Elbow to headline in 2014

Guest ninetyeightytwo

• Replies 388
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i think the same as another that elbow may as well be a radioheahead side project but i get their headline slot but won't see it, the good thing is it'll be a dance act I'd imagine or a heavier rock band opposite.

But this act that seen keen to play it but management wanting a bigger fee sounds like kol or fleetwood mac. The roses and kasabian have cashed in plenty recent, the latter have said it only takes a phone call, roses are in that but don't think their management would see them as a bankable act again for gig payers. Kol's people may think that v is not enough but after their arena shows aren't aren't sold out, albeit overpriced, I'd not turn it down if i was them.

Fleetwood thou can easily still tour off payday and cash in but have been vocal about it.

Yup, fleetwood mac would be my guess.

The other is arcade fire but the whole well established goes against them and we've heard nothing since butler saying it wasn't for him.

I'll have a longshot as earlier and say the stones roses and kasabian are out at the minute.

I think for people to hear now after an unsold out Kasabian with good support day regardless of it was same time as glasto or not and the roses after only just doing finsbury and iow in June and one show not sold out would not give a great lot of excitement.

Edited by PDAD

i always thought that if radiohead headlined a stage that elbow subbing them was the perfect combination if you like that. Infact i think people would be all over that.

I reckon its pretty much on that radiohead aren't going to headline next year, there is nothing for them too but i cite 15 as the year it'll be.

I'd love it if Elbow headline. Elbow have been "lumped in" with the Coldplays and Snow Patrols of this world in the last few years. Well, balls. They are way, way better than that. Guy Garvey is one of the best lyricists in the country. I'd like more of a mix of their complete album career than has been the case in recent times, not out of "old fan" snobbishness but simply because those early records were so good and don't deserve to be overlooked.

I think many people base their views of Elbow on the fact that one of their songs, which has become unavoidable in recent times, has a bit of a predictable Hey Jude ending on it. It's a pretty song but hardly substantial, and not exactly representative of their body of work as a whole...

Sorry, I should have added 'in my opinion' :P

But I stand by it! Both are boring bland guitar bands to me. I dislike them equally.

Radiohead have experimented a lot with their sound electronically and so on. I've not witnessed Elbow do that (apologies if they have!).

I don't think Arctics and Mumfords sound the same but they are more similar in my eyes and to my ears than Elbow and Radiohead. That's all.

Beyonce managed that. I've never quite understood it, given tickets being sold in advance of headliner announcements, but the Pyramid field was full of neanderthal teenagers chucking their litter all over the place and generally not giving a toss about the festival, the farm or (obviously - it was a Beyonce gig) the music.

EDIT: I should add, the "wrong crowd" were on the JPT side of the field; the curious middle-agers were all on the cider bus side (sweeping generalisations, I know) presumably to ensure that they had a quick exit plan for when she was as dreadful as they thought she would be (and was).