Acid_Haze

The setlist was all wrong from the start.

Coma Girl, Badland, Prove it, Lucky Day, Outlaw Pete, Out in the Street, Working in a Dream, Seeds, Johnny 99, Tom Joad, Raise Your Hand.

In hindsight, what the fuck was he thinking?

Philadelphia, Im on Fire, Born in the USA, Bobby Jean, Tenth Avenue Freeze Out, Blinded by the Light, Spirit in the Night, Jungleland, Atlantic City, Racing in the street, Darkness on the Edge of Town........ ????

Great example of someone just not "getting" Glasto.

They got it now Robbie.

• Replies 37.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• eFestivals

• FloorFiller

• Matt42

• Rose-Colored Boy

Glasto crowd would know more Stone Roses songs than prince. without a doubt

100%

I actually don't know anyone personally under the age of 25 that is either a fan of Prince or knows more than 4-5 songs. Of course they out there, but they're a dwindling minority. Only Madonna is on course to rivalling Princes lack of modern day relevance IMO.

Still. I've heard his shows are entertaining...

Did anyone see him at IOW in '12? - I thought he killed that one.

Yeah, saw him at Glastonbury and IOW.

You're right, the IOW set was better by a country mile. There were loads of people on the IOW forum afterwards saying that it was amongst the best (if not THE best) headliner ever.

Shame that he played Glastonbury as one of his first ever festival dates.

Prince would probably pull the biggest 'I'm just there as it's (insert name) playing Glastonbury!!!' crowd of all time.

I imagine the vast majority of his setlist would bore a lot of people, before the singalongs of 1999, Kiss and Purple Rain momentarily kick it into life before the kids get their selfie sticks back out.

plus:

I Wanna Be Your Lover

Controversy

When Doves Cry

I Would Die 4 U

Little Red Corvette

Raspberry Beret

i'm not a Prince fan really, but surely anyone with a general interest in music knows those to hear?

When you reduce an artists reputation to merely the hits they had, you get a pretty incomplete picture of their actual achievements. Not only has Prince been touring pretty solidly since the golden era, and wowing audiences wherever he plays, but his influence on popular music runs deeper than most other artists. Admittedly his recorded output since then is not stellar, but that simply is not the whole picture.

'Laughing stock' is somewhat unfair. People will always laugh at eccentric behavior, but I think that reflects more on those laughing than the target of their derision.

I think Dylan and Cash are different because, whilst they may have been seen as out of touch/irrelevant at certain points, the work they did in their prime was not really questioned in terms of credibility. Fleetwood Mac and, as others have mention Springsteen, are a similar case to Prince, in that their output when they were actually selling lots of records was seen as less credible than it is now.

I personally think it’s mostly down to very careful management of their legacy.

plus:

I Wanna Be Your Lover

Controversy

When Doves Cry

I Would Die 4 U

Little Red Corvette

Raspberry Beret

i'm not a Prince fan really, but surely anyone with a general interest in music knows those to hear?

see i thought this too but was shot down when suggesting it not long ago. i'd say Prince has far more recognisable songs than the Roses do - his mammoth back catalogue vs their two albums alone ensures that

I actually don't know anyone personally under the age of 25 that is either a fan of Prince or knows more than 4-5 songs. Of course they out there, but they're a dwindling minority. Only Madonna is on course to rivalling Princes lack of modern day relevance IMO.

I guarantee that the same holds true for Stevie Wonder.

Yeah, saw him at Glastonbury and IOW.

You're right, the IOW set was better by a country mile. There were loads of people on the IOW forum afterwards saying that it was amongst the best (if not THE best) headliner ever.

Shame that he played Glastonbury as one of his first ever festival dates.

The IOW setlist benefited from him touring a far better album at that point. And he wasn't afraid to play Born in the USA.

On a a personal level, I've still to hear him play Incident live, I need to satisfy that goal!!

see i thought this too but was shot down when suggesting it not long ago. i'd say Prince has far more recognisable songs than the Roses do - his mammoth back catalogue vs their two albums alone ensures that

absolutely the roses just have about 5 indie disco classics and thats it...

This was Prince's setlist from Hop Farm a few years back

We Live 2 Get Funky (inc. Rave Un2 The Joy Fantastic)
Let's Go Crazy
Delirious
Let's Go Crazy (reprise)
Little Red Corvette
Nothing Compares 2 U
Take Me With U
Raspberry Beret
Cream
Cool (inc. Don't Stop 'Til You Get Enough)
Let's Work
U Got The Look
Make You Feel My Love
Purple Rain

Kiss
Controversy
Play That Funky Music
Controversy (reprise, inc. Housequake chant)

Everyday People (with Larry Graham)
Come Together (with Larry Graham, Ashling Biscuit Cole)
I Want To Take You Higher (with Larry Graham, Ashling Biscuit Cole)

If I Was Your Girlfriend
Dance (Disco Heat)
Baby I'm A Star

I'd have no complaints with this. He'd undoubtedly throw a few new album tracks in there, but this is a great mix of hits/songs the majority of people will know, covers and songs more seasoned fans will appreciate.

Edited by SonOfTroyMcClure

plus:

I Wanna Be Your Lover

Controversy

When Doves Cry

I Would Die 4 U

Little Red Corvette

Raspberry Beret

+

Alphabet St

Sign o' The times

U got the Look

The Most Beautiful Girl in the World

Let's go crazy

Gett off

And...

Nothing Compares 2 U

I feel for you

plus:

I Wanna Be Your Lover

Controversy

When Doves Cry

I Would Die 4 U

Little Red Corvette

Raspberry Beret

+ Sign o' the Times - certified banger.

'I Wanna Be Adored'
'Elephant Stone'
'Ten Storey Love Song'
'Standing Here'
'Going Down'
'Shoot You Down'
'Fools Gold'
'Something's Burning'
'Waterfall'
'Don't Stop'
'She Bangs the Drums'
'Love Spreads'
'This Is the One'
'Made Of Stone'
'Breaking Into Heaven'
'I Am The Resurrection'

Prince couldnt top that.

Can we drop the whole Prince thing, its killing me.

Year after year Prince is rumoured. Year after Year it is not prince.

Has anyone perhaps thought the Sunday headliner is not that strong hence the lack of information from GFL so far. Let the balances be paid and then release a sub standard sunday headliner.

Unless you're massively into The Stone Roses and Prince or you've not really listened to either it's pretty hard to gauge

I'm obsessed with the Roses and don't really get Prince so obviously I'd side with The Stone Roses

I'd give anything for them to do the Sunday but I just can't see it happening

I can't really gather if there's anything behind the Prince rumours or it's just because he was close last year and we have so little to go off this year