Security taking money to let people in

Guest tonyblair

I've often wondered how you'd get on if you stripped off, greased yourself up and just ran at the gates as fast as you could.

I kept thinking about it this year whilst queuing to get through gate c. If you can strip off as late as possible to the wrist band checks I'd think you'll have a good chance. Most of the security we're hanging about grabbing people for searches rather than looking for greased up naked people running like hell at the wide isle.

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

For such a large scale operation news of the above doesnt surprise me, there are always a few bad eggs.

I stayed outside the festival this year so had to enter gate D everyday, security on that was very tight. Ticket / wristband checked 3 times each time I entered. Even got questioned by one chap who thought the picture on my ticket didnt look like me - luckily I had my driving license on me to clear that up!

Edited by Mud Dweller

I could see this, tbh. It is a possible solution to a number of problems and we all know that ME has looked at the tech in action on a number of occasions.

I would be interested to hear estimated numbers of gatecrashers this year. I've been quietly aware of a slowly rising number over the last couple of festivals but this year seems to have been a bit of a watershed and the first noticeable example since 2000.

I have to confess, having been a fencejumper in years gone by I have idly considered paying for a ticket but still trying to get in the old way just for the challenge.

It's a problem. Reports from various people confirm proper crushes at pinch points some of which went on for over an hour and there seems to have been a blip in organised tent robbery. I think we'll see something said or done

Edited by frostypaw

They don't need to all be at the same place, they run at very near capacity so it doesn't take much to tip it now and then across the site.

I still think the population was right before the last increase in 09 I think it was. Since then the Babylon area has become just constantly manic and the smaller venues and fields regularly attract over capacity crowds - that used to be a real rarity and the added queuing really detracts. Never used to queue

It's a problem. Reports from various people confirm proper crushes at pinch points some of which went on for over an hour and there seems to have been a blip in organised tent robbery. I think we'll see something said or done

Stop being a bunch of sour pusses. Who cares if some extra people were a bit thrifty and went the extra mile to get in.

Based on how much of an awesome time you all had, isn't it understandable that some folks might go to those lengths?

I very much doubt it directly effected your enjoyment of the festival in a negative way. Jeez

Another one of those arguments the centres around whether you want the free-spirited 'true' Glastonbury ethos/experience or whether you want things to be fair and abiding by the terms of the license.

Edited by mrtourette

If the stories of Security bussing people in for a couple of hundred quid are true,it is very much of concern to us attendees.

It's nothing to do with "Glasto Spirit" as they are not getting in free. I suppose in the spirit of Robin Hood and other slightly dodgy geezers and chancers that litter the English tradition we can admire and enjoy those who pole vault, tunnel, hang glide or sky dive their way into the festival. Spilling three hundred knicker into the hands of a dodgy security guard endangers the festival going forward as it risks the future of the festival. Even if it is only that the council limits the number of legitimate tickets sold to take account of a percentage "leakage" through the security.

Of course it's probably just so much bollocks and/or bullshit.