What's the funniest thing you've heard a Glastonbury virgin ask?

Guest Who2002uk

• Replies 137
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

People saying we shouldn't mock noobs for their stupidity are wrong. You book a ticket months in advance, a 20 minute surf of the Glastonbury website will tell you about late night areas, lack of arena etc etc then if you have missed that you are given a fecking big, fully detailed book on your way in with all the acts, areas etc they have nothing but themselves to blame for being mocked :P

Im new to it all that and after reading one or two people say its funny when people ask this, can you not take alcohol with you anywhere on site? Apart from obv into the bars etc. I'm sure I read somewhere you could.

Without sarcasm, if you don't mind.

I remember in 08 or 09 on the Thursday I was in shangri la with a group of friends and one of the guys who hadn't been before said to me

"i've heard if you go to the stone circle and touch one of the stones you'll be offered drugs within 10 seconds"

So off we went with me humoring him along the way how they were easy to find but it wasn't neccessary to touch one of the stones!

Out group has a newbie that we have been trying to get to come along for a couple of years. He's what i would call an intelligent moron. Capable of the most intelligent conversation and remember anything, great on a quiz as his knowledge is boundless, but he would struggle at the most simplest tasks around the home and just general social skills. As a big sports fan and player in the past, mostly Cricket he owns an old bashed up Cricket bag and one those floppy hats! I asked him last week if he had bought his rucksack and his reply was that he would be taking his cricket bag :) i also can't wait too see him in that old cream Cricket hat :)

I love the question about taking alcohol in to the arenas. Not because it gives me a sense of superiority that I know something that somebody else doesn't, but because I love the fact that if their experience is of other large scale fests then they can hardly believe the answer! :)

Edited by Morse Code

I love the question about taking alcohol in to the arenas. Not because it gives me a sense of superiority that I know something that somebody else doesn't, but because I love the fact that if their experience is of other large scale fests then they can hardly believe the answer! :)

I only went for the first time in 2010. Back when I started going to festivals you caouould always take your own alcohol in (including at Reading) so it was nice to get back to those ways.

But... I did my research before we went, spent loads of time on here and by the time we got there, I was telling someone who's been going for 20 years stuff they didn't know.

God I must have been annoying.

Not superiority but stupidity on a lot of the people discussed here. Who books a 200 quid festival, 5 days long and doesn't check basic facts like...."where's the kitchen area" or "can i bring a tent". Some of the stuff posted is pretty innocent and understandable but some of it (if true) is unbelievable that people book stuff without basic research

Edited by pie_and_a_pint

You're in for a treat :) there is no where near the sense of restriction of other places, you can even wander into a bar with a can in your hand if you really want! You'll be searched at the main gate for glass and sharp objects, but thats it for the rest of the week. Take as many cans as you can (with spares in your boot if you're driving). my personal favourite is boxes of red wine. They're light and you can drink it slightly warm, or buy a chilled bottle of sprite to mix it with :D

I get this.. also after chatting for 10 minutes about glastonbury somebody will say "so are you not going on holiday"? do they think glastonbury is a labour camp? (admittedly feels like it sometimes!)

Not something that was said, but its a foolish act all the same!

The first time me and my friend went I didnt own a rucksack, and being the poor student I was at the time,s I decided not to buy one! I took 2 of my Uni bags with long straps instead which worked perfectly! Got everything in, sorted!

My friend wasnt a poor student, she'd bought the worlds biggest rucksack (probably bigger than she was) crammed FULL with stuff, shoes dangling off any available loop, you get the picture... Anyway, one massive trek onto site and off we trot back to the car for the beer, and oh of course, the REST of her stuff! I could hardly believe it. I was in an even bigger state of disbelief when I saw she'd put the rest of her stuff in a bin bag. Which was also full.

Needless to say the bag ripped and her things got a muddy.

Edited by caroldecker

I don't mind answering questions to all the people I know who have never been even if they are odd at times. I am lucky enough to have been 4 times and consider it my holiday. Still get strange looks from people who have never been when I say that.