2013 Headliners

Guest shangri-la_steward

I am really suprised to hear that anyone in the music business has to be educated about Glastonbury even if they are the most ignorant of Americans. I imagine that all Chris Martin has actually done is put in a recommendation after Michael has made an approach.

Thom Yorke and Chris Martin twisting arms and brokering deals doesn't quite ring true to me. I am sure that they helped in the decision making process but probably not what clinched it.

Edited by hawkzred

• Replies 11.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

How do you mean the type of act booked to headline is going to change? I'd be quite happy for Glastonbury to go back to booking acts on the way up/with something to prove, the last 3 years have been an unusual exception in getting some of the biggest acts of the last 40 years to headline and I think that's unsustainable. That could be what you mean of course, I'm just asking :bye:

Edited by thesecretingredientiscrime

If that is the case then they have definitely earned their place.

They are obviously very well connected and seemingly the nice guys in music so I am sure they have helped out if needed.

Just don't see Stevie Wonder, U2 or Springsteen having no knowledge of the festival, unless it had to be explained how it could be beneficial to play.

I have heard that almost 2 million has gone to charity after the festival in the past and that Michael Eavis takes no more than 60k, local talk so can't be 100%.

Edited by hawkzred

Jesus, maybe I am completely naive but I really do find that suprising. I know a lot of Americans don't know that there is life the other side of the oceans, but a well travelled musician to have never heard of one of the world's biggest music festivals. Thanks for the info.

Elton's slightly different ....

I read something recently which said that over half the shows that Elton John has done in recent years have been charity benefits of some kind ... so it might be the case that he'd rather do those and give support directly to causes he wants to support than be slightly removed from that process by playing Glasto and indirectly supporting stuff.

If the festival can only attract 'Glastonbury connected acts' then the possibilities are Kanye, Mumford, Florence, Kasabian, Radiohead and Kylie for next year!

I still believe its a massive pull for any artist and a priviledge. Especially in light of the names that have headlined in recent years; which increases the profile and paves the way for others.

There is as much pressure on artists from their record companies to sell records as there is for tour agents to get lucarative gigs, so this counterbalances when signing up for Glastonbury.

There are bands/ artists that have reached a level where they have the final say, for instance if Michael Eavis offered a lesser amount to what Reading are paying this year; for the Foo Fighters to play next year at Glastonbury, I doubt the Foo's would let their tour agent stand in their way.

Edited by hawkzred

Yes, that's what I mean :) Glastonbury is going to turn to booking acts on the way up/with something to prove, hence the 2008 comment.

I'm sure Efests will back me up, as he's the one that said it, but Martin has played a massive role in ensuring the fest goes ahead and getting acts who need a bit more persuading. After they headlined first time, they donated their fee to charity, played Pilton Party, as well as Martin personally pleading with Shepton Mallet council when it looked like a licence was likely to be refused. As I said, I really can't stand Coldplay, but they've earned their place to headline every five or six years in my book.

Remember, up until recently (it may still be the case), Glasto was taking the bare minimum as company profit, and putting the majority into the charity, so acts like Coldplay putting their fee back in, and helping use their influence is vital to save funds. As i've stated though, there's very few "Glastonbury connected" acts left, so they're going to have to make new "Glastonbury connected" acts, like 2008.

Edited by MEGABOWL

http://www.digitalsp...lastonbury.html

You can read it in yourself there, Emily says:

""There's so much bartering and hustle with the booking agents. A lot of agents are not that keen on Glastonbury.

"They just don't get it because it doesn't pay enough money."

There's also an article about how they needed to produce a booklet to persuade Springsteen to play, as, and this is word for word, he responded: "glaston-what?" when asked.

I think all this talk about Glastonbury struggling to get acts is pretty unlikely. The festival wen through a difficult period around 5-10 years ago, but has bounced back stronger than ever.

Look at last year - U2, Coldplay, Beyonce - acts as big as any festival could book... and then the 'Glastonbury supporters club' appearing on the Park Stage, Radiohead and Pulp, who could easily have headlined.

Add to that Chems, QOTSA and Primal Scream on the other stage... I mean you really can't ask for anything more. You could take out 3-4 of those acts and still sell out a festival

p.s. I haven't even mentioned the likes of Wu-Tang or BB King. Trust me... they aren't going to have problems booking any time soon.

I was thinking of British acts like Clapton, Elton John, Kate Bush and the Rolling Stones. Not necessarily touring but some of the biggest names in the industry.

Would these type of artists although being able to earn more elsewhere turn down the headline slot?