Smashing Pumpkins

mimimomo

Was it just me, or did it seem like Billy Corgan didn't really want to be there?

It was like Michael Eavis had forced him to play or something. Compare his performance to Nick Cave's (who I stupidly missed to see the SPs), it just seems dead. Even when he played the guitar with his teeth, it was done really nonchalantly.

The crowd were really excited and he didn't really seem to care. He didn't interact with the crowd at all.

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Really? He seemed like he was enjoying it to me. Definitely cracked a few smiles during the early part of the set and when Uli Roth came on for a guest solo, he looked like he was having the time of his life.

Didn't realise that was who it was. I saw him setting up a guitar before the set so I automatically thought it was a roadie/guitar tech guy. Feel silly now.

But yeah he loved that, and he loved the adulation he received from the crowd, his ego was well fed. Plenty of smiling from Billy.

Also don't know how some thought (knew) they nailed it and some think it was boring or pompous or what not but that's just opinions I suppose.

No I think Billy loved it. He was definitely cracking smiles a lot. As others have said, he's not one to interact much, but don't take that to mean he's not enjoying himself. I think he was taking aback by how much love they were getting. To be fair I thought they sounded great! As a band they all played excellently.

This was one of the results of the weekend for me: that I got to see Nick Cave from down the front and made it to Other in time for all four of the Pumpkins songs I wanted to hear! I thought they sounded great but yeah not a patch on the party at the Pyramid...

Still, it was a proper Glasto moment for when I found my best friend in the middle of the field. She'd been gutted we weren't seeing them together, as was I, so it got pretty emotional...

This was one of the results of the weekend for me: that I got to see Nick Cave from down the front and made it to Other in time for all four of the Pumpkins songs I wanted to hear! I thought they sounded great but yeah not a patch on the party at the Pyramid...

Still, it was a proper Glasto moment for when I found my best friend in the middle of the field. She'd been gutted we weren't seeing them together, as was I, so it got pretty emotional...

I saw the first 15 min of Nick Cave which were magical (gutted I missed the rest) however because I gave myself 20 min to get to the Other stage (and I was on my own) I managed to get right to the front for The Smashing Pumpkins which was just too fucking incredible! I wouldn't have done it any differently if I had another chance :)

Glad you got to see the Pumpkins too!....looks like I'm gonna have to get myself a Nick Cave ticket now!

I saw the first 15 min of Nick Cave which were magical (gutted I missed the rest) however because I gave myself 20 min to get to the Other stage (and I was on my own) I managed to get right to the front for The Smashing Pumpkins which was just too fucking incredible! I wouldn't have done it any differently if I had another chance :)

Glad you got to see the Pumpkins too!....looks like I'm gonna have to get myself a Nick Cave ticket now!

Hooray :) Wondered if you might get to see a bit of both too. Looks like we got what we wanted!

Do yourself a favour and get a ticket for Nick Cave though. There are no words.

Considering billy is notorious for being a moody sulky git he looked like he was having a great time and really enjoying himself. Seen them a few times before and I'm pretty sure he was having a whale of a time. He never really talks at gigs and if he's in a mood they've been known to play a ridiculously obscure set which they didn't

I think its par for the course with him. Some frontmen are notoriously mute but I thought the set was very good, the bigger hits sounded great and I didn't find myself questioning his commitment at any point, I think it's just the impression he gives off. He's not Dave Grohl, after all.

Thank god

I really hope we get some heavier bookings in the future (even just smaller bands) they always seem to go down so well.

Me too. It always seems like whenever a heavier band plays, the people who turn up are just relieved to have something to mosh to, so fully get into it. Thats how I feel anyway. Was good to be in the pits for Pumpkins and Dino Jnr this year.

Yeah i'll never have anyone say anything bad about Billy Corgan! That was one of the best sets i saw the whole weekend Disarm, Tonight, Tonight, Butterfly with Bullet Wings back to back! Then Today and Zero how could that ever be a bad setlist? He did smile a good few times but from what i've heard Jake Bugg never smiled the whole time he played and everyone thought he was amazing....