West Holts

Supernintendo Chalmers

• Replies 870
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm sure this will never happen now, but I'm curious to know if Chuck Berry ever played Glastonbury? And if so, did anyone here see him?

I stood beside him before he started a gig in a club in Letterkenny last time he was round here. Surprisingly tall.

Glasto HQ need to get him, Jerry Lee and Little Richard over.

Chucks autobio is a great read.

Wow! Anyone for a dance???

**Edit

That's a shame if unsurprising

Edited by Osama Jim Laden

I haven't checked what he's up to lately, but I suspect he won't be touring this year as he's been touring last year.

Perhaps next year.

From the last i looked i think he hasn't got any dates planned for this year as of yet so i wouldn't imagine seeing him, gutting really.

Speaking of tom waits, I have someone asking me for tom waits album recommendations. They only song they know is jersey girl! (I assume they will know more when they hear them...)

what's the consensus on the top 3 albums for newcomers on here these days?

heart attack, blue valentine, swordfishm rain dogs? Or should I throw something like alice out there?

help!

Don't go swordfish first - too weird in parts if you're not familiar with him! Heart attack has Jersey girl and was one of my first. I'd say Rain Dogs, Small Change and Heart attack as a first three (in any order) followed by Blue Valentine and/orMule variations.

The Nal always reckons start at the beginning and work chronologically but I disagree. I think his first album is a bit more generic than his others and for me personally I'm glad I heard some of his later stuff before that and heart of Saturday night. Both are ace, mind.

Mardy is right. Start with Closing Time and move forward from there. Waits is someone you need to "get". Much like Dylan, Neiler, Cave etc. You need to understand what came before to understand what comes after.

Its like suggested that someone should watch The Godfather Part II before the first film. Or Empire before A New Hope.

Picked up Closing Time on vinyl over Xmas. Just incredible.

Martha. Man! If he ever played Glasto there would be punters blubbering like battered walruses all over the place. Same for Old Shoes.

Or maybe the "Bawlers" disc from Orphans: Brawlers, Bawlers and Bastards? Some real nice stuff on there.

Just saw his setlist from that Bridge School benefit and this was on it as a "maybe" but they ran out of time! :suicide:

Either way though I like the "3 album" approach!

Can someone in West Holtsland get the man on the phone?! For fucks sake.

Edited by The Nal

the heart of saturdey night is also bloody great. I'm not so keen on the later percussive ones, where he's growling over the sound of him building a shed or something. I'm all about melody and sentiment