Elbow to headline in 2014

Guest ninetyeightytwo

• Replies 388
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Still lost on me, old boy.

1. Why on EARTH would Elbow's playing make it at all less likely for Radiohead to play? Elbow aren't a Radiohead side project, you know.

2. Why STILL would you be HOPEFUL that Radiohead might not play? This might come as a surprise to you, but you really don't have to watch anyone, you know.

Sometimes I think that people only say things on the internet so that they might get a reaction. It's almost as if they're trolling a line, looking for a bite.

1.) I know you get similar artists headlining but I really couldn't see Elbow and Radiohead headlining the same year, I'd hope that the Eavii would have some more imagination.

2.) I personally would rather have someone else headline that I like rather than Radiohead. I know it might be hard to understand but I would rather have headliners that I want to see. I know Radiohead fans seem to struggle with this concept but some people find their music incredibly tedious.

efestivals never knows officially until the exact same time as you.

(not quite 100% accurate ... we tend to get the listing sdhortly before the publication time)

That's not stopped us being 100% on at least half the headliners over the last decade+ long before any official announcement.

However, things are still a long way from the "they're a definite" stage. What I believe I know are the acts that Eavis has made verbal agreements with quite a while before this year's fest, which history shows don't always actually get to happen for a number of different reasons (bands touring plans change, they get a better offer, they split up, whatever) ... so while I can reveal what I think I know, it's a long way short of me saying "these are he headliners for next year, definitely".

Having said that, because of Elbow's relationship with Glasto, I think it's a strong likelihood that they will be one of the headliners for next June.

The other two acts are more likely to change, I think. I know one of those acts seem to be pretty excited about doing it, but there's all sorts of things which might still get in the way. For example, it's probably the case that their manager would rather they played elsewhere instead of Glasto, because the band will get a bigger fee and so then would the manager too. So I reckon any manager is likely to try and steer their band towards the bigger fee.

Today I've learned that nobody should ever ever ever react negatively against a headliner announcement.

If you like them, boss! You get to watch them.

If you dislike them, boss! You get to bimble!

Unless it's someone who might "attract the wrong crowd", but other than the pope I fail to see how that could come to pass.

Seriuosly dnt get the obsessive ness with radiohead and thom yorkes many guises. They make weird stuff theyve admitted as much can release anything and people will buy it. Every thread is laced with thom york. Is he playibg can radiohead play will he cover for everyband that ever doesnt turn up. I find it weirdly obsessive. I like radiohead aswell just dntvget the jesus like status he gets. Anyway. Rant over lol

Yeah, my mates Mrs said "I love Daft Punk", I asked what her favourite track was, she just looked at me blankly. Still, great "band" and I think they would absolutely storm a headline set, especially if they broke out Nile Rodgers and all the other guests from Random Access, maybe do two sets like Bobby W did.

Won't be putting my money on them playing though. I'll await Neil's insider knowledge and the inevitable debate tomorrow!

I'd love it if Elbow headline. Elbow have been "lumped in" with the Coldplays and Snow Patrols of this world in the last few years. Well, balls. They are way, way better than that. Guy Garvey is one of the best lyricists in the country. I'd like more of a mix of their complete album career than has been the case in recent times, not out of "old fan" snobbishness but simply because those early records were so good and don't deserve to be overlooked.

I think many people base their views of Elbow on the fact that one of their songs, which has become unavoidable in recent times, has a bit of a predictable Hey Jude ending on it. It's a pretty song but hardly substantial, and not exactly representative of their body of work as a whole...

Yeah, my mates Mrs said "I love Daft Punk", I asked what her favourite track was, she just looked at me blankly. Still, great "band" and I think they would absolutely storm a headline set, especially if they broke out Nile Rodgers and all the other guests from Random Access, maybe do two sets like Bobby W did.

Won't be putting my money on them playing though. I'll await Neil's insider knowledge and the inevitable debate tomorrow!

I'd love it if Elbow headline. Elbow have been "lumped in" with the Coldplays and Snow Patrols of this world in the last few years. Well, balls. They are way, way better than that. Guy Garvey is one of the best lyricists in the country. I'd like more of a mix of their complete album career than has been the case in recent times, not out of "old fan" snobbishness but simply because those early records were so good and don't deserve to be overlooked.

I think many people base their views of Elbow on the fact that one of their songs, which has become unavoidable in recent times, has a bit of a predictable Hey Jude ending on it. It's a pretty song but hardly substantial, and not exactly representative of their body of work as a whole...

I actually really like a lot of the new album. Giorgio by Moroder, Contact, Lose Yourself to Dance...i all really enjoy.

But yeah, Get Lucky has been overplayed to a ridiculous degree and the association of who else likes it dampens it.