• Replies 37.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• eFestivals

• FloorFiller

• Matt42

• Rose-Colored Boy

As a massive Springsteen fan, this is tough, but I will admit this was perhaps the least inspiring performance I've seen him give (of 12 shows I've seen).

A few factors such as he was touring undoubtedly the worse album of his career (WOAD),and he made absolutely no concessions to the casuals, playing the same kind of set he always plays, plus the weight of expectation was huge.

That said, it can hardly be classed as a 'bad' performance, just somewhat short of the mind-blowing event that us faithful had been promising.

Did anyone see him at IOW in '12? - I thought he killed that one.

He almost killed me at Glastonbury (of boredom) :-). In fairness I have never been a fan, but thought I would give him a go and kept waiting for him to get exciting, but for me that never happened.

People I know who like him say his set was better suited for his fans, which makes sense because it didn't work for me.

As a massive Springsteen fan, this is tough, but I will admit this was perhaps the least inspiring performance I've seen him give (of 12 shows I've seen).

A few factors such as he was touring undoubtedly the worse album of his career (WOAD),and he made absolutely no concessions to the casuals, playing the same kind of set he always plays, plus the weight of expectation was huge.

That said, it can hardly be classed as a 'bad' performance, just somewhat short of the mind-blowing event that us faithful had been promising.

Did anyone see him at IOW in '12? - I thought he killed that one.

I’ve said it before on here, but I’m not sure if a changed setlist would have made any difference to the non-believers enjoyment other than sticking Born in the USA in there. If you don’t know Badlands, Johnny 99 and Prove It, then its unlikely you would know Rosalita, Junglelands or Darlington County. It wasn’t my favourite gig of his but I still thought it was incredibly special. The River and Out in the Street were particular highlights for me.

There were quite a few in my group who were seeing him for the first time that were blown away by it.

Prince had some big pop hits in the 80s, but lets not forget, by the 90s he'd become one of the biggest laughing stocks going. Somehow, without doing much since he's become a legend. Music fans are funny/stupid

Most long running artists go through periods of being jokes or not relevant look at Dylan in 80s and 90s, Fleetwood Mac up to a few years, Johnny Cash considered himself irrelevant till his Glasto performance, which made him cry relishing he was still relevant.

I’ve said it before on here, but I’m not sure if a changed setlist would have made any difference to the non-believers enjoyment other than sticking Born in the USA in there. If you don’t know Badlands, Johnny 99 and Prove It, then its unlikely you would know Rosalita, Junglelands or Darlington County. It wasn’t my favourite gig of his but I still thought it was incredibly special. The River and Out in the Street were particular highlights for me.

There were quite a few in my group who were seeing him for the first time that were blown away by it.

agree, the only other one he could have stuck in was 'streets of philadelphia'

I’ve said it before on here, but I’m not sure if a changed setlist would have made any difference to the non-believers enjoyment other than sticking Born in the USA in there.

The setlist was all wrong from the start.

Coma Girl, Badland, Prove it, Lucky Day, Outlaw Pete, Out in the Street, Working in a Dream, Seeds, Johnny 99, Tom Joad, Raise Your Hand.

In hindsight, what the fuck was he thinking?

Philadelphia, Im on Fire, Born in the USA, Bobby Jean, Tenth Avenue Freeze Out, Blinded by the Light, Spirit in the Night, Jungleland, Atlantic City, Racing in the street, Darkness on the Edge of Town........ ????

Great example of someone just not "getting" Glasto.

Edited by The Nal

Prince had some big pop hits in the 80s, but lets not forget, by the 90s he'd become one of the biggest laughing stocks going. Somehow, without doing much since he's become a legend. Music fans are funny/stupid

When you reduce an artists reputation to merely the hits they had, you get a pretty incomplete picture of their actual achievements. Not only has Prince been touring pretty solidly since the golden era, and wowing audiences wherever he plays, but his influence on popular music runs deeper than most other artists. Admittedly his recorded output since then is not stellar, but that simply is not the whole picture.

'Laughing stock' is somewhat unfair. People will always laugh at eccentric behavior, but I think that reflects more on those laughing than the target of their derision.

Part of me thinks its just an easter related tweet, the other part is getting carried away again! sunday would be perfect,Stone Roses resurrection, Glasto Headliner and new album would be perfect.

I agree. Pretty sure we are dreaming tho to be fair so I'm gonna try (and fail) to mind block it

Prince would probably pull the biggest 'I'm just there as it's (insert name) playing Glastonbury!!!' crowd of all time.

I imagine the vast majority of his setlist would bore a lot of people, before the singalongs of 1999, Kiss and Purple Rain momentarily kick it into life before the kids get their selfie sticks back out.

Part of me thinks its just an easter related tweet, the other part is getting carried away again! sunday would be perfect,Stone Roses resurrection, Glasto Headliner and new album would be perfect.

I'm with you on this! Really trying not to get my hopes up, but it would just be perfect!

I managed to escape the Pyramid field that year, but had to crawl over other poor punters who had fallen asleep trying to flee.

Ha! You probably bumped into me so. I was probably the most drunk I have ever been at Glastonbury just before his set and my mates just dumped me in some randomers chair before he came on and I fell fast asleep. Out for the count. A bit into the gig they wanted to leave as they were not feeling it at all and so woke me up afraid id freak out at them wanting to leave. I stood up, looked at the Boss for a second and went "ah I cant be arsed with this, I have never really liked you" and we wandered off to get some cod n chips...............

Edited by ThomThomDrum

Coma Girl, Badland, Prove it, Lucky Day, Outlaw Pete, Out in the Street, Working in a Dream, Seeds, Johnny 99, Tom Joad, Raise Your Hand.

Philadelphia, Im on Fire, Born in the USA, Bobby Jean, Tenth Avenue Freeze Out, Blinded by the Light, Spirit in the Night, Jungleland, Atlantic City, Racing in the street, Darkness on the Edge of Town........ ????

hahaha, god knows...i think he's so used to playing for mega fans

my fav moment of that gig was the couple next to me- 'well lets see if he plays born in the USA first, otherwise lets go..'

I wasn't complaining at the time, even if he'd dropped tenth avenue or sherry, I doubt it would have swayed non believers. At the time I thought the Strummer tribute was a great idea.