The "I had a great time" thread

Guest efcfanwirral

...just to balance out the inevitable negative reviews of the weekend (chavs, idiots, etc), lets have a thread about positivity.

I went to Weston and had a great weekend, for the first time did the full weekend and didn't camp which was a different experience, but absolutely loved it. I've been every year since 2004 apart from 2007 in some capacity and music-wise this was one of the best I've seen. I know it gets criticised for being too "pop", but if you are into guitar (indie?) bands like me with a little bit of pop music here and there you can fill a weekend and have a great time.

Yes I can see why people complain about some of the crowd, and I wouldn't go to see someone like Rudimental as I know what I'd find there though I do like them (the gangster stuff is what i dont like). In most cases, the "idiots" are just young people having fun with their friends. And sometimes I feel some of the slagging off of them is jealousy of that fact (im 26 now and it certainly will be with me in a few years time). Yeah there will be some scumbags, and some fights, but I used to go to see Oasis and live in Manchester, and its just the same at gigs here all the time so V isn't unique.

I think V is what you make of it, and the "alternative" lineup is consistently brilliant for me. Obviously those with very discerning music tastes where everything has to be full of "artistic merit" and "soul" would be completely out of place and would hate it, but if you like reasonably popular music that can be heard on Radio 1, Absolute or XFM then you can pretty much make a fun weekend out of it each year.

Nice mix of music I saw below, and the only clashes i was bothered about were Pigeon Detectives/Fratellis and Two Door/Of Monsters and Men. Would have been nice to see some different stuff (Calvin Harris looked fun on TV highlights, though was better when he played live in 2010) but hey there are always other festivals

Sat

Scouting for Girls

Reverend and the Makers

Jason Mraz (terrible - lost on the big stage and too many covers)

Everything Everything (fantastic, very impressed)

The Vaccines

a bit of Maximo Park

Stereophonics (one of my all time favourites, thought the new stuff sounded great but as they played so much of it may not go to the gig in November now....so its had the opposite effect to what it should do)

Kings of Leon (great stuff - HATED the 2010 set but really enjoyed this time. So many great tracks)

Sun

Fratellis

Gabrielle Aplin (her voice is incredible. Discovery of the weekend for me, recognised all the songs and that Power of Love cover was beautiful.)

James (right down near the front and great set)

Paloma Faith (one of the curveballs in my music collection - absolutely love both albums and the first time I've seen her Picking up the Pieces was a great festival anthem. Only criticism is only one song from her first album, but the new stuff does sound incredible)

Two Door Cinema Club (crowd was the best out of the times I've seen them - the party atmosphere is what I like about V)

Travis (emotional "moment" sort of gig for the band it seemed, that bit where the crowd kept on applauding them after FLowers in the Window was great. Singalongs were immense)

Fun (brother wanted to see them but I went and got a pizza and sat at the back. Utter tosh really. The singles are pleasent enough though. Perfect example of a band too high on the bill based on one song. Guaranteed Bastille will take on that mantle next year.)

Courteeners (seen them many many times before. Never fail to deliver, great fun and great crowd)

Ocean Colour Scene (wasn't sure what size crowd they would get, but the atmosphere was electric in there. Another favourite so ended a great weekend)

The only issue I had was the queues to get out the pick up/drop off point last night. Poor organisation meant it took a good 2.5 hours to get out of that area.

Other than that cold beers, good weather and great food (the burritos from V Healthy and the wood fired pizza at the top of the 4 music field get special mentions)

So, who else wants to leave the inevitable negativity aside and just come and talk about what a brilliant time you had?

Edited by efcfanwirral

• Replies 120
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Travis were brilliant and a highlight for me along with Stereophonics - but thats another story that I will post later on - enough to say that watching from backstage was a festival highlight for me in 20 years of festivalling and totally random :-)

Edited by Pothuthic

This is how I try to describe it to people, but it's usually still a 'pop/chat' festival in everyone's eyes.

I do Glastonbury and V, Glasto is not about the music for me, crowd is usually flat. I like the chilled out vibe, but I do really like the jump around/singalong party atmosphere which you get much more of at V.

I was the first one to bring up the negativity of the crowd on another thread.

Just want to point out this in no way stopped me from having a fantastic weekend with great fans and seeing some great bands.

It was more an observation on the majority of the clientele of V these days than an overall generalisation!