Nick Cave

Midnight Man

2 minutes ago, Mash011 said:

Perhaps true but would you really rather see Nick Cave perform to a crowd of clueless Mumfords fans than to an appreciative crowd of his own fans?

I saw them play before the Chili Peppers at Coachella back in '13. A crowd full of bros with no idea what was going on, now that was something. The Bad Seeds absolutely smashed it, best I've seen them play.

3 minutes ago, majormajormajor said:

I saw them play before the Chili Peppers at Coachella back in '13. A crowd full of bros with no idea what was going on, now that was something. The Bad Seeds absolutely smashed it, best I've seen them play.

Reminds me of the famous quote:

"I’m forever near a stereo saying, ‘What the fuck is this garbage?’ And the answer is always the Red Hot Chili Peppers." - Nick Cave

Edited by dentalplan
  • Upvote 5

8 minutes ago, Mash011 said:

Perhaps true but would you really rather see Nick Cave perform to a crowd of clueless Mumfords fans than to an appreciative crowd of his own fans?

There was something weirdly inappropriate/appropriate about watching Nick Cave in front of a few front rows of kids waiting for Mumfords. The bemusement and fear rolled into one I think :lol: 

Have not seen him at his own show yet to be fair (this year fingers crossed)

Edited by GlastoSimon

6 minutes ago, russycarps said:

Yep, 2013 was much, much better than their headline gig at latitude for example. 

Got to agree with this. It worked brilliantly.

Having said that, I found the atmosphere a lot flatter before Blur in 2009. I think the Bad Seeds were on better form in 2013 personally. And it would very much depend what the new album is like and what kind of show they'd be doing. This is all presuming they'd tour at all...

6 hours ago, FloorFiller said:

Only other place I can see them playing that isn't Pyramid sub is JP headliner. Other just doesn't seem a good fit anymore but I reckon they could just about be considered the right size for JP after Sigur Ros this year 

That said, if they end up playing any festivals I think a Latitude headline slot is more likely than Glastonbury again

If NIN end up headlining the Other, he would be a good option to sub them I think. I have no idea if Trent and Nick are mates, but I have a feeling they would get on well :P

14 hours ago, mungo57 said:

I agree, but I was going by the crowd for the Pyramid the year he was on before Mumfords. Loads of room to stand and I got the impression most that were there were just waiting for Mumfords - I figured he may struggle on Other with numbers.
Then again judging by the pathetic crowd LCD got last year that wouldn't matter :P

This year. And it wasn't pathetic at all. Smaller than average yes, but a very respectable pull for a band up against Coldplay and EW&F. Most importantly, it was the best crowd atmosphere of the weekend by a mile.

Also worth mentioning the 2013 slot was in the middle of clashmania, The Smashing Pumpkins pulled away quite a bit of their crowd, including me.

unfortunately won't be able to see the film (not in the cinema at least) so album leak it is for me

just finished my first listen and thought it was great. hauntingly beautiful. as expected it's all pretty downbeat like Jesus Alone. didn't pay enough attention to the lyrics to hear just how related they were to his son's death, but i imagine on repeat listens stuff will start jumping out. Rings of Saturn, I Need You and Distant Sky were three immediate standouts for me (Else Torp's additional vocals on Distant Sky are just fantastic)

hope everybody enjoys the film!

3 minutes ago, FloorFiller said:

unfortunately won't be able to see the film (not in the cinema at least) so album leak it is for me

just finished my first listen and thought it was great. hauntingly beautiful. as expected it's all pretty downbeat like Jesus Alone. didn't pay enough attention to the lyrics to hear just how related they were to his son's death, but i imagine on repeat listens stuff will start jumping out. Rings of Saturn, I Need You and Distant Sky were three immediate standouts for me (Else Torp's additional vocals on Distant Sky are just fantastic)

8 hours ago, When Jokers Attack said:

No chance I'm listening to it before seeing the film.

1 hour ago, carlosj said:

This. Tonight at Hyde Park, Leeds. Can't wait.

I'm with you guys, saving myself for the film. Very excited and also have no real idea what to expect.

I've got the album on pre-order, so hopefully that should arrive soon after.

Glad to hear it's good though FloorFiller!

1 hour ago, FloorFiller said:

I don't think there are links within the lyrics but I feel like he's plumbing new depths of his sorrow and the tragedy will have helped shape the album as there's no raucous tracks or anything and the songs on there are particularly heartbreaking. I imagine most of it was written before his bereavement too so I wasn't expecting anything like that but I could be completely wrong, I'm sure it will be explained to all the peeps going to the pictures tonight.

It is absolutely brilliant though. Just a shame it's so god damn short. I wouldn't have listened if I could go see the film but now I wish I could see it even more.

12 minutes ago, FloorFiller said:

by that i assume you mean any songs that build up and explode towards the end? no not really, it's all pretty steadily paced. by no means a bad thing though - it really is a fantastic album

Cheers. I dont mind a downbeat album but I was hoping for a bit of fire in this one. Perhaps anger will be shown in the next album.

Sounds like it will be a similar situation to the radiohead album then, which I've barely listened to since the early hype.

Edited by russycarps

Just to set some expectations -- the whole thing is very downbeat and slow.

If you saw the preview to the film, and expected a lot of Warren's violin and quite a bit of noise, don't expect that from this album. The images in the preview of what looks liked heavy drumming and Nick doing his dance - there's nothing on the album that corresponds to those images.

Edited by majormajormajor

What do you all think? I like the album from seeing the film, although I think it's a grower without the benefit of the visuals. Tough parts of the film with the underlying subject matter but many points of humour too. Now to await album delivery.

Jesus Christ I feel an emotional wreck after that. Was in tears for for a good chunk. So fucking raw and tragic and yet so beautiful and fragile and shot so wonderfully. Saw the 2D version, would be interested to see the 3D but not sure I could go back in a hurry. Absolutely loved it but yeah not an easy watch by any means. So hard to see someone's grief laid out like that. 

The new album sounds so amazing. Can't wait to get my hands on it.

Warren was fantastic as ever. He should have his own film. 

On 9/7/2016 at 11:47 AM, dentalplan said:

Reminds me of the famous quote:

"I’m forever near a stereo saying, ‘What the fuck is this garbage?’ And the answer is always the Red Hot Chili Peppers." - Nick Cave

Wonder what are his thoughts about this :P

New album is amazing. Girl in Amber had me almost in tears

• Upvote 1

I loved it, very unique film experience, didn't expect his wife and son to feature. Nick Cave finally felt human to me, I hope it's never realesed and I'm not going to listen to the album right away, I can't stop thinking about it, powerful stuff. As sad as it was there was at least 3 or 4 little funny bits in there, Warren is a gem. 

Edited by When Jokers Attack