The Elbow Excitement Thread!

ThomThomDrum

I'd got bored with Elbow, saw them support Coldplay in ( 2011?), and a couple of other times before that, and as per usual Guy was briliant, even converted my Brother who was not a fan. But after the last two albums i'd " Switched off" to them, but if they are touring the old stuff from Asleep at the back and A cast of Thousands, then i'd be really keen to see that live, as Glastonbury regulars i wonder if they might do a set of the old stuff?

• Replies 368
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah thought it was a pisstake initially but loads of people love them! Bizarrely.

:) , i can see how people would think so! To be honest i am tired of them... but the old stuff IMO is briliiant and as said i'd love to here it live, but if they bring our " one day like this " again i might throw up, or go to the extreme of slitting my wrists!

... fugitive Motel sounded great as well

I am interested about Powder Blie though, I might be wrong but I only think they played that at the first gig and not since. If it still sounded great then they wouldn't surely have dropped it, it's probably one of their greatest, and most missed songs. They seem to be playing Newborn, Any day now and Fugitive Motel at all the gigs as far as I can tell

No Scattered Black and Whites either, although they have been playing that occasionally during the last few tours anyway

They did this on one of their other tours too, played powder blue at one of the first gigs then never played it again. I can only imagine they are never happy with how it turns out. I dont think guy garveys vocals are up to it. I'd like to hear a recording of the version they did this tour to find out.

I suspect a majority of their crowd now got in to the band after seldom seen kid, so I wonder how well it is received nowadays. People probably think it's a new song!

I'm glad I didnt get tickets for this tour. Far too much new stuff, but why wouldnt there be? They are no doubt proud of their recent work and probably think it's the best stuff they've ever done. It would make no sense to drop it in favour of old stuff that they toured to death a decade ago.

They did this on one of their other tours too, played powder blue at one of the first gigs then never played it again. I can only imagine they are never happy with how it turns out. I dont think guy garveys vocals are up to it. I'd like to hear a recording of the version they did this tour to find out.

I suspect a majority of their crowd now got in to the band after seldom seen kid, so I wonder how well it is received nowadays. People probably think it's a new song!

I'm glad I didnt get tickets for this tour. Far too much new stuff, but why wouldnt there be? They are no doubt proud of their recent work and probably think it's the best stuff they've ever done. It would make no sense to drop it in favour of old stuff that they toured to death a decade ago.

Completely agree that Guys vocal aren't up to doing Powder Blue and Newborn these days, as i've said last year deep back in this thread, still love to see it though, although i don't agree that their latest effort is the best they've done, but that's just taste i guess.

Completely agree that Guys vocal aren't up to doing Powder Blue and Newborn these days, as i've said last year deep back in this thread, still love to see it though, although i don't agree that their latest effort is the best they've done, but that's just taste i guess.

just to clarify, I dont think the latest effort is the best they've done, I mean I think the band probably think it is!

Edited by russycarps

They're an intersting band in many ways, not least because, as is relevant to this forum, they can be described as dull, boring whatever, but it would be a tough job to convince people thta they are actually, you know, like 'shit'

They're an intersting band in many ways, not least because, as is relevant to this forum, they can be described as dull, boring whatever, but it would be a tough job to convince people thta they are actually, you know, like 'shit'

No they're not and they seem like decent blokes but I struggle to keep my eyelids from dropping any time I hear them or see their name in print.

Neil - Can we please get some more lineup news? Make it up if you have to. Its got to the stage now where people are digging up last years Elbow thread. Really, really desperate times.

No they're not and they seem like decent blokes but I struggle to keep my eyelids from dropping any time I hear them or see their name in print.

Neil - Can we please get some more lineup news? Make it up if you have to. Its got to the stage now where people are digging up last years Elbow thread. Really, really desperate times.

Yep, i had to laugh at that :) , we really do need some news don't we.

Like most bands/artists who have nearly 2 decades worth of tunes and and about 6 albums Elbow suffer from the "not as good as they used to be" lark.

