• Replies 24.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• jeffie

• lucyginger

• thurlow84

• A Guy Called Matt

I am noticing a theme here with gifts from your wife..... cardigan, phone.............

The cardigan was a Christmas present, but she bought the phone in an attempt to drag me into the 21st century. In my view, she should have discussed this with me before getting the phone. However, she knew that I'd just get a rudimentary phone with big buttons, so chose to head this off at the pass and make me have a smart phone, whether I liked it or not. In retaliation I keep reminding her that I hate the phone she bought.

Maybe she likes the "older man" look?

Maybe she does. Most of her friends are OAP's. She had a child quite young and became a single parent. This ended up with her befriending OAP's during the day, while others of her age were going out on the town at night. The only downside is that her friends are all starting to die now. I have dropped her off to another one's funeral about 45 minutes ago. There is no doubt in my mind that she'll be as drunk as a Lord by about 5pm today. I wasn't aware of it before but she has in the past told me that loads of the OAP's are driving around plastered drunk. They go to each others houses for afternoon drinks and then drive home. We had one of her OAP friends visit in the afternoon two days ago. I went down to see them in the garden at about 5.30pm and she was very drunk then. By 11pm she talked about driving home (through a very slurred voice). We said she couldn't and put her up in the spare bedroom.

Maybe she does. Most of her friends are OAP's. She had a child quite young and became a single parent. This ended up with her befriending OAP's during the day, while others of her age were going out on the town at night. The only downside is that her friends are all starting to die now. I have dropped her off to another one's funeral about 45 minutes ago. There is no doubt in my mind that she'll be as drunk as a Lord by about 5pm today. I wasn't aware of it before but she has in the past told me that loads of the OAP's are driving around plastered drunk. They go to each others houses for afternoon drinks and then drive home. We had one of her OAP friends visit in the afternoon two days ago. I went down to see them in the garden at about 5.30pm and she was very drunk then. By 11pm she talked about driving home (through a very slurred voice). We said she couldn't and put her up in the spare bedroom.

Maybe it's their concept of 'just one drink' won't harm you? A friend of mine was with a farmer friend who offered him a drink, but he refused as he was driving. The old guy insisted, so he said ok, just one, and was given a huge glass of whisky. Maybe that's just farmers then.

Sorry to hear about the funeral, makes me remember some friends back where I grew up who are aging and passing on.

Edited by carlosj

Maybe it's their concept of 'just one drink' won't harm you? A friend of mine was with a farmer friend who offered him a drink, but he refused as he was driving. The old guy insisted, so he said ok, just one, and was given a huge glass of whisky. Maybe that's just farmers then.

Sorry to hear about the funeral, makes me remember some friends back where I grew up who are aging and passing on.

Oh, these OAP's know it's not going to be one drink. They go through G & T's at a ferocious rate of knots. I know because I've seen them do it and I'm the one who is constantly on drinks monitoring duty, by which I mean I'm the bar man that has to keep filling up their drinks.

This is the type of phone I'd like;

Senior_Citizen_Mobile_Phone.jpg

One that does calls and texts only. I think I'm a Luddite at heart.

You can make calls on them?!!!

Seriously I never use my phone for calls. Occasional texts. Really it's just a mobile computer.

Seriously thinking of getting an Apple watch when they come out...

Oh, these OAP's know it's not going to be one drink. They go through G & T's at a ferocious rate of knots. I know because I've seen them do it and I'm the one who is constantly on drinks monitoring duty, by which I mean I'm the bar man that has to keep filling up their drinks.

I will now look forward to being an OAP - should I get that far of course :-)

Seriously I never use my phone for calls. Occasional texts. Really it's just a mobile computer.

I don't know how you do it - use your phone as a computer that is eg to access the net. I've not even tried, and will not do so in the future, to use a mobile phone for this purpose. There's a point in size where I don't like gadgets getting smaller. I was also given a Kindle Fire as a present from my wife and I think that's the size that I set my limit at as far as internet access etc goes. Each to their own though.

I don't know how you do it - use your phone as a computer that is eg to access the net. I've not even tried, and will not do so in the future, to use a mobile phone for this purpose. There's a point in size where I don't like gadgets getting smaller. I was also given a Kindle Fire as a present from my wife and I think that's the size that I set my limit at as far as internet access etc goes. Each to their own though.

I also have a smart phone and when I have to, which thankfully is very very rare, I use it to access the interweb.

It is so flipping small though I find it a right pain to use and with my short fat fingers would never try to buy something using it else who know what I might click on!!

Morning all, talking of travel, I picked up some toothpaste samples at the dentist's this morning for future flights, and no filling either, win-win scenario... I take my triumphs while I can....

Grey b up here in Leeds, hope it's all sunny and bright where you are, especially in South America, FY, any more photos?

It's sunny today, and warm here in Mendoza. I've spent the last three days on buses traveling north from Patagonia.

Patagonia is all lakes, mountains and epic vistas, with hardly any people. The scale of it, to an Englander like myself, is difficult to comprehend. It's as beautiful a place as I've ever seen.

Here's some photos from this month so far.

IMG_20140907_141639776_zpsif1dvdtu.jpgIMG_20140910_134631757_HDR_zpsctgd8qq2.jIMG_20140910_130521936_zps30omtb3b.jpg[/urlIMG_20140910_123137092_HDR_zpsxylvfw29.jIMG_20140913_132950824_zps2sjv0mlh.jpghttp://i11.photobucket.com/albums/a190/fatyeti24/Mobile%20Uploads/2014-09/IMG_20140913_132342175_zpsfth6xlc7.jpghttp://i11.photobucket.com/albums/a190/fatyeti24/Mobile%20Uploads/2014-09/IMG_20140913_133436939_zpsr6sl5mnq.jpg[url=http://s11.photobucket.com/user/fatyeti24/media/Mobile%20Uploads/2014-09/IMG_20140915_160746823_zpsata61w8x.jpg.html]http://i11.photobucket.com/albums/a190/fatyeti24/Mobile%20Uploads/2014-09/IMG_20140915_160746823_zpsata61w8x.jpg