2013 Headliners

Guest shangri-la_steward

• Replies 11.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

noel might take the Other, you know, I saw them here last week supporting the Cure and there really weren't many people there at all. I dunno, but I don't reckon they're that much of a draw.

(P.S The Cure were fuckign awful)

The more I go the less I care about the lineup really. Its not going to be Pink Floyd so I'll catch 3 or 4 "big" bands and spend the rest of the time drinking in the late night areas or catching the odd gig by some mad Arab punter round the West Holts or taking abuse from people (Mardy) at the Efests meet.

Edited by The Nal

The big problem with the Cure headlining a festival is they had 175 minutes to fill (way to long, but that's another story) and they don't have enough diversity, enough songs with different tempo, enough showstopping moments. Decent enough for the first couple fo songs, then a big stodgy mess in the middle, then the third (godhelpme, the third!!) encore they pulled out the hits, everyone woke up and it was like a different gig.

Now, I know Nal's going to disagree with me here, and that's cool, but for a festival, even for a normal gig, I can't think of anyone who needs 175 minutes. it's too long, honestly. The current age believes that length = quality. It's why people making a film think it needs to be 2.5 hours long instead of 70 minutes, there's this conflagration between length and quality. Excitement and 'value' in concerts, it's not about length. Give me 35 minutes of the Mary Chain raising hell over a 2.5 hour 'workmanlike' set.

"I saw 'XXX' play last night"

"Oooh, how long did they play for?"

"it was great, 3 hours"

Utterly fuckign irrelevant.

(sorry Nal, love you man, but had to say my piece :))

Don't disagree actually mate. Good point. Theres only (maybe) 2 or 3 acts who could play for that long and keep me interested. I've never seen a festie act to play for longer than 2 1/2 hours I don't think.

The length/quality point is very valid. I've the same thing about albums. The early days of having to "fill" a CD produced some awful filler from good bands.

Seeing the Stone Roses next week and I'll be more than happy for a 70 minute gig. No interest in seeing them bang out b sides or over extended jams or whatever for the sake of it.

The big problem with the Cure headlining a festival is they had 175 minutes to fill (way to long, but that's another story) and they don't have enough diversity, enough songs with different tempo, enough showstopping moments. Decent enough for the first couple fo songs, then a big stodgy mess in the middle, then the third (godhelpme, the third!!) encore they pulled out the hits, everyone woke up and it was like a different gig.

Now, I know Nal's going to disagree with me here, and that's cool, but for a festival, even for a normal gig, I can't think of anyone who needs 175 minutes. it's too long, honestly. The current age believes that length = quality. It's why people making a film think it needs to be 2.5 hours long instead of 70 minutes, there's this conflagration between length and quality. Excitement and 'value' in concerts, it's not about length. Give me 35 minutes of the Mary Chain raising hell over a 2.5 hour 'workmanlike' set.

"I saw 'XXX' play last night"

"Oooh, how long did they play for?"

"it was great, 3 hours"

Utterly fuckign irrelevant.

(sorry Nal, love you man, but had to say my piece :))

Edited by thesecretingredientiscrime

Obviously we're talking about personal perspective now, and from a fans point of view, but The Cure and Radiohead (you love it really Nal) would be two. I'll try and think of more when I can actually think of acts with enough consistently good material, i.e 7 or 8 records.

Edited by thesecretingredientiscrime