2013 Headliners

Guest shangri-la_steward

I'm not sure a pop headliner will be a trend

It's always been Glastonbury's trend.

I reckon that people have got confused about what pop music is, probably as a result of the pop music of the last 15-ish years being pretty much all blokes with guitars. Just because it's blokes with guitars doesn't mean it's not pop music. ;)

• Replies 11.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I was being real, although when I looked her up I noticed that I had indeed heard one of her songs. I guess it's because I haven't watched the television in about a year and a half, plus my radios never get tuned away from Radio 4. I'm in my own little bubble this end!

Neil is making a lot of sense on this thread.

Don't like manufactured pop? Better delete those Monkees tunes from your playlist. Don't like music made by people who want to be successful? better delete pretty much everything else.

Nothing wrong with good pop music, plenty wrong with bad pop music. Plenty wrong with 90% of all music, regardless of genre. Find the good stuff, abandon the rest.

There's nothing snobbish at all about having a preference.

I'm not sure why you are having so much trouble understanding what my point is. It just seems you're being pedantic for sake of it.

Erm ... if I was being pedantic for the sake of it, I might point out that being snobbish is everything about having a preference. :P:lol:

Yes people can interpret the term "pop music" in lots of different ways not only that but mainstream pop music itself has changed a lot over time so the perspective of what pop music is could be different depening on when you grew up and what country you grew up in.

The fact that I'd rather not have Rihanna headline at Glasto isn't a point for you to argue against it's just how I feel about it. Snobbery doesn't come into it.

I've not argued a single word against your preference, I've argued against the ideas you've used around it (and I'm not really meaning the 'snobbery' part).

Just because something might be termed 'pop music' doesn't make it shit by default.

(if you do think it all shit by default, then that is defo snobbery in action. But that's not my point).

There is of course a lot a shit pop music, but there's also a lot of music that's shit in what might be termed 'credible music' too.

All that matters is whether a person likes what they hear.

Edited by eFestivals

Neil is making a lot of sense on this thread.

Don't like manufactured pop? Better delete those Monkees tunes from your playlist. Don't like music made by people who want to be successful? better delete pretty much everything else.

Nothing wrong with good pop music, plenty wrong with bad pop music. Plenty wrong with 90% of all music, regardless of genre. Find the good stuff, abandon the rest.

However I can be fairly sure though that most modern chart music is not going to be to my tastes... because most of it just isn't!

That's fine.

But an awful lot of what Glastonbury has always had - and particularly on Pyramid, Other & JP stages - is the modern chart music of that year.

So when you said...

I'd prefer pop acts to be an every now and again thing, not every year.

... I said....

I've been going to Glastonbury since 1986, and every year there's been loads of pop acts all over the bill.

Despite the words that Michael has said which can safely be ignored, why would anyone think it's going to change? :blink::lol:

Then you got upset. ;)

with the recent news that The vaccines have said about their show at T in the park on main stage and it's The Roses day, I expect them to be 3rd down under Noel and them. I could also see Enter Skiari being 4th down. It's very leeds but with a little swap around.

I'd be surprised not to see Glasto do The Roses - Plan B - The Vaccines

I can also see Lady GaGa - FATM - Example or Tinie Tempah

Then I can see The Rolling Stones - Jack White - not sure here. But Friday look most likely IMO.

I was refering specifically Beyonce type acts headling on the Pyramid where as I'd imagine that you'd consider pretty much every Pyramid headliner to be a pop act (I know that technically they are).

Yeah, I would consider pretty much every Pyramid headliner to be a pop act. Nearly all that aren't now were pop acts in the past (Macca, etc).

But that's the point. They've always been drawn from that wide spectrum of pop, from what we both might regard as the more-credible to the less-credible.

For example, one of the first Glasto's I went to had The Thomson Twins as (I think?) headliner. Now, I know they had an original and 'credible' early years, but at that point they were, I'm sure, no less cringeworthy pop than you're feeling about the likes of Rhianna.

And I just can't see Prince as anything other than cringeworthy pop too (perhaps because of the era I'm from) - yet many people here would love him to headline and think he's very credible (I just think they've been fooled by age :P).

Glastonbury has always had acts like that as headliners. That's always been a part of what it's about. I very much doubt it will change.