2013 Headliners

Guest shangri-la_steward

• Replies 11.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

They were paid a headliners fee because that's what it took to get them back together, but they didn't headline because of the unreliability factor. There's no way they could have headlined, they couldn't headline without a new record, and as I said, there's very little chance of them reforming anyway. I think they'd struggle to headline with a new record, unless it was massive.

I speak as someone that saw them at three out of the four reformation shows. I think the majority of Libertines fans you speak to would tell you they're nowhere near big enough to headline, Glasto especially.

They were paid a headliners fee because that's what it took to get them back together, but they didn't headline because of the unreliability factor. There's no way they could have headlined, they couldn't headline without a new record, and as I said, there's very little chance of them reforming anyway. I think they'd struggle to headline with a new record, unless it was massive.

I speak as someone that saw them at three out of the four reformation shows. I think the majority of Libertines fans you speak to would tell you they're nowhere near big enough to headline, Glasto especially.

Did Kanye not headline Coachella?

Also a few European festivals last year.

so he's not sold out any UK festivals, which is what is relevant for the UK. Glad we've cleared that up.

Eavis was quoted as saying that two of the headliners for 2013 were already being lined up. Can't remember where I read it as it was last year, but it was in black and white and apart from walking down to Worthy Farm and asking Eavis directly that's about as good as it gets.

"lined up" is something very different to the "booked" you initially said. And anyway, history gets to prove that when Eavis says these sorts of things they don't actually have any real substance, because what he's saying he has lined up doesn't come to fruition (as other facts get to prove later).

And it wasn't last year, it was this year. But even if it had been last year, that would have been more than a year later than "about the time when Libertines were doing their thing at Reading". ;)

Edited by eFestivals

The Libertines were a thrilling, exciting visceral band, the beauty of them was their commitment, the drama the fact they were struggling to hold it together and joyously in love with the potential of what they were doing.

A reformed band has none of that. Context is all. The Libertines these days is a nostalgia act for people who should be too young to even be thinking about nostalgia. Live a bit before you start looking back, for fucks sake.

The Libertines were a thrilling, exciting visceral band, the beauty of them was their commitment, the drama the fact they were struggling to hold it together and joyously in love with the potential of what they were doing.

A reformed band has none of that. Context is all. The Libertines these days is a nostalgia act for people who should be too young to even be thinking about nostalgia. Live a bit before you start looking back, for fucks sake.

so he's not sold out any UK festivals, which is what is relevant for the UK. Glad we've cleared that up.

"lined up" is something very different to the "booked" you initially said. And anyway, history gets to prove that when Eavis says these sorts of things they don't actually have any real substance, because what he's saying he has lined up doesn't come to fruition (as other facts get to prove later).

And it wasn't last year, it was this year. But even if it had been last year, that would have been more than a year later than "about the time when Libertines were doing their thing at Reading". ;)

Edited by hawkzred

Glastonbury book acts on perceived talent and global appeal. What is relevant for Reading, T and V, does not necessarily make relevant for Glastonbury, glad we have cleared that up!

Nope. Just like Reading T & V it books headliners who it thinks will sell the tickets.

I've little doubt that Glasto would have been willing to book Kanye as a headliner in years gone by, but I'm far from sure that they'd take a risk with him now, as he's been shown to not be a particularly huge draw for festival crowds.

Either way he sounds like he has got a fairly good idea who will be playing at this stage.

what he thinks a long time before the event rarely turns out to be what happens - his various public statements over the years (plus a few titbits I get to hear) make that very clear.

Nope. Just like Reading T & V it books headliners who it thinks will sell the tickets.

I've little doubt that Glasto would have been willing to book Kanye as a headliner in years gone by, but I'm far from sure that they'd take a risk with him now, as he's been shown to not be a particularly huge draw for festival crowds.

what he thinks a long time before the event rarely turns out to be what happens - his various public statements over the years (plus a few titbits I get to hear) make that very clear.

Edited by hawkzred

Good question, Nal, hard to explain, and like any music it's an instinctive, visceral response, if you don't feel it, you don't feel it, and no amount of explanation will give you that 'picked up by the bollocks and swung around the room' feeling.

I like the lyrics, I'm a sucker for the Blakean excess stuff, from MacGowan to Doherty. Cliched, i know, but I always, against my better intentions, love it. Think they had some decent tunes, sort of sound I like. We differ you and I in what we look for, I'd say you like a more blues based, purer sound than me, I'm a bit of a fop, a fey indie kid I suppose, so the libs are the closest I get to 'rock' for want of a better word.

I can absolutely understand why some people dislike them, I'm not going to say that they're ojectively great or anything, but they mean a lot to me, on a personal basis, came along at the right time, give me a slap round the chops, made me sit up and listen when I was pretty bored with most contemporary music. can absolutely see that if I'd have been 10 years younger they're the sort of band I'd have jacked my job in to follow them round on tour etc.

Clearly, this won't change anyone's mind, and you know what, I'd not go and see them now, even if they were performing at the end of my street, but for a year or two, they really fucking shone.

Edited by The Nal

Libertines is not going to happen who read Pete's interview in NME the last couple of issues he is going back to rehab end of this month. Said about him and carl sending songs to eachother but did not sound very official too and by the sounds of it his solo album is hard enough for him to do at the moment.

Libertines is not going to happen who read Pete's interview in NME the last couple of issues he is going back to rehab end of this month. Said about him and carl sending songs to eachother but did not sound very official too and by the sounds of it his solo album is hard enough for him to do at the moment.

With kanye not being able to shift tickets, do you not think that's not down to big chill being a bit of sham & the rest of the festival not appealing to people who like kanye? I think i'd be inclined to buy a ticket at say, reading if he was there as I know theres also a lot more there that'd interest me and its an easy festival to get to (location and date wise) - but when he was at the big chill I just couldn't be bothered with it all. Maybe its just me, but im pretty sure a lot of people didn't have a clue he even played big chill last year.

With kanye not being able to shift tickets, do you not think that's not down to big chill being a bit of sham & the rest of the festival not appealing to people who like kanye? I think i'd be inclined to buy a ticket at say, reading if he was there as I know theres also a lot more there that'd interest me and its an easy festival to get to (location and date wise) - but when he was at the big chill I just couldn't be bothered with it all. Maybe its just me, but im pretty sure a lot of people didn't have a clue he even played big chill last year.

Edited by hawkzred