess is more variety.

Would love Radiohead to be there though, wouldn't matter who else headlined.

Edit; on an unrelated note, as I didn't think it was worth creating a new thread so early. Can somebody clarify the ticket process for me, I have already registered for 2013, when the deposit scheme opens in October and you pay the £50, is that you safe until April as long as you pay the remaining £150, or is it another mad dash for tickets with no guarantee you'll get a ticket with your £50 deposit?

Hm, think I would be gutted if the Stone Roses headline Glastonbury next year after how much they have whored themselves out this year. They're everywhere. Although sadly I can see it happened for reasons already discussed in this thread. What about Arctic Monkeys, new album out in 2013 and they haven't done Glastonbury since 07 (I think?), or are they past their stock now? I think they would a pretty good booking myself, much more mature and better musicians since their 07 set which seemed to go down well, judging only from what I saw when I was younger on TV and youtube videos. Couldn't really say on the 3rd headliner, which I guess is more variety.

Would love Radiohead to be there though, wouldn't matter who else headlined.

Edit; on an unrelated note, as I didn't think it was worth creating a new thread so early. Can somebody clarify the ticket process for me, I have already registered for 2013, when the deposit scheme opens in October and you pay the £50, is that you safe until April as long as you pay the remaining £150, or is it another mad dash for tickets with no guarantee you'll get a ticket with your £50 deposit?

If they turn up and played the 1st two albums yes with Cornerstone included lol. If not, no, If Radiohead are there, we'll already have one band seen as depressive, we don't want two.

IMO, Arctics thought of to be matured now or not, their new stuff is too slow and boring, defo an aquired taste.

Edited by thesecretingredientiscrime

Their last three released tracks:

R U Mine?

You And I

Evil Twin

Three of their heaviest tracks released and probably their three greatest, and musically advanced tracks released. Also the fact you called Radiohead "depressive" says a lot. Lets have straight guitar bands, lad rock! Lets get Razorlight to headline! A Viva Brother reunion?!

I would like Arctics to do it, don't think they will though.

With regards to other people/other positions, chances of Santana? Has he played before? I know he's just started a residency in Vegas, but there's always gaps. Under Fleetwood Mac/Prince would be perfect.

On the Prince subject, would his headline slot last year have any impact on him playing?

Edited by gazza_20

I'm referring moreso to their last two albums.

Also, I hate Viva Brother lol. I did used to like Razorlight until their last album was out.

Doesn't have to always be straight guitar bands, but you like what you do. Personally caught James at Coachella and Grouplove and really enjoyed.

Actually listened to those just now and found Evil Twin only one I'd both again with I reckon.

You talk so much fucking shit on bands its unreal.

Anyway its not they have some slow songs, Suck it and see is a top album and not that slow... Its they don't really know how to perform live and I blame that on the enormous hype they had. They haven't learnt the craft of stagemanship to much yet.

any if they keep up with stuff like R U mine , and they imrpove on coachella performence we're looking at a decent headline act in about the time I'd expect an act to properly develop in.