2013 Headliners

Guest shangri-la_steward

Yesterday, someone big who we’ve really wanted for ages got in contact and so now we’re trying to negotiate the deal, to explain why we can’t offer millions of pounds, but we really want it to happen."

Edited by Ed209

• Replies 11.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well with recent sound from the surviving member of the band Gilmour is the one that would need convincing, I agree with the sentiment however. Glasto and Floyd has to happen, indeed it probably should already have happened.

With regards to the Stone Roses, I would not be impressed in the slightest. Imo they aren't headline material and a very easy/lazy booking, I'd rather give a chance to Sigur Ros. I think they would be a fantastic headlining band.

Edited by thesecretingredientiscrime

With regards to the Stone Roses, I would not be impressed in the slightest. Imo they aren't headline material

the record sales for their shows this summer proves that definitely wrong.

and a very easy/lazy booking,

perhaps, but there's history there. The Roses 'owe' Glasto a headline performance.

I'd rather give a chance to Sigur Ros. I think they would be a fantastic headlining band.

I don't much disagree with you on a personal basis, but most people would be saying "who are they"? ;)

And last time they played (2002, I think) they subbed the Other Stage - and they're certainly no bigger now than they were then.

Okay it's probably fairer to say I don't personally consider them headline material, I've never understood why people like their music so much. Imo it's alright, nowt special. I guess thats the beauty of music though, everyone having different opinions. As for Sigur Ros I agree they probably aren't well known enough to headline, but I think they would pull of a stella set. Maybe Other Stage headliners on day?

Edited by The Nal

Sigur ros are great, but definitely not headlining the main stage material. Not even healdining Bestival this year!

Stone Roses are clearly big enough to headline. Quality may be another issue, but the reveiews around the tour generally seems positive. Would be a good launching ground for them for the new album out next year (very provisionally)

The Roses signed a new recording contract recently didn't they. so if they did play Glastonbury next year their show could be newer than the one that is touring this year.

of course, they have signed record deals and agreed to play Glastonbury before.

Edited by fatyeti24

Okay it's probably fairer to say I don't personally consider them headline material, I've never understood why people like their music so much. Imo it's alright, nowt special. I guess thats the beauty of music though, everyone having different opinions. As for Sigur Ros I agree they probably aren't well known enough to headline, but I think they would pull of a stella set. Maybe Other Stage headliners on day?

Agree on the Roses. And I'm flying to Manchester from Dublin next week to see them. But thats more for the weekend away more than the music.

They have 7-8 songs that people would go mental for though on the Pyramid Stage. Hopefully with lots of the crowd singing as Ian Brown has surely got to be the worst lead singer in the history of music.

P.S. Just imagine hearing Arnold Layne at Glastonbury!?

So if it is The Rolling Stones and Stone Roses already booked, who do we think the third act could be? Surely it would be someone more current, in the mould of KoL in 2008? Who I'm not sure, personal choices would be (as already stated) Sigur Ros, Gaslight Anthem, or...its here i realise I cant think of any others :/

Edited by thesecretingredientiscrime

I can...I'd be more disappointed by missing a bus

it's not that I especially dislike PF. I've got a lot of their stuff, and quite like most of it (although nothing after Wish You Were Here), but I just dont understand why anyone would wet their knickers over seeing a band that passed their creative best at least 35 years ago. The same goes for Led Zeppelin...

I don't think current headliners have to be in the mould of K.O.L. Remember K.O.L were a slight risk at that time. They were very much a cult band, and had never headlined a major UK fest. If you want to go down that line, the almost carbon copy would be The Black Keys. K.O.L subbed R&L the year before they headlined Glasto, and that's what Black Keys are doing this year.

I think there's more current acts out there, who wouldn't necessarily follow that mould. Arcade Fire, Daft Punk, Radiohead, Arctic Monkeys, Kanye West etc. etc.

I can...I'd be more disappointed by missing a bus

it's not that I especially dislike PF. I've got a lot of their stuff, and quite like most of it (although nothing after Wish You Were Here), but I just dont understand why anyone would wet their knickers over seeing a band that passed their creative best at least 35 years ago. The same goes for Led Zeppelin...

That's what I love about Glastonbury, they take risks that other festivals wouldn't.

I was actually thinking of Black Keys at the time of writing, I also think it is quite likely to be Arcade Fire. Them headlining Glastonbury could really propel them into the elite of current music, if they aren't already there.

Edited by Dan R

Gorillaz were very stretched, Arctic Monkeys were way out of their depth and boring... The Killers.. well, they're The Killers, Kings Of Leon... boring. Apart from Jay Z, I can't think of any surprisingly good headline slots

oh The White Stripes were great

Nooo. That was the gig that made Muse megastars. They were already big, but it was seen a massive risk at the time. They pulled it off, and it was a glorious display. One of the best headline sets Glastonbury has ever seen in my view. Once they played that show they were validated as a huge name.

It's just a shame their 2010 show was so piss boring.