The Elbow Excitement Thread!

ThomThomDrum

• Replies 368
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

it's alright that. But like all elbow songs, it's just that bit too 'nice' and well mannered to really grab me by the bollocks and make me want to tell my gaffer to shove his job up is arse because I'm going to spend my life followng this band around.

If they were a girlfriend, they'd be someone who worked in a charity shop two afternoons a week, made a good lemon drizzle cake and never, ever, engaged in drug fuelled dirty animalistic sex.

To be honest, as am elbow obsessive, I'm a tad disappointed. I have very high expectations for a new Elbow song/album

My problem is, they are sticking two songs together, but neither of which really stands out. Neither half really goes anywhere in my opinion, yeah it's still a good song and is better than most stuff out there at the moment.... But then as soon as I switch YouTube off, I simply can't think what each part of the song sounded like.

Please note I have very high expectations of Elbow having loved them for over 10 years, and having affected me emotionally more than any band during that period. It's still a good song, better than most things out there at the moment, I just can't see this song sticking out in years to come

... Need to have another few listens I think

Edited by dingbat2

it's alright that. But like all elbow songs, it's just that bit too 'nice' and well mannered to really grab me by the bollocks and make me want to tell my gaffer to shove his job up is arse because I'm going to spend my life followng this band around.

If they were a girlfriend, they'd be someone who worked in a charity shop two afternoons a week, made a good lemon drizzle cake and never, ever, engaged in drug fuelled dirty animalistic sex.

Yep. In other words, perfect for the pyramid on a sunday in the sun. Or Park headliner. But not pyramid headliner for me.

Very funny, made me laugh that. I know what you mean about Elbow..... but i still like em. I like all tastes and though i like Lemon drizzle cake and used to dabble in the later i now sit in the position that i can't have lemon drizzle cake due to having to miss out on Dairy and struggle with the anamlistic sex due to having to many drugs some time ago!

Mhmm. Its ace.

Whilst theres nothing of the charity-shop-deviant about it Mardy, all music can't be that can it?

The "too nice" criticism never made sense to me. Unless you're so polarised in your tastes that theres no place for anything other than one style or one "feel" from a record. Which, knowing Mardy a bit, belies a man of both crystaline and amorphous dimension.

:D

I'm sure I read somewhere talk talk are his favourite band.

"Mark Hollis started from punk and by his own admission he had no musical ability. To go from only having the urge, to writing some of the most timeless, intricate and original music ever is as impressive as the moon landings for me."

• 2 weeks later...

Mhmm. Its ace.

Whilst theres nothing of the charity-shop-deviant about it Mardy, all music can't be that can it?

The "too nice" criticism never made sense to me. Unless you're so polarised in your tastes that theres no place for anything other than one style or one "feel" from a record. Which, knowing Mardy a bit, belies a man of both crystaline and amorphous dimension.

:D

Ahaha, you make me blush, or you would I think if i understood what you were saying.

Yeah, I understand that I shouldn't really have used 'nice', it was a bit lazy of me. Some of their stuff I can like, but never truly love. You know I don't have much time for faux music rebellion or alpha male singers or any of that cobblers, I mean, I guess a band that you fall in love with, to the exclusion of all others for that period of time.

Music that you have to stop what you're doing and put the record on now. Talk Talk are a great example, they're something, well someone, I'm intensely passionate about, that move me, that I would give up 99% of all other music to hear something else from him. Something that inspires awe and devotion and bewilderment in me, how can something so incredible exist. I never get that with Elbow.

I'd be wrong, and churlish to say they're crap or whatever. Clearly they're not, but I'm never going to dash in from work and still in my coat and hat and shoes, slap an elbow record on 'cos it's been burning in my guts and my brain all afternoon and NEED to hear it. Before I even have that 'get home from work' piss.

I think theres an alternate universe where Elbow are the underdog indie darlings that never made good but are venerated and adored by clued-in culturistas the world over.

...and Talk Talk are the bloated has-beens whose every attempt at cathartic expression is met with tuttututs liable to cause a rockslide.

- - -

For the "type" of band Elbow are - big heart, small ego - theyre always liable to be picked off or pencilled as being weak-tea/dull/bland etc etc.

If I was Garvey I'd pick a fight with someone. Anyone. People would be wearing down the path to see 'em then.

I think theres an alternate universe where Elbow are the underdog indie darlings that never made good but are venerated and adored by clued-in culturistas the world over.

...and Talk Talk are the bloated has-beens whose every attempt at cathartic expression is met with tuttututs liable to cause a rockslide.

- - -

For the "type" of band Elbow are - big heart, small ego - theyre always liable to be picked off or pencilled as being weak-tea/dull/bland etc etc.

If I was Garvey I'd pick a fight with someone. Anyone. People would be wearing down the path to see 'em then.

in fairness most people are saying they arent right for a headline slot, rather than they are a load of shit (with one or two exceptions :P)