2014 Headliner predictions

Guest Matt87

I am surprised that anyone doesn't know one of their songs, but....what I have never got is why they ended up so huge. I still remember them as a tinkly-plonk 80s synthesiser band doing 3 minute pop songs. Somehow they morphed into a bare-chested rrrrrraaawwkkk band, but I think I must have nodded off and missed that happening.

• Replies 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

DM were pioneers of the synth sound. According to Wiki they have had 49 songs in the UK singles chart and thirteen top 10 albums in the UK charts, two of which debuted at No. 1. According to EMI, Depeche Mode have sold over 100 million albums and singles worldwide, making them the most commercially successful electronic band in music history.

The issue is that you appear to just not like synth music, which is generally true of the UK market now.

Whether or not they could headline Pyramid isnt in question in my mind. Yes they could. They have headlined massive gigs globally. Is it your cup of tea? No it's not.

Oh, THAT'S Depeche Mode!? Yes, I do know them then... They're not my cup of tea, really... They seem like stuff my mum listened to then, haha

But yeah, I do know them... And I don't want them to headline haha.

That "I Just Can't Get Enough" tune is done better by football crowds as well... Not all that synth stuff... It's like Bastille of the 80s.

And for future reference, I'm 19.

This place sometimes.

How come lots of acts 'aren't big enough' anymore? I really don't get it. Arcade Fire, Depeche Mode etc. are all obviously big enough for a headline slot. Just because some people can't name songs doesn't mean they're too small to do it! Do I use Mumford and Sons as a marker for the modern day? If so, both can easily headline.

Maybe not the case for Depeche Mode, but you can't moan that bands like U2, Fleetwood Mac or the Stones will be 'past it' and 'crap', and then moan that a band like Arcade Fire, who have been praised for excellent live shows, are 'too small'.

In most cases, you get one or the other. I can't imagine very many large-size bands are still good live once they've gone past their 'peak' if you like.

Edited by GlastoSimon

This place sometimes.

How come lots of acts 'aren't big enough' anymore? I really don't get it. Arcade Fire, Depeche Mode etc. are all obviously big enough for a headline slot. Just because some people can't name songs doesn't mean they're too small to do it! Do I use Mumford and Sons as a marker for the modern day? If so, both can easily headline.

Maybe not the case for Depeche Mode, but you can't moan that bands like U2, Fleetwood Mac or the Stones will be 'past it' and 'crap', and then moan that a band like Arcade Fire, who have been praised for excellent live shows, are 'too small'.

In most cases, you get one or the other. I can't imagine very many large-size bands are still good live once they've gone past their 'peak' if you like.

most of the acts being mentioned are definitely big enough, but it's just whether the Glastonbury goers will respond well to the act, and me personally, can't see Depeche Mode going down particularly well. maybe it's just because i don't know much about them / care much about them, but i can't see today's general Glastonbury goer particularly caring about them either

Edited by FloorFiller

most of the acts being mentioned are definitely big enough, but it's just whether the Glastonbury goers will respond well to the act, and me personally, can't see Depeche Mode going down particularly well. maybe it's just because i don't know much about them / care much about them, but i can't see today's general Glastonbury goer particularly caring about them either

They are one of those, "you don't realise how many songs you know" bands aren't they? I was struggling to get past Personal Jesus but I actually know all of those!

I'm surprised anyone thinks they are big enough to headline (headline Other would be more likely IMO) but I reckon they'd be pretty good. I'd be happy with them heading Pyramid as I wouldn't be too fussed but I'd happily go and see them if there was nothing else on.

You lot are spoiled. Depeche Mode could headline as could Elbow or any number of acts who are mid sized or used to be bigger. Go look at the history of the festival, for every U2, Rolling Stones or Coldplay there's a Skunk Anansie a Verve or an Ash/Steve Winwood.

I'm going to let you all in on a little secret...are you listening?...come a little closer... Just because YOU think a band isn't big enough to headline doesn't mean they won't ;)

You lot are spoiled. Depeche Mode could headline as could Elbow or any number of acts who are mid sized or used to be bigger. Go look at the history of the festival, for every U2, Rolling Stones or Coldplay there's a Skunk Anansie a Verve or an Ash/Steve Winwood.

I'm going to let you all in on a little secret...are you listening?...come a little closer... Just because YOU think a band isn't big enough to headline doesn't mean they won't ;)

This place sometimes.