The Elbow Excitement Thread!

ThomThomDrum

• Replies 368
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That is a fair summary of Elbow as they were in 2007. Then they released Seldom Seen Kid and it all changed

Popularity ruins a certain type of indie band. Their earnestness becomes cloying.

This forum's faces would be kvelling over them constantly if that record in particular had remained niche. Did the masses that bought it really appreciate the subtlety within? How "proggy" it is?

Don't think so.

Popularity ruins a certain type of indie band. Their earnestness becomes cloying.

This forum's faces would be kvelling over them constantly if that record in particular had remained niche. Did the masses that bought it really appreciate the subtlety within? How "proggy" it is?

Don't think so.

one day like this killed that album for many people I guess. The first time I heard it I hated it. It lacks all subtlety.

Tower crane driver and some riot are the peaks for me

you see, I think Build a rocket Boys is way better than the Seldom Seen Kid.

but yeah, they carved out a niche for themselves as heroic, romantic losers, that's what lots of their lyrics were about, and then they become successful. Reminiscent of Pulp in many ways. Elbow need to split for 10 years, that's the answer.

one day like this killed that album for many people I guess. The first time I heard it I hated it. It lacks all subtlety.

Tower crane driver and some riot are the peaks for me

It wasnt really the album that changed things, it was that one song, One Day like This, that changed things completely. Take that song out of the equation and they would be in the same place as before the Seldom Seen Kid, few people would have ever heard of them

I actually love the Seldom Seen Kid, I don't thing there's really a dud song in there (apart from when Hawley joins in in my opinion!) I love Tower crane Driver, Some Riot, Mirrowball, Starlings and Weather to Fly, great songs. Dare I say it, I actually prefer it to LOTFW and the albums before, because I think the other albums have some great songs, but also a few duds in each of them. SSK is consistently good. Just my opinion of course!

It wasnt really the album that changed things, it was that one song, One Day like This, that changed things completely. Take that song out of the equation and they would be in the same place as before the Seldom Seen Kid, few people would have ever heard of them

I actually love the Seldom Seen Kid, I don't thing there's really a dud song in there (apart from when Hawley joins in in my opinion!) I love Tower crane Driver, Some Riot, Mirrowball, Starlings and Weather to Fly, great songs. Dare I say it, I actually prefer it to LOTFW and the albums before, because I think the other albums have some great songs, but also a few duds in each of them. SSK is consistently good. Just my opinion of course!

Yeh you've nailed it there I think. That one song broke the band! I still cant get my head round them playing arenas. All due to one song. Amazing really.

Take that song off the album and we'd all be on here wondering if they will play 3 down on the other stage this year probably.

Even Creep didnt define a band this much.

Edited by russycarps

Yeh you've nailed it there I think. That one song broke the band! I still cant get my head round them playing arenas. All due to one song. Amazing really.

Take that song off the album and we'd all be on here wondering if they will play 3 down on the other stage this year probably.

Even Creep didnt define a band this much.

And the sad thing is they've made a lot of great music before that. Fair chance a lot of people probably haven't even had a listen to the first few albums.

And the sad thing is they've made a lot of great music before that. Fair chance a lot of people probably haven't even had a listen to the first few albums.

even if they did they'd probably hate it, cant see someone who got into the band due to one day like this liking something like scattered black and whites

Do we reckon they will play some of the older songs at Glastonbury? Scattered Black & Whites, Powder Blue, Fugitive Motel, etc ... ?

Unless they headline, no (and even then I'd feel lucky to get one of those). I don't think there was anything pre SSK in their 2011 set when they subbed Coldplay (maybe Station Approach? I can't remember)

Unless they headline, no (and even then I'd feel lucky to get one of those). I don't think there was anything pre SSK in their 2011 set when they subbed Coldplay (maybe Station Approach? I can't remember)

Relatively certain that they did Newborn (dedicated to Emily Eavis and Son) but Setlist.fm disagrees with me....

Relatively certain that they did Newborn (dedicated to Emily Eavis and Son) but Setlist.fm disagrees with me....

wow just looked at that setlist, that's incredible. Not a single song before SSK!

Someone on here the other week was saying they didnt think Guy is able to sing newborn or powder blue anymore.

wow just looked at that setlist, that's incredible. Not a single song before SSK!

Someone on here the other week was saying they didnt think Guy is able to sing newborn or powder blue anymore.

Have confered with other half who shares the memory, either setlist.fm is wrong or we having a collective delusion. Both are highly possible.

