• Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• jeffie

• lucyginger

• thurlow84

• A Guy Called Matt

Read up, factor 50 is not good.

I had a quick look and found some people saying it might not be any better than factor 30. Any links on the the problems you could provide?

Everything that is not good will be good before long and then not good again!!

The difference between factor 15 and factor 50 is so very small it is pointless spending the money on it - just reapply once or twice a day.

Also the expensive brands contain exactly the same as the cheaper one - so save cash and buy unbranded stuff (Malibu used to be one but was bought out by a big company and is now more expensive!!).

The whole industry is, IMHO, a big con feeding of our fear on skin cancer.

Be sensible, stay out of the sun in the hottest parts of the day and expose yourself for 30 mins at a time with factor 15 on and you should be fine - even with ginger white skin!!!

You might gather I do not like large companies ripping us off!!

I have to disagree Matt! I can feel myself burn if I go out in the sun for more than 10 minutes in less than factor 30! I am very sensitive to the sun though, much more than anyone else I know.

Anyway, lovely day again! Got a meal in a pub garden planned tomorrow, then another pub for drinking and shenanigans for a friends birthday. Huzzah!!

Everything that is not good will be good before long and then not good again!!

The difference between factor 15 and factor 50 is so very small it is pointless spending the money on it - just reapply once or twice a day.

Also the expensive brands contain exactly the same as the cheaper one - so save cash and buy unbranded stuff (Malibu used to be one but was bought out by a big company and is now more expensive!!).

The whole industry is, IMHO, a big con feeding of our fear on skin cancer.

Be sensible, stay out of the sun in the hottest parts of the day and expose yourself for 30 mins at a time with factor 15 on and you should be fine - even with ginger white skin!!!

You might gather I do not like large companies ripping us off!!

Whilst I'm sure that's true, I've had bad experiences with some of the cheaper suncreams stinking and causing really bad stinging if they get near the eyes. I have noticed a difference between 15 and 50, being a blonde with ginger tendencies.

I love this stuff, it's expensive, but is refreshing rather than claggy and with British summertime being what it is, I don't use that much, so £7.50 quid is still fine:

http://www.tesco.com/groceries/product/details/?id=268198372

IDShot_225x225.jpg

I have to disagree Matt! I can feel myself burn if I go out in the sun for more than 10 minutes in less than factor 30! I am very sensitive to the sun though, much more than anyone else I know.

Anyway, lovely day again! Got a meal in a pub garden planned tomorrow, then another pub for drinking and shenanigans for a friends birthday. Huzzah!!

I tend to agree, but wonder if it's confirmation bias or not? Either way, I was out for an hour in the midday sun with my branded factor 50 and didn't even feel a twinge - I can normally feel if I'm starting to burn.

If we're talking about saving £4 a year, then I'll continue to keep getting ripped off, I'd rather not experiment to find out than factor 30 is ok after all. I'm planning on keeping this skin for a few more years!

There was a report , earlier this year I think, that showed many or the more expensive ones were actually worse than the cheaper ones - quite how they did the research I do not know nor can I remember where it was.

If you have doubts then obviously use what makes you happy and safe - I used to use factor 50 in Kenya, and a couple of years ago I burnt on my legs - I now use max factor 30 and mostly 15 - and (famous last words) have not burnt since!!

I was ranting a bit before me thinks - me is definately a corporation disliker :-)

There was a report , earlier this year I think, that showed many or the more expensive ones were actually worse than the cheaper ones - quite how they did the research I do not know nor can I remember where it was.

If you have doubts then obviously use what makes you happy and safe - I used to use factor 50 in Kenya, and a couple of years ago I burnt on my legs - I now use max factor 30 and mostly 15 - and (famous last words) have not burnt since!!

I was ranting a bit before me thinks - me is definately a corporation disliker :-)

Not sure if you meant you burnt in Kenya, if so that's probably the critical variable rather than the kind of sun cream!

I don't want to sound like I'm not receptive, if there are problems with my sunblock then I'd like to switch to something better, but if we're just talking about saving a couple of quid then I'm not bothered, I'll just stick with what I'm using now.

