Smashing Pumpkins

mimimomo

Didn't he write/record the entire debut album or something because the band were whacked out on drugs?

Not quite. I believe the second album he did the guitar and bass parts of James and Darcy because they weren't good enough, probably because they were going through stuff at the time. Jimmy was whacked out on drugs but Billy had to keep dragging him back into the studio because there's no way he could replicate his drumming. Still can't I suppose.

But I mean, the origins of the band is that Billy was writing his own stuff to a drum machine and then drafted some other people in to form a live band. I think he just gets so much shit because he's a pretty outspoken guy so he comes across as some egomaniac and people would like to think he just argues with and fires everybody but he just needs people who are in the right frame of mind and prepared to work to his schedule as it's his band. so that's why there's been a fair bit of turnover in band members.

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Not quite. I believe the second album he did the guitar and bass parts of James and Darcy because they weren't good enough, probably because they were going through stuff at the time. Jimmy was whacked out on drugs but Billy had to keep dragging him back into the studio because there's no way he could replicate his drumming. Still can't I suppose.

But I mean, the origins of the band is that Billy was writing his own stuff to a drum machine and then drafted some other people in to form a live band. I think he just gets so much shit because he's a pretty outspoken guy so he comes across as some egomaniac and people would like to think he just argues with and fires everybody but he just needs people who are in the right frame of mind and prepared to work to his schedule as it's his band. so that's why there's been a fair bit of turnover in band members.

hmm have to say when a band goes through so many different members and personalities and billy cant get on with any of them hes plainly the one with the issue not the bandmates, pumpkins are a shadow of what they used to be, they just looked bored when i saw them last, a long way away from the band they used to be.

I was wrong about this being his vanity project though billy corgan....that was `Zwan`....I was one of the unfortunates who bourght that album....utter bollocks haha

Edited by thatcrazypenguin

So could I assume the same about Steve Harris? :P

Zwan was a proper band started with Jimmy while SP were dead. His solo art is his vanity project. He released a second rate Metal Machine Music earlier this year.

if steve was changing band members every year or so like billy does then yes....that isnt the case though? and no zwan werent a proper band, zwan was billy corgan trying to do art rock and sounding shite haha

Billy is the Smashing Pumpkins. Always has been.

^This^

There always seems to be a direct correlation between the size of a frontman's ego/how much of a dick they are vs how much goodwill they receive for a rotational band line up.

Bands like the Pumpkins and Guns N Roses get shot to pieces with "But it's not the real band" comments where as you'll never hear anyone talking about The Cure or Queens of the Stone Age like that.

^This^

There always seems to be a direct correlation between the size of a frontman's ego/how much of a dick they are vs how much goodwill they receive for a rotational band line up.

Bands like the Pumpkins and Guns N Roses get shot to pieces with "But it's not the real band" comments where as you'll never hear anyone talking about The Cure or Queens of the Stone Age like that.

Or Motörhead.

^This^

Not 100% true, Axl could be the most charming guy in the entire world and today's GNR would still be abominable, and GNR was never just him in the first place.