Acid_Haze

and let's face it shall we? With true honesty? That's a list of shit songs.

And they're bad enough as the originals, so quite why anyone would want to hear bad metal versions of them I've no idea.

You're more than welcome to him. It says more about your ears than mine. :)

as i was reading this, Let's Go Crazy came on the radio.

You're right.

• Replies 37.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• eFestivals

• FloorFiller

• Matt42

• Rose-Colored Boy

The Roses and Prince would both attract huge, but different, crowds.

The huge 'sing-a-long moments' would be around 5/6 songs for both, like it or lump it.

To be honest, you could make the same 'it'll only work if the crowd are over 30' argument for approximately half of the headline acts over the last 6/7 years.

Don't think that's true.

The idea that no one under 30 knows any Roses songs

Not what I said..

Booking an act that would play a set made up largely of album tracks from the late '80's, when the organisers have been fairly open about wanting to entice a younger crowd to the festival, doesn't fit. IMO.

Actually this whole thread brings up one of my greatest bugbears about the whole festival thing. I simply don't like 'big singalongs' - I still remember Oasis '95 being just awful because all I could really here were the dozens of burly blokes around me singing every word in tonelessly flat drones. Blur '09 was similarly marred - and I know I'm in the minority with that. I would much rather hear something unpredictable and transcendent than attend a team karaoke event.

And while I'm at it, I'm kind of fed up of the whole, 'I've not heard that many of their songs' attitude. Honestly, it's like a boring dad leaning into the room, asking 'Who's this then?' 'Nirvana' 'Never heard of 'em?' like that's some kind of caveat for acceptability. I hadn't heard that much Arcade Fire or Kanye, but that should not be a basis on which a headliner should be booked!

I never understand this point of view (unless I've misread it) that the band have to be from 'your era' in order for you to be a big fan.

I agree with that.

But from the opposite end, if you lived thru it you remember how its goes (big with the mums, those who bought 2 singles a year, and Texas fans), while those who were five or have been told by Mum how great he is are buying the myth.

Edited by eFestivals

Is it just me that keeps forgetting we actually have two headliners confirmed. Like CONFIRMED, not TBC on the rumours page but actually confirmed by the festival.

On further thought, it's making me start to think the lineup won't be out this week. Theoretically 2 of the biggest names at the festival are out...

I still want the lineup, but I'm starting understand the 'greed' argument a little bit more.

Yes it's just you

Is it just me that keeps forgetting we actually have two headliners confirmed. Like CONFIRMED, not TBC on the rumours page but actually confirmed by the festival.

On further thought, it's making me start to think the lineup won't be out this week. Theoretically 2 of the biggest names at the festival are out...

I still want the lineup, but I'm starting understand the 'greed' argument a little bit more.

almost certainly.

I can believe it.

If you'd heard people banging on about how he only ever shits gold niggests and then you actually saw what he does, it's hardly a surprise that you'd be disappointed.

Prince is about as cool as Stevie Wonder dropping to his knees guitar-hero style, as he did.

To be fair, at Hop Farm he seemed to understand what was expected of a Prince festival set. If he tried to do all those weird, terminally dull funk/hard rock rearrangements of his songs at Glastonbury his set would tank catastrophically.

Not what I said..

Booking an act that would play a set made up largely of album tracks from the late '80's, when the organisers have been fairly open about wanting to entice a younger crowd to the festival, doesn't fit. IMO.

They've already booked 2 headliners who are heavily aimed at under 30s.

Should they aim all headliners at the younger crowd?

The Roses album tracks are no ordinary album tracks either

Edited by Space Shanty

Yea i go to Glasto in a large group of about 25+ of us. all between 22-30, and Prince isnt relevent at all. However everyone likes or loves The Roses. Prince really isnt as popular as people are making out

And everyone I know likes Prince, or at least prefers Prince to the Stone Roses.

I know people who aren't big music fans who could name a couple of Prince songs who don't even know who the Stone Roses are.

It means nothing. Too much bias in the sampling.