Not sure if you meant you burnt in Kenya, if so that's probably the critical variable rather than the kind of sun cream!

I don't want to sound like I'm not receptive, if there are problems with my sunblock then I'd like to switch to something better, but if we're just talking about saving a couple of quid then I'm not bothered, I'll just stick with what I'm using now.

Yes, I burnt whilst in Kenya - me rubbish with words LOL

Absolutely appreciate what you are saying and would never want anyone to burn but after burning I started to question...... hence what I now think..

But then I do keep out the sun as much as I can.

Yes, I burnt whilst in Kenya - me rubbish with words LOL

Absolutely appreciate what you are saying and would never want anyone to burn but after burning I started to question...... hence what I now think..

But then I do keep out the sun as much as I can.

I burnt really badly at Glasto 2004, had weeping sores over my head and had was sent from the medical tent being told to get a prescription sombrero. Got quite a well-deserved telling off for being reckless in the sun. Since then I've just gone for the strongest I could find and seem to be ok these days.

Did you start using factor 15/30 when you got back from Kenya, or did you start using it over there + were still fine? Of course, the effect of a base-tan is not to be underestimated.

I burn due to my eyesight condition. I have to avoid the full sun and use factor 30 or 50 I must admit can't see much difference but I have to be careful and that probably is why I see no difference.

Just use what works for you and what gives you confidence.

Matty how was the book launch?

I burnt really badly at Glasto 2004, had weeping sores over my head and had was sent from the medical tent being told to get a prescription sombrero. Got quite a well-deserved telling off for being reckless in the sun. Since then I've just gone for the strongest I could find and seem to be ok these days.

Did you start using factor 15/30 when you got back from Kenya, or did you start using it over there + were still fine? Of course, the effect of a base-tan is not to be underestimated.

After I burnt I used whatever I had with me which was the remains of the fact 50 and then, I think, some 15 - but I stayed very covered up.

Once I got home I then went to 15/30 and have been back to Kenya several times using 15/30 and not burnt...... perhaps I am more careful without realising it but when I have camera in hand and a good target I tend not to think about what bits of me are exposed!!!

Agree on the base tan bit - a definate good thing if you can................ says the man with a very very white torso!!

I burn due to my eyesight condition. I have to avoid the full sun and use factor 30 or 50 I must admit can't see much difference but I have to be careful and that probably is why I see no difference.

Just use what works for you and what gives you confidence.

Matty how was the book launch?

Given that I burn so easily, I feel more comfortable with my factor 50!

Yes, how was the launch?

Stay careful is always the best way - you will find out later in August how much Ali and I stay out the sun........ even bought a new awning for our new tent to add extra shade!!

The launch was horrible - a media phrenzy and I had to make a speech!!!!!

Horrible as I prefer to stay in the background and be the one taking the photos!!

All that said it was a good turn out and we sold quite a lot of books and will have lots of good publicity. This time next year we shall be........................

Just the same as we are now just a year older!!

Meeja launch sounds good ;-)

Re tanning and suncream, I have a crop circle gaining prominence on my head which needs protecting. I use 15-30 depending on where I am and how strong the sun is, but I also stay quite covered up.

Ponchos have arrived, I can now sign up to the Swiss Army.

Maybe I need to get out more, but does anybody know why/how the land is clear of cowpats before the festival, or are the cows trained to use trays?

Meeja launch sounds good ;-)

Re tanning and suncream, I have a crop circle gaining prominence on my head which needs protecting. I use 15-30 depending on where I am and how strong the sun is, but I also stay quite covered up.

Ponchos have arrived, I can now sign up to the Swiss Army.

Maybe I need to get out more, but does anybody know why/how the land is clear of cowpats before the festival, or are the cows trained to use trays?

Answer to the later is not a clue but I presume a human has a nice job of clearing them all up.

Never heard it called a crop circle before - I have one as well!! I let my scalp slowly get used to the sun and always have a hat with me when out just in case. It is, as S2H knows only too well, the worst place to burn bar other private areas so I am told!!