The Chic Excitmenet Thread.

Guest BlackHole2006

• Replies 680
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Prior to this year I would have never have even dreamt of going to see Chic at Glastonbury. I was a hater of all things disco while it was at its most successful, however the lack of decent alternatives (IMO), seeing the Hitmaker documentary and this thread sparked my interest. And I am so glad I chose this show, it was probably the highlight of the festival for me, great fun to be there, a really tight band and some excellent tunes. Still not a fan of disco music and won't be a buying any or listening to any at home, but I admire that Nile Rodgers put on such a good show and has been so consistent in the music he has been involved with.

Regarding the Bowie love shown in this thread, I am sure he knows a thing or two about music and like Chic or not, if you respect Bowie (and his musical influences) you have to consider the input of Nile Rodgers on the Let's Dance album. It might even be considered even more like a Nile Rodgers album than a Bowie album, but that didn't stop it being one of Bowies most successful.

Edited by gibbin82

• 2 weeks later...

Really tired of Nile's ceaseless self-promoting....

He's on Radio 6 now, supposedly playing his favourite songs. Started off well enough, bit of Hendrix, John Coltrane, James Brown... he's now played the 4th track in a row that was one of his... we're up to Wild Boys by Duran Duran, which only goes to show everyone does at least some genuine crap in their career.

Same at his show.. "yes, I'm Nile Rogers, I just wrote and produced all this stuff"... and "you guys are crazy, no wonder Get Lucky was number one for 72 days" (or whatever it was)...

just very off-putting

ooh, Madonna now... absolutely shameless!

Edited by tonyblair

Really tired of Nile's ceaseless self-promoting....

He's on Radio 6 now, supposedly playing his favourite songs. Started off well enough, bit of Hendrix, John Coltrane, James Brown... he's now played the 4th track in a row that was one of his... we're up to Wild Boys by Duran Duran, which only goes to show everyone does at least some genuine crap in their career.

Same at his show.. "yes, I'm Nile Rogers, I just wrote and produced all this stuff"... and "you guys are crazy, no wonder Get Lucky was number one for 72 days" (or whatever it was)...

just very off-putting

ooh, Madonna now... absolutely shameless!

If ever a man deserved to be a bit cocky though.... I agree the self aggrandising is a bit much, and he has produced some very duff tunes, but when that billion dollar guitar plays well, like on get lucky, the world is a more illuminated, shiny place.

I'm not denying his talent and his great achievements. But I can't stand that "look at me, in case you didn't know, I actually am a genius"...

and he wasn't the first to play that way. Listen to George McRae's 'Rock Your Baby' (Jerome Smith on guitar).

Regarding the Bowie love shown in this thread, I am sure he knows a thing or two about music and like Chic or not, if you respect Bowie (and his musical influences) you have to consider the input of Nile Rodgers on the Let's Dance album. It might even be considered even more like a Nile Rodgers album than a Bowie album, but that didn't stop it being one of Bowies most successful.

like Liam Gallagher or Bobby Gillespie...?

most truly great front people, or even just great artists, don't feel the need to remind the world how great they are. In fact the best seem to be slightly bemused as to why others think they're great. The arrogance seems to be a cover up for genuine interesting talent as far as I can tell.

most truly great front people, or even just great artists, don't feel the need to remind the world how great they are. In fact the best seem to be slightly bemused as to why others think they're great. The arrogance seems to be a cover up for genuine interesting talent as far as I can tell.

no, those 2 are ballbags. I'm thinking more the likes of all the showboating from the who and led zep etc or jim morrioson even

I'm not sure who you are thinking of. But even someone like leonard cohen who has a very humble persona in public, is quite clearly an arrogant person if you read his biography. And why not? He's a genius ;)

truth is, I dont know a lot about rodgers outside his music, I just wanted to argue with you without having to keep going back to the other forum

he does seem like a bit of a tit though I must confess. And dont you dare give him the genius label!

Yes he did. I was always under the impression he liked Let's Dance, but just didn't want to do the same thing again. To avoid repetition, rather than cos he didn't like it, but I'm reading between the lines.

A quote I heard (admittedly from Rodgers, so he may have been bigging himself up) was that when he played Bowie Let's Dance he said, "Sorry have I made it too funky," and Bowie replied, "Nile, is there such a thing?"

Like I said I've just interpreted what I've heard due to Bowie's reputation for not wanting to repeat himself, but it may be he just didn't like it.

Nah - there are plenty of musicians who are arrogance personified but walk it like they talk it - Sun Ra, Miles Davis, Chuck Berry, Lee Scratch Perry, Prince, Little Richard, Fela Kuti, etc.