West Holts

Supernintendo Chalmers

• Replies 870
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Tom Waits is so hard to cut down into a list of recommendations because he's got so many different styles. A friend of mine asked me to recommend some albums and I lent him about 7.

I made my fiancee a CD for her car (which took me days and days to whittle down but still misses some classics)

Lucky Day

Starving in the Belly of a Whale

Kentucky Avenue

Goin' Out West

Foreign Affair

Cold Cold Ground

New Coat of Paint

On the Nickel

Jersey Girl

Hold On

Walk Away

Little Drop of Poison

Never Let Go

Jockey Full of Bourbon

Anywhere I Lay My Head

Tom Traubert's Blues

Johnsburg, Illinois

Take it With Me

Come On Up to the House

I love the one-two of Take it With Me and Come On Up to the House that closes Mule Variations, the way that one sounds like dying and then the other like resurrection. I'd want both of them played at my funeral.

Tom Waits is so hard to cut down into a list of recommendations because he's got so many different styles. A friend of mine asked me to recommend some albums and I lent him about 7.

I made my fiancee a CD for her car (which took me days and days to whittle down but still misses some classics)

Lucky Day

Starving in the Belly of a Whale

Kentucky Avenue

Goin' Out West

Foreign Affair

Cold Cold Ground

New Coat of Paint

On the Nickel

Jersey Girl

Hold On

Walk Away

Little Drop of Poison

Never Let Go

Jockey Full of Bourbon

Anywhere I Lay My Head

Tom Traubert's Blues

Johnsburg, Illinois

Take it With Me

Come On Up to the House

I love the one-two of Take it With Me and Come On Up to the House that closes Mule Variations, the way that one sounds like dying and then the other like resurrection. I'd want both of them played at my funeral.

it was hard enough whittling it down to 3 albums, let alone to a 15 song mix tape!!

I take it your first dance will be to jersey girl?

You are so so lucky. My wife won't give him the time of day. Car journeys compromise on other stuff.

I take back what I said and thought about Tom Waits not generating much interest if he played. It's occurred to me that if he did play any festival, Glastonbury is big enough for there to be enough interest, and it would be amazing.

So is it confirmed yet? Jeff Beck, followed by ZZ Top (with Jeff joining in), topped off by Tom Waits?

There is plenty of interest, and plenty of people going major ape (inc me) if he played anywhere nevermind Glastonbury. He's not toured in the UK since 2008.

it was hard enough whittling it down to 3 albums, let alone to a 15 song mix tape!!

Agreed, respect on spending the time whittling it down, but as the girls are off to their dad's tonight and Mrs Carlosj's out, you all make me want to listen to the back catalogue tonight. oooohh the hip things I do after giving the cat its eye drops.

or England since 2004 (which is when I saw him)

speaking of Sir Jeffrey, he could have a guest spot with just about any and everyone

just sublime... and Sharon is rather sweet, and almost overcome seemingly.

Sorry, didn't mean to sound like I was having a righteous pop at you.

Is Sharon the violinist out of the Corrs?

Is this still West Holts we're talking about? Waits could maybe squeeze in at a push, but ZZ Top don't really tick the "global future roots music" box.

Either did John Fogerty! But he headlined.

oh... one proviso. If Tom plays, (are you listening?) please please, pretty please, bring Marc Ribot with you

and sir Keith can come too

Oh yes.

We're kidding ourselves here though. Theres no chance hes playing Glastonbury. Literally none. Don't think hes ever done a festival?

Edited by The Nal

The stage has changed a bit since John Fogerty played, mind.

I'm not saying there's no room on the West Holts bill for the odd 'white man playing the blues', yer Dr John's and yer Seasick Steve's and whatnot, but given that the rest of the fest is dominated by rock music West Holts should (and seems to be) striving to be a bit more diverse than that.

Either did John Fogerty! But he headlined.

Oh yes.

We're kidding ourselves here though. Theres no chance hes playing Glastonbury. Literally none. Don't think hes ever done a festival?

Yes, I want my dream too, but I agree. I have read somewhere about how his years of shit gigs, and struggling have made him avoid the crap he had (pre Kathleen Brennan). Not that Glastonbury is crap, but that he'd have less say over performing.

*sigh*

He didn't headline - but I was thinking the same thing.

Ah of course. But yeah, as below.

The stage has changed a bit since John Fogerty played, mind.

I'm not saying there's no room on the West Holts bill for the odd 'white man playing the blues', yer Dr John's and yer Seasick Steve's and whatnot, but given that the rest of the fest is dominated by rock music West Holts should (and seems to be) striving to be a bit more diverse than that.

I still think ZZ Top on the Pyramid is a risk though.

I've never met a girl who liked him. Quite irritating.

My missus does. Some of it anyway. Not the growly pots and pans as percussion stuff as much though. She doesn't have a choice really. I told her I'd chop her head off and put it in the fridge if she complained about him.

Mrs Scruff quite likes him. She'd never put him on, but if I have it on she enjoys it and she'd be there in a flash if he toured.

Plan forming. I'll put on Blue Valentine as an easy intro, and work up from there. Cool.

edit

heh, heh, I'm listening, but I've used the Mortal Injury Jokercard quite recently, so I'll have to wait another week before I use it again.

Edited by carlosj

Not in afternoon surely?

If you look at some of the other 'vintage' acts that have played mid afternoon recently outwith the Legends Slot - BB King, Don MacLean, Slash, Willie Nelson, etc. then I don't see why ZZ Top wouldn't storm it.

If they can stomach being on the bill before someone like Lily Allen, that is.

That;s what I'm saying - no risk at all. It'd all be in their court as you say, as to how precious they are about placing.

Oh I was really only referring to them being higher up the bill. Someone mentioned subbing to the headliner?

Mid afternoon would be a winner of course. But we've no idea how arsey (if at all) they are about where they play.