As an aside they did a few older ones at Jodrell Bank, including a cracking version of Scattered Black and Whites.

Ahem...

I was aware of Elbow before. I had Newborn on a Q compilation and rather liked it but there was too much exciting new music and catching up with old music so I never got the chance to follow it up. Then One Day Like This came out. I adored it from the first time I heard it. Loved SSK. Got the back cat and love all of that too (although the first album's a bit one-dimensional).

Now they are one of my favourite bands. All because of that one song. No doubt there are some who would go to a festival set just to hear it but I'm sure that's not true of all newer Elbow fans. It's not my favourite song but I wouldn't be without it because without it I probably would be without Elbow and my life would be much poorer for it.

And I always think it's kinda sad when people begrudge a band the success they deserve just because they'd rather watch them in a dingy pub than an arena. Rather selfish.

Ahem...

I was aware of Elbow before. I had Newborn on a Q compilation and rather liked it but there was too much exciting new music and catching up with old music so I never got the chance to follow it up. Then One Day Like This came out. I adored it from the first time I heard it. Loved SSK. Got the back cat and love all of that too (although the first album's a bit one-dimensional).

Now they are one of my favourite bands. All because of that one song. No doubt there are some who would go to a festival set just to hear it but I'm sure that's not true of all newer Elbow fans. It's not my favourite song but I wouldn't be without it because without it I probably would be without Elbow and my life would be much poorer for it.

And I always think it's kinda sad when people begrudge a band the success they deserve just because they'd rather watch them in a dingy pub than an arena. Rather selfish.

eh?

I think people in this thread wish they'd got the success they deserve because of their first three albums, rather than one day like this.

No one begrudges them their arena success do they? I wish they had got there thanks to new born or powder blue, rather than one day is all. Better songs.

Its sad that they have turned their back on 3 albums worth of great stuff. That's my beef. Not a single song off them played in 2011 is a slap in the face of older fans

eh?

I think people in this thread wish they'd got the success they deserve because of their first three albums, rather than one day like this.

No one begrudges them their arena success do they? I wish they had got there thanks to new born or powder blue, rather than one day is all. Better songs.

Its sad that they have turned their back on 3 albums worth of great stuff. That's my beef. Not a single song off them played in 2011 is a slap in the face of older fans

To be fair they still throw in the odd older one at their own shows. They played Fugitive Motel and Grace Under Pressure last time I saw them. The thing that really annoys me is the people who just go to hear One Day Like This and then talk during the more obscure ones. I don't have a problem with people going to see a band just for a couple of songs - I've done it myself - but at least have the decency to shut up so people who actually want to hear the rest of it can do.

even if they did they'd probably hate it, cant see someone who got into the band due to one day like this liking something like scattered black and whites

Don't be daft, just because it's over exposed and played on ITV at cloying emotional moments, doesn't mean it's not a good song.

Go back and really *listen* to it, those strings are actually really subtle and beautiful. Elbow were never really on my radar before they made it big and this song drew me in, so I could appreciate their larger body of work.

And I think Scattered Black And Whites is frigging transcendental.

Edited by stuartbert two hats

Have confered with other half who shares the memory, either setlist.fm is wrong or we having a collective delusion. Both are highly possible.

As an aside they did a few older ones at Jodrell Bank, including a cracking version of Scattered Black and Whites.

I've never seen fireworks float like that. Wonderful.

Pretty good set list on here I'd say. Fugitive Motel, Leaders Of The Free World, Station Approach are thrown in. I'm one of those who agrees that SSK is their strongest album, so I'm glad it's well represented.

http://www.setlist.fm/setlist/elbow/2012/jodrell-bank-macclesfield-england-23df0c3f.html

Definitely leaders of the free world from what I remember? And as said, maybe station approach. This was after a skinful of every drink going though so I may be wrong. Thought they were quality though before Coldplay!

Don't be daft, just because it's over exposed and played on ITV at cloying emotional moments, doesn't mean it's not a good song.

Go back and really *listen* to it, those strings are actually really subtle and beautiful. Elbow were never really on my radar before they made it big and this song drew me in, so I could appreciate their larger body of work.

And I think Scattered Black And Whites is frigging transcendental.

I suspect you are the exception rather than the norm.

one day like this is subtle though??? what am I reading??

I'll admit though it's not as bad as open arms. That song is an abomination. "specifically written for arenas". How depressing.