2013 Headliners

Guest shangri-la_steward

I believe that was when they weren't touring though. DP being the perfectionists they are, I can see why they wouldn't want to tour when they didn't have anything ready. Me putting them down was assuming they were touring next year, hence the "if they're touring next year" bit. Again, if they did a Hyde Park show, and one up north or in Ireland too, I'm sure they'd be more than happy with the Glasto money.

• Replies 11.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My Predictions:-

IOW- Arcade Fire, Green Day, Radiohead

R/L- Biffy, Pearl Jam, Stone Roses

Glasto- Stone Roses, Fleetwood Mac, Kasabian

Download- Maiden, Bon Jovi, Rammstein

V- Kasabian, Lady Gaga

T in the Park- Arcade Fire, Lady Gaga, Suede

Hop Farm- Peter Frampton, Verve, Billy Joel

Edited by Whittick

IOW- Arcade Fire, Arctic Monkeys, Muse.

R/L- Biffy Clyro, Bloc Party, The Stone Roses.

Glasto- Lady GaGa, Kasabian, The Rolling Stones.

Download- Avenged Sevenfold, Rammstein, Iron Maiden.

V- Lady GaGa, Foo Fighters. .

TITP- Biffy Clyro, Lady GaGa, Radiohead.

IOW- The Killers, Arcade Fire, Muse

R/L- Metallica, Blur, Biffy Clyro

Glasto- Arcade Fire, The Stone Roses, The Rolling Stones

Download- Iron Maiden, Pearl Jam, Muse

V- Coldplay, Lady Gaga

T in the Park- Lady Gaga, Blur, Arcade Fire

Hop Farm- Neil Young, The Who, Nick Cave & The Bad Seeds

Download-Rammstein ¬ Foo Fighters ¬ Slipknot (if Sonisphere doesn't run Iron Maiden to replace Foo Fighters or Slipknot)

R&L -The Prodigy ¬ Bloc Party ¬ Green Day

Glasto - Radiohead ¬ Rolling Stones ¬ Lady Gaga

Sonis - Iron Maiden ¬ Linkin Park (if it runs or not (one or two or three day event))

I don't know enough about the other festivals to predict headliners!!! I need to get a better knowledge in others! More or less some mainstream bands though!

I like doing these

IOW- Chemical Brothers, Green Day, Coldplay

R/L- Biffy Clyro, Stone Roses, No Doubt

Glasto- Arcade Fire, Daft Punk ;), The Rolling Stones

Bestival - deadmau5, Depeche Mode, Arcade Fire

V- Coldplay, Lady Gaga

Hop Farm - Neil Young, Beck, The Cure

T In The Park - Kings of Leon, Rolling Stones, Lady Gaga

IOW - Arcade Fire, Muse, The Prodigy

R/L - Biffy Clyro, The Killers, Blur

Glasto - Radiohead, The Stone Roses, The Rolling Stones

Download - Avenged Sevenfold, Iron Maiden, Van Halen

V - Muse, Lady Gaga

TITP - Biffy Clyro, The Killers, Arcade Fire

If KOL are back on the scene I could see them taking the place of Gaga at V, and her playing somewhere else. Or have KOL replacing either of The Killers or Arcade Fire (probably Arcade Fire) at T.

I like doing these

IOW- Chemical Brothers, Green Day, Coldplay

R/L- Biffy Clyro, Stone Roses, No Doubt

Glasto- Arcade Fire, Daft Punk ;), The Rolling Stones

Bestival - deadmau5, Depeche Mode, Arcade Fire

V- Coldplay, Lady Gaga

Hop Farm - Neil Young, Beck, The Cure

T In The Park - Kings of Leon, Rolling Stones, Lady Gaga

In the real world is there any artist/ band that Glastonbury cant afford?

I read plenty about such and such an artist would'nt play Glastonbury because they dont pay enough but surely, as a british artist at least; Headlining Glastonbury is the pinnacle of their career regardless of the money?

Not that Daft Punk would be in with a shot of headlining but I'm sure with the exposure that it would bring (probably even on the other Stage) that they would jump at it. I think people get a bit carried away with Daft Punk as they are not any bigger than the Chems for instance and probably not as good either.

The only person who I imagine could turn the opportunity down is Madonna, which is probably just as well.

Edited by hawkzred

I read plenty about such and such an artist would'nt play Glastonbury because they dont pay enough but surely, as a british artist at least; Headlining Glastonbury is the pinnacle of their career regardless of the money?

The only person who I imagine could turn the opportunity down is Madonna, which is probably just as well.

I think the problem mainly comes from a band's tour agent, who is on a cut of their tour fees but not a cut from their records.

Playing Glasto as headliner is likely to give a good boost to a bands records, but it's a low-payer for the gig itself - so if there's a better offer on the table it's a bit of a no-brainer to not play Glastonbury for that tour agent.

Not that Daft Punk would be in with a shot of headlining but I'm sure with the exposure that it would bring (probably even on the other Stage) that they would jump at it. I think people get a bit carried away with Daft Punk as they are not any bigger than the Chems for instance and probably not as good either.

Edited by thesecretingredientiscrime

I was thinking of British acts like Clapton, Elton John, Kate Bush and the Rolling Stones. Not necessarily touring but some of the biggest names in the industry.

Would these type of artists although being able to earn more elsewhere turn down the headline slot?

Edited by hawkzred

I can see Elton and David seeing it through and pretty sure he doesn't need a final pay day so maybe after the Vegas gigs....

Seriously though what is wrong when you have to convince bands on taking on the highest profile festival slot in probably the world!?

Of course there is.

You're relying on the words "British artist" there, and you're relying on a certain type of British artist (your Coldplay's and Radiohead's). I'm sure you're aware they've had to educate people like Stevie Wonder/Springstein etc. as to what Glastonbury is, and that's the way they've persuaded them to play. I don't think it's a coincidence either that both of those acts played massive UK gigs at the same time. IIRC, Jay-Z also had to be taught about the history of Glasto to convince him, and although I know Coldplay played a role in Beyonce playing, I don't think she'd have played had Jay not played before.

Glastonbury can't only book UK acts who know the festival, because think how many of them there is? Maybe a handful? I despise Coldplay's music, and their hypocrisy on certain issues, but i've the utmost respect for the way Martin has treated Glasto over the years, and helped it, in some aspects kept it alive IIRC.

As I said, you can turn to British acts all you want, but there's very few coming through that have a connection similar to what Radiohead/Coldplay have had over the years and it will cause problems.

The fees Glasto pays have been consistently stated to be considerably less than many other major fests.

As Efests said, if you're an act with very little connection to the fest, why would you pick a low paying gig with the hope of an increase in record sales, when you can pay four or five massive gigs and get paid more?

I do fear for the future of Glastonbury booking, as I think the type of acts that are booked to headline is going to have to change. I think 2008 will signal the way forward for types of headlining acts booked. All three were risks, who would have arguably accepted a reduced fee to prove something, and Glasto judged it well, and it paid off.