NFR NFC >>>>>>2015

guypjfreak

Matty, that's shocking! Does your user name indicate your age? If so, you should be ashamed of yourself, young man!

I'm a 45 year old, card-carrying, non-militant atheist (devout). However, I consider it essential to have knowledge of that which I refute! As such, my Christian (and other religious) knowledge is not 'arf bad.

Lent is the 40 days and nights from Ash Wednesday up to Easter Day, you numpty! Jesus was, reputedly, in the desert with not a lot to eat - hence the 'going without' bit.

What do they teach kids these days, tsk, tsk... :)

Ben

My user name does indeed reveal my age - 50 later this year as I was born in 1965 but thanks for calling me young :-)

I was taught Christianity at school but then and definately since I had little or no interest in the teachings - I looked at it all and decided that I did not believe all that was being taught.

Since then I have lost the knowledge of what and when lent is.

• Replies 24.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• jeffie

• lucyginger

• thurlow84

• A Guy Called Matt

Morning all, I think I saw the sun on my drive to work this morning! Can't be sure but I think it was trying, just flexing it's muscle's. :) :)

Morning all, I think I saw the sun on my drive to work this morning! Can't be sure but I think it was trying, just flexing it's muscle's. :) :)

Tis all good - the Sun is having it's winter rest up there behind the clouds building it's strength for a prolonged stay during June.

I took up drinking G & T's when I met my wife - who lives on the stuff. I pointed out to her after this that I no longer suffered hangovers. She said that's because of the tonic and the ice re-hydrating me. Seems a fair enough explanation. I love port too, but it's a bastard the next day.

Port is a demon for hangovers, but is great to sup. I've seen something about the spectrum of drinks that lead to hangovers more readily than others, and Port is up there as the No1 I think, due to what's in it. Gin and the other clear spirits are the ones least likely to have the additives leading to bad heads.

Obviously, drink wisely, y'all.

I only meant that you were holding one, CG.

Must be a finbarr!?

My user name does indeed reveal my age - 50 later this year as I was born in 1965 but thanks for calling me young :-)

I was taught Christianity at school but then and definately since I had little or no interest in the teachings - I looked at it all and decided that I did not believe all that was being taught.

Since then I have lost the knowledge of what and when lent is.

You did better than me, then...I didn't believe any of what was being taught!

But knowledge is power, Matty - if you're gonna have a pop at someone for their delusional beliefs, it helps if you sound as if you know what you're talking about! Or just shout louder than anyone else, I guess (*standard argument model*)!

All grey, but dry in Brum.

Ben

Morning all!!

Re my FB status Yeti- you got it! Bad grammar is bad!! ;)

As for Lent, I tend to give up will power. However this year will be different as I am "being good" until the end of May. I'm not ruling anything out at all, but just no big benders til then. So far this year I have had 3 or 4 alcoholic drinks, 2 fags, and nothing else in the way of "naughties". I shall be overdosing on pancakes next week though.

Naughty Matt for not remembering Lent!!

You did better than me, then...I didn't believe any of what was being taught!

But knowledge is power, Matty - if you're gonna have a pop at someone for their delusional beliefs, it helps if you sound as if you know what you're talking about! Or just shout louder than anyone else, I guess (*standard argument model*)!

All grey, but dry in Brum.

Ben

If someone chooses to believe I will never have a pop or argue against them - it is their choice, just not one that I follow.

The only time I will ever have ago at someone for following a religion is if they misuse that religion to do bad things. Growing up in the 70's and early 80's taught me that.

I don't think lack of lent knowledge would stop me taking then on verbally though - I do have plenty of religious knowledge, tis just the finer details I forgot................ I needed more room for musical knowledge in the old brain.

If someone chooses to believe I will never have a pop or argue against them - it is their choice, just not one that I follow.

The only time I will ever have ago at someone for following a religion is if they misuse that religion to do bad things. Growing up in the 70's and early 80's taught me that.

I don't think lack of lent knowledge would stop me taking then on verbally though - I do have plenty of religious knowledge, tis just the finer details I forgot................ I needed more room for musical knowledge in the old brain.

