Rammstein

Guest 504329lt

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I love Maiden Live, maybe one day at Glastonbury just because they are a british institution. But I can't see Rammstein. I was pretty taken back by QOTSA who were fucking excellent on the day....Shame though. I thought Glastonbury was meant to try embrace all genre's. Course I go to Download every other year instead of Glastonbury to balance it out :-)

I saw them at the Docklands Arena years and years ago - third greatest gig I'd ever been to behind At The Drive-In at the Astoria in 2001 at #2, and Flaming Lips at Jodrell Bank in 2011 at #1.

It would be a spectacle for sure, but do they have that crossover musical appeal?

As broad-minded an audience you'd expect Glastonbury go-er's to be, I think they'd put their foot down at the idea of a bunch of 40+ men playing songs in a language most of them don't understand all the while having fire thrown at them through a giant metal penis. Then again, I'm not terribly overjoyed Mumford & Sons are headlining, the Arctic Monkeys have been a non-entity since about 2006 and I'd rather see Fuck Buttons over The Rolling Stones, so it's all a matter of taste. Personally, looking at just about the entire Pyramid Stage line-up (bar Primal Scream and Nick Cave), I'm shocked at just how shite the line-up is. Maybe a band like Rammstein are too exciting for the Pyramid stage crowd.

Seven words though - I do not care; it is Glastonbury.

Reality is, most people who'd go to Glastonbury probably wouldn't give a shit just as I don't give a shit about the headliners as they stand now. Or the shock of seeing somebody like Rita Ora play on the mainstage instead of, say, Savages or The Black Angels. You know, bands with some substance who deserve that bigger platform. Giving a spot somewhere on it for a band like Rammstein would be different at Glastonbury. Not at Download, Sonisphere or any number of other Metal festivals around the world, but at Glastonbury they'd be different. Isn;t that sort of freedom and risk what Glastonbury is about?

I thought Glastonbury was meant to try embrace all genre's.

Rammstein would insist on headlining, and they're far too niche an act to headline Glastonbury - just look at the utterly mainstream headline acts it has.

The only heavy act with half-a-chance of headlining (based on their mainstream-ness) would be Metallica, I reckon.

Rammstein would insist on headlining, and they're far too niche an act to headline Glastonbury - just look at the utterly mainstream headline acts it has.

The only heavy act with half-a-chance of headlining (based on their mainstream-ness) would be Metallica, I reckon.

Of course, and they have all the right to do so! They're one of the bigger modern metal acts around and have a very good back-catalogue. They would deserve the high spot more than Mumford & Sons and, in my opinion, maybe even the Arctics.

They are playing quite a few mainstream festivals in Europe, so calling them niche might be too much, but still, metal on Glastonbury seems to be a no go. Don't really mind though, I'll go to other festivals for my share of metal. Also makes me wonder: are they really that much more popular on the European mainland than in the UK?

like any band, they've only a right to headline when they're playing to their audience. At Glastonbury they wouldn't be.

Whatever they are in Europe, in the UK they're just about nothing to anyone outside the metal scene. And like it or not that had a massive bearing on the likelihood of them ever headlining.

Just because an act is big within a particular scene it doesn't make them a suitable headliner for something far wider than just their scene.

Glastonbury is doomed to be dominated by Coldplay and the like - as it always has been.

Edited by eFestivals

I don't really get this argument, surely it's not Pear Jam's fault people died? Also they are hardly the heaviest band in the world, MOR grunge at best.

It's not Pearl Jam's fault, but it might be said to be a fault of the music &/or rock/metal scene. Cos the facts get to show that incidents like this happen on a more regular basis around rock/metal bands than they do for other 'scenes'.

Even if a similar incident is far less likely to happen today because of increased safety measures having been put in place over the last decade or so, I reckon it'd be someone pretty heartless to criticise Michael over his decision to in-general swerve the bigger rock/metal acts - because which of us wants to have deaths on our hands for our direct choices if the worst should happen?

It's not Pearl Jam's fault, but it might be said to be a fault of the music &/or rock/metal scene. Cos the facts get to show that incidents like this happen on a more regular basis around rock/metal bands than they do for other 'scenes'.

Even if a similar incident is far less likely to happen today because of increased safety measures having been put in place over the last decade or so, I reckon it'd be someone pretty heartless to criticise Michael over his decision to in-general swerve the bigger rock/metal acts - because which of us wants to have deaths on our hands for our direct choices if the worst should happen?

i love Rammstein. i don't care how cheesy or ridiculous they are, i'd love to see them live sometime. but Glastonbury is not the place that will be at!

as for the 'heavy music' discussion (again), i'd like them to introduce maybe a few more 'heavier' into the mix. not a ridiculous amount, and not a heavy headliner every year or anything like that, but the likes of Metallica headlining one year would be great (although it's been allllll these years without a real 'heavy' headliner that loyal attendees might not agree with it or whatever - much like a lot of idiots were arguing against Eminem headlining Reading and Leeds this year)