• Replies 24.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• jeffie

• lucyginger

• thurlow84

• A Guy Called Matt

Our old dog was told she had liver problems and she would have to eat Hills food for the rest of her life. We did some snooping on the internet and found out that Burn's did a food with the same % of protein (that was the important part of the food - it had to be low protein) and was for dog's with kidney problems. We put her on that and she lived to be 19 years old. Have a look at the ingredients on the Hill's and compare it with Burn's which is more affordable and see if you can get one with the same % of ingredients. Vets like to push Hills because they get a kick back from the company if they sell it.

Thanx Dee, the main priority for Sam is fat content. I think I/d low fat is 2%. He is on normal hills I/d til tomorrow as the vet ran out of low fat!!! And tonight I've come home to one hell of a mess. He has been sick...alot... then tried to mop it up with his face and shoulders. He and the kitchen was in a right state. 2nd bath in 2 days and he has hurt his front leg whilst in a state drying himself. [Throws arms to the sky in a 'I give up' gesture!]

Thanx Dee, the main priority for Sam is fat content. I think I/d low fat is 2%. He is on normal hills I/d til tomorrow as the vet ran out of low fat!!! And tonight I've come home to one hell of a mess. He has been sick...alot... then tried to mop it up with his face and shoulders. He and the kitchen was in a right state. 2nd bath in 2 days and he has hurt his front leg whilst in a state drying himself. [Throws arms to the sky in a 'I give up' gesture!]

ERGHH! Well I had a little look at fat % in dog foods and it seems dried tends to have 9% or more fat but wet food has between 2 - 4%. Could be the way forward.

and good luck with the clearing up, not envying you there then!

ERGHH! Well I had a little look at fat % in dog foods and it seems dried tends to have 9% or more fat but wet food has between 2 - 4%. Could be the way forward.

and good luck with the clearing up, not envying you there then!

Cheers Dee, I'll check Burns out for cats then if it's similar and cheaper than Hill's. I get the latter via Quidco but it disappears every so often.

Have any of you dog people had a look at doing a raw food diet for the pooches? I tend to mix it up for my two with dry, wet and raw but mixed flavour pooches tend to be easier.

Sam has been on raw food since I got him. Vets don't know why he got poorly but now that he is he can't have it as its high protein. Got 6 months worth in the freezer!! He's been great on it for 6 years.

That's what I'm trying to do tho I don't know who to ask. I've tried googling it but it doesn't always give the fat content which is the important thing with Sam. The food recommended is 2% fat and the food he's on for a few days which is making him sick is 4% fat so I need a wet food at 2%. I'll pay for hills I/d if I have to, I just don't want to! Surprised you have time to be chatting HMV. Are you packed and ready to move?

CG, I would check out an animal specific forum for advice. I could give you the one I frequent in Ireland but its heavily moderated and the posters can be a bit prickish about animals. I stopped posting in it when I asked for advice over a bit of bother I had with a security guard reporting my dog.

CG, I would check out an animal specific forum for advice. I could give you the one I frequent in Ireland but its heavily moderated and the posters can be a bit prickish about animals. I stopped posting in it when I asked for advice over a bit of bother I had with a security guard reporting my dog.

I've tried viewing them But need expert advice rather than just opinions. I need to know what I'm feeding g him won't make his co edition worse. I'll await the response from Burns. Thanx anyway pet x

Why would they be prickish about advice about a dog on an animal forum?? Some people really wind me up! Morons!!

Three weeks till I go to Amsterdam for the first time, does anyone have any tips? Haven't planned anything yet, so need a few ideas and figured this was the place to ask.

Go to Anne Frank's House. Everyone should go there at least once in their life.

Our old dog was told she had liver problems and she would have to eat Hills food for the rest of her life. We did some snooping on the internet and found out that Burn's did a food with the same % of protein (that was the important part of the food - it had to be low protein) and was for dog's with kidney problems. We put her on that and she lived to be 19 years old. Have a look at the ingredients on the Hill's and compare it with Burn's which is more affordable and see if you can get one with the same % of ingredients. Vets like to push Hills because they get a kick back from the company if they sell it.

My friend's cat got liver damage (sadly she lost another at the same time, they both went nibbling at a toxic plant). Anyway, she's handled it by putting the cat on a raw food diet. I think she fed it a lot of raw liver and kidneys. Obviously cats and dogs are very different but it might be worth investigating.

Sorry, just read the rest of the thread!

Edited by ICGenie