T Minus And Counting

Guest mooro

• Replies 3.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks for the feedback guys The Countess is definitely something special. Here is some background

Fowler no. 11421 was built in 1908 by John Fowler & Co of Leeds England and has the registration no. NT 117 and is known as The Countess

Supplied new on September the 11th 1908 to Alf Morgan as an agricultutral traction engine

In 1911 was sold on to The Griffin family of Shropshire, who owned the engine for 85 years till 1996.

Spent part of the 2nd World War as a Standby power source at a Carpet factory and a coal mine, it was then parked under a tree in 1941 were she sat for 36 years till 1977 when she was re steamed.

Bought by Rodney Timpson, from Norfolk in 1996 and fitted with a new firebox in 2008 for her 100th birthday.

Edited by Bathimp

Thanks for the feedback guys The Countess is definitely something special. Here is some background

Fowler no. 11421 was built in 1908 by John Fowler & Co of Leeds England and has the registration no. NT 117 and is known as The Countess

Supplied new on September the 11th 1908 to Alf Morgan as an agricultutral traction engine

In 1911 was sold on to The Griffin family of Shropshire, who owned the engine for 85 years till 1996.

Spent part of the 2nd World War as a Standby power source at a Carpet factory and a coal mine, it was then parked under a tree in 1941 were she sat for 36 years till 1977 when she was re steamed.

Bought by Rodney Timpson, from Norfolk in 1996 and fitted with a new firebox in 2008 for her 100th birthday.

That is a classic bus. There was a time when I wanted something similar and wanted to gut it and put in beds and stuff and wander about. Saw a lovely converted double decker red bus at Shambala last year. It was parked outside the festival itself. Me and my mate wandered over to it thinking it was a cafe. Spoke to the girl there who said it wasn't a cafe but their home for the summer. I gather they just drove it from festival to festival. Nice life.

Nice bit of history there Bathimp. I understand the need for a standby power source at a coal factory during the war but as a back up to a carpet factory? I can only assume the factory was a carpet factory that was commandeered for the war movement and produced other more necessary things during the war period. It would be interesting to know.

I used to live near the BSA factory in Small Heath, Birmingham when I was young. This was a prime target for the german bombers during the war. We were told by a neighbour that an anti aircraft gun was positioned at the end of our garden. The same neighbour had an underground air raid shelter which I was only once allowed to go in. When I went down there it was like people had just left it. There were basic toys to keep the children entertained and newspapers etc that presumably the adults read to keep themselves occupied. To cut a long and boring story short the neighbour decided to give us the toys and a pair of brass binoculars that were down there. Not sure what that's got to do with Glastonbury. Maybe it has a lot to do with it. Would we have the freedom to celebrate the performing arts in such an abandoned manner if those before us hadn't selflessly laid down their lives so that ours would be better. Just a thought.