2014 Headliner predictions

Guest Matt87

• Replies 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm interested in your definition of big enough. You scoff at this place for debating it but say they are as if it's a fact. Why are they 'obviously' big enough? And they can 'easily' headline of Mumford are the marker? I doubt Depeche Mode have sold as many records, tour tickets or are as instantly recognisable to 16-21 year-old Radio One listeners.

ha i'm totally aware that they've released a lot more material oftt, with a couple of other well known songs scattered throughout the rest of their discography (and then a lot of 'which one's this?'s). granted i'm not greatly in the loop concerning Fleetwood Mac so maybe i'm totally underestimating how many hits they actually do have (can see them being one of those 'oh this song that i've heard a million times before is Fleetwood Mac?' acts). ANYWAY my point being, (imo, as always, of course) Fleetwood Mac being a weak-er BIG headliner, coupled with Depeche Mode and Elbow, two other weak-er headliners, doesn't seem very impressive in my eyes

ah yes but both Depeche Mode AND Elbow headlining, along with Fleetwood Mac who, let's be honest, have made a career on one album. i'm not saying that these acts aren't headliner worthy (especially Fleetwood Mac), but all together, in one year, it seems rather weak (imo), especially the year after the Stones (which was always going to be a tough act to follow). maybe i am just expecting too much (i know Glastonbury isn't always the festival to get the biggest names headlining). just seems like a weak top few acts, and i know that almost everybody i'll be going with would agree (although i'm sure there are obviously people foaming at the mouth at the idea of those three acts headlining)

wonder where all this Oasis stuff is coming from. i really didn't think they were even a slight possibility. they only split four years ago! give them some time to be missed (if that's even a possibility). gathered with the fact that their last Glastonbury headline slot is remembered more for Liam's ridiculous white coat than the performance itself

I'm interested in your definition of big enough. You scoff at this place for debating it but say they are as if it's a fact. Why are they 'obviously' big enough? And they can 'easily' headline of Mumford are the marker? I doubt Depeche Mode have sold as many records, tour tickets or are as instantly recognisable to 16-21 year-old Radio One listeners.

For the record I'd much rather see Depeche Mode or certainly Arcade Fire, but I'm nt sure what makes them such obvious choices compared to the likes of Mumford.

There's a lot of er, interesting, thinking on this htread. I'm no DM fan, but they're a fucking massive band, both globally and in the UK. They've got that name recognition which is, these days, vital for Glastonbury headliners. The test is, i reckon that when you tell people in your office/canteen/wherever that you're going to Glastonbury, they ask 'Who's playing'.

Answer 'The Stones' or 'Fleetwood Mac' or 'Depeche Mode' or even 'Mumford and Sons' and you'll get a response. Answer 'Arcade Fire' and you'll get a fair few 'Who?'s. Not saying it's fair, right, or just. But it is the way the festival has gone.

There's a lot of er, interesting, thinking on this htread. I'm no DM fan, but they're a fucking massive band, both globally and in the UK. They've got that name recognition which is, these days, vital for Glastonbury headliners. The test is, i reckon that when you tell people in your office/canteen/wherever that you're going to Glastonbury, they ask 'Who's playing'.

Answer 'The Stones' or 'Fleetwood Mac' or 'Depeche Mode' or even 'Mumford and Sons' and you'll get a response. Answer 'Arcade Fire' and you'll get a fair few 'Who?'s. Not saying it's fair, right, or just. But it is the way the festival has gone.

Lets be honest unless zeppelin reform they aint ever going to top u2 and stones. By that i mean the actual size of the band, there aint anyone in the same league as those two

But saying that theres still a big pool to choose from,

Any 3 from gaga,dm,stone roses and fleetwood mac

Edited by wbarenno