2013 Headliners

Guest shangri-la_steward

• Replies 11.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ian Brown may be a shocking singer but he's still better than Will.I.Am.

When you love a band it doesn't really matter what the singer sounds like, it can even be part of the charm. One of the best front men I've ever seen is Dave Lee Roth and he can't hold a note. He also forgets the words a lot but he's still great.

Having said all that, I still fucking hate The Stone Roses :cheese:

Ha ha, I think I know what I heard as did thousands of others and yes the singing from everyone else obviously helped but like I said early on in the gig there was many songs such as Sugar Spun Sister, Where Angles Play etc when the fans were not drowning out his voice and you could hear him very clearly, yes he did sing the odd bum note and he certainly doesn't have a great singing voice like say Adam Lambert (who I'm sure many people who have been slagging the Roses and go to Glastonbury would love to see with Queen!) but he can certainly front a band on a big stage better than this?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uuihnDJiDOc&feature=player_embedded

I'm not wanting to piss on your bonfire or slag off the gig in the slightest. Everyone knows Brown is a shit singer but a great frontman. Plus everyone there had a great time and that's all that matters, I would have loved to have gone myself

but the suggestion that the person taking that cam had its own audio feed that was different to the PA and contained much worse singing, or they were operating in a parallel universe where Ian Brown sounded terrible while he was fine in yours, is frankly, fucking hilarious.

I hope they dont play glastonbury tbh, the gigs sounded great, but that was as much due to the anticipation and enthusiasm of the crowd. But they're all paying fans who know all the words. In a yeara time when the hypes worn off in front of an unfamiliar crowd I cant imagine being anywhere near as good

I hope they dont play glastonbury tbh, the gigs sounded great, but that was as much due to the anticipation and enthusiasm of the crowd. But they're all paying fans who know all the words. In a yeara time when the hypes worn off in front of an unfamiliar crowd I cant imagine being anywhere near as good

I'm not wanting to piss on your bonfire or slag off the gig in the slightest. Everyone knows Brown is a shit singer but a great frontman. Plus everyone there had a great time and that's all that matters, I would have loved to have gone myself

but the suggestion that the person taking that cam had its own audio feed that was different to the PA and contained much worse singing, or they were operating in a parallel universe where Ian Brown sounded terrible while he was fine in yours, is frankly, fucking hilarious.

Edited by she bangs the drums

No offence taken!

I'm not suggesting that his voice ever sounds amazing, it never will, I just thought he sounded good for him compared to what I had heard from him in the past (though I don't think it could have got much worse than Reading and Leeds in 2010) and I think you are correct that the crowd certainly helped make that sound even better.

I was just saying that a video clip from a phone on the barrier never really does anyone justice (nevermind Brown) and it will always sounds better when you are there listening to a PA system that's going into a sound desk with a trained technican? I don't think a comment like that is unreasonable.

Edited by fatyeti24

Was thinking about this the other day, what would you all think about seeing the Arctic Monkeys headline again? Granted, the performance in 2007 wasn't jaw dropping, but they've definitely - in my opinion - progressed as a band, and if they release a 5th record in 2012/13 which has a heavier sound than the others surely they have enough well known songs and different styles to provide a better show? They've said they'd want to do it again, and I'd be happy to see it happen.

I suppose the only downside is that there could potentially be two or maybe even all three headliners which are 'rock' acts, and I'm not sure that would happen.

Was thinking about this the other day, what would you all think about seeing the Arctic Monkeys headline again? Granted, the performance in 2007 wasn't jaw dropping, but they've definitely - in my opinion - progressed as a band, and if they release a 5th record in 2012/13 which has a heavier sound than the others surely they have enough well known songs and different styles to provide a better show? They've said they'd want to do it again, and I'd be happy to see it happen.

I suppose the only downside is that there could potentially be two or maybe even all three headliners which are 'rock' acts, and I'm not sure that would happen.

I think the general opinion is that the gap of one festival since last time they headlined isn't long enough for them to do it again, maybe in 2014 though...

In my opinion, One Direction headlining the festival (they probably have the audience to be able to do it scarily) is stuff of nightmares really. Not even worth contemplating...