The Elbow Excitement Thread!

ThomThomDrum

They could headline (though i'd expect them to be the smaller of the three headliners) or they could be one of th2 stronger subs/other headliner- a lot depends on how their new album goes down. Unless it's a big success there's a real danger that 2011 was their peak (one day like this in the sunshine before it was grossly overplayed) and any pyramid headline set could unclimactic.

If arcade fire are one of the headliners and elbow the second i'd hope for a very different and huge third act.

• Replies 368
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

They could headline (though i'd expect them to be the smaller of the three headliners) or they could be one of th2 stronger subs/other headliner- a lot depends on how their new album goes down. Unless it's a big success there's a real danger that 2011 was their peak (one day like this in the sunshine before it was grossly overplayed) and any pyramid headline set could unclimactic.

If arcade fire are one of the headliners and elbow the second i'd hope for a very different and huge third act.

this is my view as well. whilst Glastonbury has always been one for giving a band (or even two) a leg up, the combo of Arcade Fire and Elbow as two of the headliners would need something pretty fucking special as the third headliner to stop the lineup (well, headliners) looking very weak. i can't see Elbow returning as a sub again... they seem to have crossed that line now and the new album will no doubt do well

this is my view as well. whilst Glastonbury has always been one for giving a band (or even two) a leg up

is that actually true, since 2000 there's maybe

mumfords this year

arctic monkeys 2007

muse 2004

what else?

If what you say is true, elbow should have headlined when seldom seen kid was released, and arcade fire should have headlined after neon bible or the suburbs

mumfords this year

arctic monkeys 2007

muse 2004

what else?

I think people would say Kings of Leon to.

It happens occasionally as they have to eventually take a punt but its normally a well considered punt.

As for Elbow meh, dull but a year or two with smaller headliners to ease ticket congestion I'll take it. (Hell i wouldn't mind if they just stopped with the superstars all together.)

Plus as dull as I think most of their set will be for me, they deserve it. They are hard working act, who have worked their way up. Guy Garvey always comes across as a decent bloke and seems to have a genuine love for the festival.

mumfords this year

arctic monkeys 2007

muse 2004

what else?

If what you say is true, elbow should have headlined when seldom seen kid was released, and arcade fire should have headlined after neon bible or the suburbs

hmm for some reason i always think KOL and Arctics headlined the same year when they didn't. well maybe Glastonbury isn't as known for giving bands a punt as i'd thought then (but i do think, in terms of Glastonbury - the biggest / best / whatever festival in the world - even Arcade Fire this year, or, yeah, Elbow, would be considered a 'punt' of sorts considering the ridiculous expectations people have of the headliners)

well maybe Glastonbury isn't as known for giving bands a punt as i'd thought then

In more recent years I'd say that the opportunity for Glasto to give upcoming bands their first headline slot has been reduced, because of a greater focus on 'heritage acts', and the greater acceptance by those biggest acts of taking festival bookings.

PS: Jay-Z was missed from that list.

Edited by eFestivals

I personally hope not.

If it's Arcade Fire and Elbow as the other headliners, it'll be underwhelming.

I just don't get the hype? Someone compared it to Mumford & Sons, but at least Mumford were (rightly or not) selling out Arena's, whereas Elbow are seriously struggling to sell theirs out. Subheadliners, yes, headliners? No.

Everyone moans at Kasabian for headlining whatever they can, name a festival elbow haven't subheadlined in the last 4 years, i'm sure you'll struggle. Glastonbury, V, Reading and Leeds, T in The Park, Isle of Wight are some of the 'big' ones. Uninspiring.

Rant over, you can go back to your loving of Elbow :P

I personally hope not.

If it's Arcade Fire and Elbow as the other headliners, it'll be underwhelming.

I just don't get the hype? Someone compared it to Mumford & Sons, but at least Mumford were (rightly or not) selling out Arena's, whereas Elbow are seriously struggling to sell theirs out. Subheadliners, yes, headliners? No.

Everyone moans at Kasabian for headlining whatever they can, name a festival elbow haven't subheadlined in the last 4 years, i'm sure you'll struggle. Glastonbury, V, Reading and Leeds, T in The Park, Isle of Wight are some of the 'big' ones. Uninspiring.

Rant over, you can go back to your loving of Elbow :P

Agreed, the bore the hell out of me & Guy Garvey has one of them annoying hamster-like faces.

Missed Elbow for Pulp last time which was probably a good decision. I like Elbow as they same a decent, talented bunch of down to earth guys but can't seem to really get in to there latest stuff. Were great in the Queens head in a few years back in a smaller setting but not sure if they could pull of Pyramid Headliner. Deserve a shot I guess though.

Missed Elbow for Pulp last time which was probably a good decision. I like Elbow as they same a decent, talented bunch of down to earth guys but can't seem to really get in to there latest stuff. Were great in the Queens head in a few years back in a smaller setting but not sure if they could pull of Pyramid Headliner. Deserve a shot I guess though.

Never seen the independent woman video. Very amusing

you were at the front for nick cave. Do you think those c**ts that were all around you have the first idea who or what ziggy stardust is?

The pyramid crowd is FULL of those c**ts.

Yeah, that's why not getting a ticket stings so much, NFiR NFC provides us with justice though.

• 1 month later...

very nice indeed. I'll be at the Liverpool gig in April and hopefully seeing them at the festival.

i love the connection the band make with the crowd at their gigs they really make you feel part of it.

even when sometimes you feel like your doing an aerobics session for bingo wings.

"HANDS EVERYONE" shouts Mr Garvey.

I like a lot ! though really have to listen at home.... no bass as such on my PC at work, certainly seems like a return to the old format. I will be very interested to hear the new album if this is anything to go by. And if they are announced as the Saturday headliners i will no doubt be there to watch. It may not excite some on these boards but i have alot of love for the band, i feel i have grown with them from the early days even though i only really got into them on leaders . As i have banged on about i love the old stuff more really but this looks a good omen.