Elbow to headline in 2014

Guest ninetyeightytwo

• Replies 388
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I caught the late 2012 arena tour, on which they played Fugitive Motel and Grace Under Pressure.

They're hardly adverse to dipping into the back catalogue, but I'm wondering how many gigs I'll have to attend before I finally see them play Scattered Black and Whites. Now that would be a Glastonbury Moment.

I've felt, for some years now, that Elbow would lend themselves very well to a three hour Springsteenesque marathon set. Hopefully, as their back catalogue grows, so too will their set times.

I don't know HOW you lot are gettig quoted odds for elbow, I was just told by them that they will email me with odds when they have them available. Seems ridiculous! They also cared not when I told them I knew of others who had already placed bets!

By the time they get back to me the price will be 25/1 I bet people have already laid into it after what was posted today lol

Elbow certainly do make sense as they tick a lot of the boxes in general as well as specifically to Glastonbury.

I think for someone like them though with a limited amount of hit singles and mainstream airplay it's a big step up from having a decent chap as a singer who can connect with the crowd and keep them feeling happy as the sun goes down to actually being one of the bands that people go in their droves to specifically watch.

They aren't and never will be as 'big' as Mumford, so while most of us here detest them there are an awful lot of people who have repeatedly listened to Mumford's two records over an over and can be entertained with a number of album tracks, I'm not sure that's the case with Elbow.

Still if it is them I'm sure they'll do all in their power to make it a grand occasion.

I called up via my phone account, they put me on hold for 5 mins then come back to me with a price. I'd try and do it with an exisiting account if you can, bookies aren't soft if they see a new account set up followed by a random request for a bet not listed they'll smell a rat and probably decline the request.

Would be happy with this choice, definitely willing to go and see them, feel it may be filled with Seldom Seen Kid and Build A Rocket Boys though, hopefully they fit in a few from the older albums. Grace Under Pressure would be magnificent. Just hope they go down well, worried that plenty of people won't know loads of the songs, and headlining at Glastonbury seems to be more about making sure everyone knows all of your songs rather than actually performing well. Deserve it though, more than paid their dues.

Elbow will put on a great show but agree with Mrtourette is that they are not as "big" as mumford, but this is purely from a commercial, radio 1 point of view.

I am one of those that has listened to Mumfords records over and over. I own Elbows too, but only listened to them a couple of times. If i'm lucky enough to get tickets then that will have to change!

Elbow certainly do make sense as they tick a lot of the boxes in general as well as specifically to Glastonbury.

I think for someone like them though with a limited amount of hit singles and mainstream airplay it's a big step up from having a decent chap as a singer who can connect with the crowd and keep them feeling happy as the sun goes down to actually being one of the bands that people go in their droves to specifically watch.

They aren't and never will be as 'big' as Mumford, so while most of us here detest them there are an awful lot of people who have repeatedly listened to Mumford's two records over an over and can be entertained with a number of album tracks, I'm not sure that's the case with Elbow.

Still if it is them I'm sure they'll do all in their power to make it a grand occasion.

I swear by the Hammer of Thor that I had not seen the arse/Elbow post. Honestly, you've no idea how laggy my connection is.

Though even so, I can't see why my original post is so controversial to some. Why, for instance, is that fireman so angry? Is it because he sees things on the job that can't be unseen? I guess that would make anyone angry. Still, if he's going to donate a grand to The British Red Cross he can't be that bad.

Edited by mrtourette

I caught the late 2012 arena tour, on which they played Fugitive Motel and Grace Under Pressure.

They're hardly adverse to dipping into the back catalogue, but I'm wondering how many gigs I'll have to attend before I finally see them play Scattered Black and Whites. Now that would be a Glastonbury Moment.

I've felt, for some years now, that Elbow would lend themselves very well to a three hour Springsteenesque marathon set. Hopefully, as their back catalogue grows, so too will their set times.

Big fan of Elbow & delighted to hear theyre being given the boost up to Pyramid headliner. I agree with those that've pointed out they have an inate understanding of the festival and its particular ethos and that this can only work to the festival's benefit. There will be those that complain theyre "weak" or "dull". But I think the songs/performance are anything but. Theyre certainly a fucksight better than recent headliners Coldplay or the God-Awful Mumfords.

If the "Glastonbury Moment" is to lend weightlessness to the hearts and souls of the audience they have that well within their capabilities. For all their catalogue and shock/awe factor at their disposal the Stones on Saturday didnt get close to the emotion in the commanding sets from Neil Young or Blur in recent years in these terms to name but two.

Stones was a different type of show of course... and I enjoyed it thoroughly - but then Glastonbury is a different type of festival and a Glastonbury moment (Tender/Karma Police etc) were primarilly aimed at the heart. This is Elbow's special skill.

And with that William hill have removed all trace of Glasto betting from their site!

Must have had a fair few ringig them!

As someone who likes a bet, this means they are either reforming the market and will add Elbow in and repost the betting, or they will have suspended the betting altogether

And with that William hill have removed all trace of Glasto betting from their site!

Must have had a fair few ringig them!

As someone who likes a bet, this means they are either reforming the market and will add Elbow in and repost the betting, or they will have suspended the betting altogether

Big fan of Elbow & delighted to hear theyre being given the boost up to Pyramid headliner. I agree with those that've pointed out they have an inate understanding of the festival and its particular ethos and that this can only work to the festival's benefit. There will be those that complain theyre "weak" or "dull". But I think the songs/performance are anything but. Theyre certainly a fucksight better than recent headliners Coldplay or the God-Awful Mumfords.

If the "Glastonbury Moment" is to lend weightlessness to the hearts and souls of the audience they have that well within their capabilities. For all their catalogue and shock/awe factor at their disposal the Stones on Saturday didnt get close to the emotion in the commanding sets from Neil Young or Blur in recent years in these terms to name but two.

Stones was a different type of show of course... and I enjoyed it thoroughly - but then Glastonbury is a different type of festival and a Glastonbury moment (Tender/Karma Police etc) were primarilly aimed at the heart. This is Elbow's special skill.

Nice post, totally gets at what I was trying to get across. :)