Its unfortunate, but it happens to most bands/artists that have been around for so long. They either dont reinvent themselves and so dont feel/sound relevant, or they reinvent themselves and "they are not like they used to be".

It can be a tricky catch 22 in some ways.

Over their body of work there is without doubt IMO a set list I could pick that would be utterly stupendous. It would most likely be "early stuff" heavy, but not exclusive. That is not only because I perceive those tunes to be better, but there is also the added nostalgia of those tunes and the fact that it was them that made me like the band in the first place, giving those tunes even more gravitas

I however dont get to pick setlists and so my dream setlist for them (or any band/artist) is simply just that or a playlist on my phone.

Like most bands/artists who have nearly 2 decades worth of tunes and and about 6 albums Elbow suffer from the "not as good as they used to be" lark.

Its unfortunate, but it happens to most bands/artists that have been around for so long. They either dont reinvent themselves and so dont feel/sound relevant, or they reinvent themselves and "they are not like they used to be".

It can be a tricky catch 22 in some ways.

Over their body of work there is without doubt IMO a set list I could pick that would be utterly stupendous. It would most likely be "early stuff" heavy, but not exclusive. That is not only because I perceive those tunes to be better, but there is also the added nostalgia of those tunes and the fact that it was them that made me like the band in the first place, giving those tunes even more gravitas

I however dont get to pick setlists and so my dream setlist for them (or any band/artist) is simply just that or a playlist on my phone.

it's funny though, because as soon as they "werent as good as they used to be" they started subbing glastonbury and selling our arenas.

Whereas when they were "good" they were playing half way down the other stage and not even selling out academies.......

it's just more proof that the general masses are thickos!

Also proof that the Beeb ruin things!

ODLT is the tune to turn it about for Elbow and its the likes of the Beeb that played it in every montage going, for about 2 years or so, and we still see/hear it today in certain circumstances.

Such exposure peaks the interest in the masses and BOOM.............what you once loved begins to crumble in the hands of the general public.

Now your Mum and Granny are getting you to download/burn Seldom Seen Kid for them and they look at the TV at the end of June and think "Oh how colorful it all is"................ I wonder if Glastonbury should be on my bucket list.............

Also proof that the Beeb ruin things!

ODLT is the tune to turn it about for Elbow and its the likes of the Beeb that played it in every montage going, for about 2 years or so, and we still see/hear it today in certain circumstances.

Such exposure peaks the interest in the masses and BOOM.............what you once loved begins to crumble in the hands of the general public.

Now your Mum and Granny are getting you to download/burn Seldom Seen Kid for them and they look at the TV at the end of June and think "Oh how colorful it all is"................ I wonder if Glastonbury should be on my bucket list.............

You've cracked it: one day like this broke glastonbury!

You've cracked it: one day like this broke glastonbury!

:lol: You may be right!

People blame Jay Z playing in 2008 (Saturday June 28th) for changing the fest for the worse and allowing it to slide into a quagmire of populist drivel, but it was in fact Sat June the 28th 2008 when Elbow first played ODLT at Glastonbury! (this is actually 100% true as far as I can make out) It obviously broke there and then!................or was it when they played it again in the Queens Head that very same year................Maybe it was the second time in quick succession that did it! The fest just couldn't handle it

yup. this always happens. Everyone hated Tonight's the Noght when Neil Young toured it. Nowadays, songs off that album would go down a treat.

That because the album wasn't even released at the time! And people were expecting songs from Harvest.

*plays the entire Tonights the Night album*

*crowd cheer and boo*

"OK you'll know this one"

*crowd cheer*

*plays Tonights the Night again*

OK bad example. (But I love him for stuff like that - probably wouldn't have done if I'd forked out for a ticket).

But it's always the same. New stuff is never as popular as the classics. And if you're around for ever, your new stuff becomes the classics. (Sometimes).

there are some exceptions though. Nick cave and radiohead spring to mind.