• Replies 24.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• jeffie

• lucyginger

• thurlow84

• A Guy Called Matt

I've been really bad with my eating today. I'm a 24K breadaholic and it's just so friggin' bad for me. I'm giving it up for Lent (ironic that I should annually use a Christian observance to discipline myself, when I am so unconditionally atheist...libertarian, mind), which will be my hardest Lent abstension ever.

OK, new game:

What was the most difficult thing you ever gave up for Lent (and succeeded in lasting the full 40!)?

I've done chocolate a couple of times and that was OK. Peanut butter last year was tricky!

Ben

I've been really bad with my eating today. I'm a 24K breadaholic and it's just so friggin' bad for me. I'm giving it up for Lent (ironic that I should annually use a Christian observance to discipline myself, when I am so unconditionally atheist...libertarian, mind), which will be my hardest Lent abstension ever.

OK, new game:

What was the most difficult thing you ever gave up for Lent (and succeeded in lasting the full 40!)?

I've done chocolate a couple of times and that was OK. Peanut butter last year was tricky!

Ben

Goin the gym.

Aki

OK, new game:

Ben

I have never partaken in Lent but I did do dry January. Now that was hard!

I would like to dedicate my 2000th post to the weather gods of all nations and cultures. They are just and merciful, and I trust them to bless us with glorious sunshine in June.

Also, a further dedication to the wonderful people of the NFR NFC team. A lovelier bunch of nutters you couldn't hope to meet :)

Goodnight all,

Gumby x

I have never partaken in Lent but I did do dry January. Now that was hard!

Your avatar makes that statement no great surprise!

My wife did a dry October last year. I didn't realise until half way through a meal out with pals when I realised that her 'glass of wine' was awfully clear, and hadn't been filled up several times. Sparkling water, and the little minx hadn't told me she was doing it!

Ben

Never gave anything up for Lent or done new years resolutions but I did give up drinking the booze for about a year and a half. That first session when I went back on the sauce. Jesus wept, I was ill but it was the port whatdunnit.

I learned in medical school that ~20% alcohol gets you pissed quickest, as absorption is optimised at that concentration, ml for ml. So, if getting twatted superquick is your goal (we hilariously described it as playing catch-up), then sherry or port is the way to go. Hitting that post 18 dry months was only ever going to be messy, HMV.

Happy day after birthday, btw. Are you like my wife - does your birthday last a full week?

Ben

I loves me Port I does but it does rather go to ones head.

No my birthday doesn't last a week anymore, barely lasted a day. Went out on Saturday night and was woefully ill all day Sunday. Can't remember the last time I actually had to have a basin beside the sofa. I wouldn't mind but I rarely even get a hangover from Gin an didn't mix my drinks. So taking it easy this week.

Thanks though Ben. :D

I loves me Port I does but it does rather go to ones head.

No my birthday doesn't last a week anymore, barely lasted a day. Went out on Saturday night and was woefully ill all day Sunday. Can't remember the last time I actually had to have a basin beside the sofa. I wouldn't mind but I rarely even get a hangover from Gin an didn't mix my drinks. So taking it easy this week.

Thanks though Ben. :D

I took up drinking G & T's when I met my wife - who lives on the stuff. I pointed out to her after this that I no longer suffered hangovers. She said that's because of the tonic and the ice re-hydrating me. Seems a fair enough explanation. I love port too, but it's a bastard the next day.

I've never given up anything for lent or New Year either. I had given up drink for about 2 years and fags for about a year and a half when I went to Glastonbury in 2011. I had decided that I'd just do drugs instead at the festival. I lasted one night without a drink or a fag. I then started drinking and smoking at about 8am on the Thursday. I eventually went to bed just before U2 started playing on the Friday night. Now there's handy.

Your avatar makes that statement no great surprise!

My wife did a dry October last year. I didn't realise until half way through a meal out with pals when I realised that her 'glass of wine' was awfully clear, and hadn't been filled up several times. Sparkling water, and the little minx hadn't told me she was doing it!

Ben

I don't think I look that hammered haha! I have quite a few trips away per year so every photo I have is with a drink in hand. I tend not to drink at home then ruin it all when away.

Never gave anything up for Lent or done new years resolutions but I did give up drinking the booze for about a year and a half. That first session when I went back on the sauce. Jesus wept, I was ill but it was the port whatdunnit.

Port. Ah Port, lost me many a day at a festival that stuff has. Fair play giving up the gargle for a year and a half. Wow.

I took up drinking G & T's when I met my wife - who lives on the stuff. I pointed out to her after this that I no longer suffered hangovers. She said that's because of the tonic and the ice re-hydrating me. Seems a fair enough explanation. I love port too, but it's a bastard the next day.

Strongly agree with your wife Yog, must be the tonic, never get a hangover off that beautiful drink. Unless I mix it with other boozes.....which, I'm not gonna lie...I do....We all do!!

I gave up pancakes for lent once, in fact it went so well I lasted nearly a year before I had them again

Ha ha. I might try that one..

As for Lent, I give up giving up...I'm pretty good at it and stick to it all year.

I have never done anything for Lent and could not actually tell you when Lent is anyway.

I did a dry Tuesday once, does that count?

Matty, that's shocking! Does your user name indicate your age? If so, you should be ashamed of yourself, young man!

I'm a 45 year old, card-carrying, non-militant atheist (devout). However, I consider it essential to have knowledge of that which I refute! As such, my Christian (and other religious) knowledge is not 'arf bad.

Lent is the 40 days and nights from Ash Wednesday up to Easter Day, you numpty! Jesus was, reputedly, in the desert with not a lot to eat - hence the 'going without' bit.

What do they teach kids these days, tsk, tsk...:)

Ben