I was only teasing about the pop, Matt! I'm actually very much the libertarian, regarding one's beliefs. I do get a bit sad and frustrated, however, at constructs that are just so unfair and non-egalitarian, projected under the banner of a religion or a god's will - banned education for girls/women in certain societies etc. And then yes, of course, atrocities commited in the name of god (lower case intended). My dad, Jewish by heritage, but a non-believer also, calls such acts 'the ultimate blasphemy', which is quite insightful for an old bugger...

Ben

I was only teasing about the pop, Matt! I'm actually very much the libertarian, regarding one's beliefs. I do get a bit sad and frustrated, however, at constructs that are just so unfair and non-egalitarian, projected under the banner of a religion or a god's will - banned education for girls/women in certain societies etc. And then yes, of course, atrocities commited in the name of god (lower case intended). My dad, Jewish by heritage, but a non-believer also, calls such acts 'the ultimate blasphemy', which is quite insightful for an old bugger...

Ben

I know you were teasing - I try and write with humour but have days where it escapes me. Today is one of those cos for no real reason (apart from the human race is vile) I am rather pissed off today.

To end the Religion thing I have one word to say as I have just remembered something very important.

CABBAGES

Politics, religion and similar ore cabbage topics and mus be referred to as such.

Moving us away from mattyc's cabbages and seeing as we have a few self proclaimed music snobs in our ranks.

A -What are people's favourite 3 albums?

B- favourite guilty pleasure albums, the ones we're almost ashamed to admit we like?

I hate question A as trying to get a top three is so very difficult, it changes every day I think!!

I will give it a go though........................ watch this space!!

Top three Albums (based on how often I go back to them)

1) Never Mind the Bollocks - Sex Pistols

2) Back in Black - AC/DC

3) Deleted Scenes on the Cutting Room Floor - Caro Emerald

Special runners up prize goes to the VirginMarys and the Streets as they came very close!!

Guilty Pleasures?????? Not really as I don't class any as that. Some might say Clean Bandit is but I just like them.

Edited the original post so it's fav albums and crapest albums we've bought now....seen as none of us have any guilty pleasures ha

Crapest album ever purchased is very very hard as in the 80's and early 90's I was a DJ so had to buy all those popular artists albums like Jason Donovan, Milli Vanilli to just mention 2

I think I had more crap albums than most record shops.

It's just too difficult! I'll have to do some honourable mentions...

Top recent(ish) albums (last 5 years or so):

Jenny and Johnny - I'm having fun now

Vintage Trouble - The bomb shelter sessions

Lucy Rose - Like I used to

Honourable mentions:

Of Monsters and Men - My head is an animal

White Lies - To lose my life

Black Keys - Brothers

Top albums of all time:

Pink Floyd - Animals

Marillion - Script for a jester's tear

The Smiths - Hatful of hollow

Honourable mentions:

Bob Dylan - Highway 61 revisited

Primal Scream - Screamadelica

Fun Lovin' Criminals - Come find yourself

Flaming Lips - Yoshimi battles the pink robots

Guns 'n' Roses - Appetite for destruction

Carole King - Tapestry

Pearl Jam - Ten

Love - Forever changes

Guilty pleasures:

Deacon Blue

Billy Joel

Tom Jones

Worst albums:

Toploader - Onka's big moka

Ed Sheeran - +

James Blunt - Back to bedlam

Snow Patrol - Final straw

Newton Faulkner - Hand built by robots

Sorry I've gone on so much!

It's just too difficult! I'll have to do some honourable mentions...

Top recent(ish) albums (last 5 years or so):

Vintage Trouble - The bomb shelter sessions

/quote]

Love the vintage trouble album, the only reason it doesn't make my top list is because I think it fails to show off how good they are live

I'm not even bothering with three favourite albums, I'd struggle to get down to 20.

I was thinking of asking about worst albums yesterday. Roger Taylor's Electric Fire was so bad I took it back. The worst album I still own is probably Mel B's LA State Of Mind. It's really awful.